boat trailer psa

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i was just burned by 2 bad seals this weekend... i have a new toon with less than 1000 miles on the trailer... i regularly check the tightness and heat build up of my hubs on anything i pull... i learned yesterday that isn't always enough...

after an awesome day of fishing at rafferty (~40 fish in 2 hours for 2 of us), we headed to the ramp to get off, clean fish, and head home b4 the storms hit... while being pulled up the ramp i heard a clunk and noticed that the hub on the helm side was really loose... after cleaning fish, i pulled the cap and had greasy water running out of it... i had little for tools, no parts, and was 100 miles from home with weather coming... i tightened up the nut as much as i dared, and hit the road... made it 1 mile and stopped b4 the hub come off completely...

made some calls and found bearings in estevan, 40 miles away... also bought a tube of grease, a hammer, and a punch... got back and rebuilt the bad side and decided to also check the other side, which was the same, just not coming apart yet... cleaned the hub and shaft, packed and installed the new bearings, and got home about 5 hours late...

i was the victim of 2 bad seals... i never used to pull the covers when everything was running tight and cool... not anymore...

kind of a bland story, but i'm just trying to save everyone out there a shit show like i had on fathers day... by the way, i was not able to find new seals, so what i installed along the side of the road might be junk now also...

good luck all...

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had a bearing go out on the boat in Rugby this past weekend. Good thing I had to stop for fuel or I would have drug it until someone stopped us. Bad part about pulling a boat behind the camper. Had to leave the boat there for the week. Good thing my wife works up there so she will be able to bring it home this week after it gets fixed.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
A pontoon on a single axle trailer? that's either a very small pontoon or a recipe for disaster.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree with eyexer.

Lots of single axle pontoon trailers around - but generally limited to very short hauls (spring/fall use - in/out once each season type applications).

Wonder if you can order a 2nd axle from Triton or whoever made it and put a second one on?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd dare say 99% of boat trailer bearing failure is from air space, AKA not "full" of grease . The same thing as this egg trick happens when you back your trailer in the water with warm hubs. If the hub is full of grease there's no room for water.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been down this road also. Mine story was roadside in the DL area at o'dark thirty with mosquitos eating me alive.

The solution I use is to replace seals every 2 years, inspect bearings (Timken) and races and then repack. I spent $10 on a bearing packer and that is nice. Once you do it enough times it only takes about an hour a side.

I also bought a small Rubbermaid tub for when I travel, and in it I keep my grease gun, extra tube of grease, a tub of grease, extra set of bearings and races that are buried in the tub of grease (so they don't rust), can of break cleaner, paper towels, a $3 plastic parts pan to set parts in. I also bought a replacement hub set at walmart for $40 or what ever they cost. Gives you peace of mind. Like someone mentioned, the tough part is finding the proper size of bearings, races and seals you need in a small town.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have oil bath hubs and would not get another trailer without them, they are awesome.

My question is why the hubs became loose in the first place. Isn't there a pin that runs through and holds the packing nut so it can't come loose?

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
guy and eye... the g3 toons come with single axle with 14" tires up to 20', which mine is... anything over 20 they run tandem axles, but mainly 10" tires like on the snowmobile trailers... i'd rather have what i have... if i end up orderin a new bigger one, which i probably will, i will order it with beefed up axles and larger tires...

mm... the bearings were rusted to the point of the metal dissolving and coming apart... on the side that came apart, it was nothing but the races, inner bearing ring that goes on the axle shaft, and shrapnel...

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
that sucks

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 19' boat and a tandem axle. I can't imagine that thing on a single axle. My dad's 1850 sportfish is on a single axle and it's about destroyed from the weight of that boat. Damn dealers undersize trailers time and time again.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
muskymaniac, the bearings themselves stretch, wear out slowly causing them to get loose. the bearings used on this type thing are tapered so when they get loose you can tighten them and not replace them. remove dust cap or bearing buddy pull out the cotter tin and tighten the nut as much as needed to get the bearing tight again. I have replaced a few sets of bearing on these type spindles.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
One important thing is when you tighten the bearing spin the wheel till it starts to drag then back it off to the next cotter pin notch.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
25 years of trailer ownership, and I grease the bearings once every time I remember(every 2-3 years) and I have never had an issue.

My ProV is only a 1900, but on a dual axle trailer, I was told that any boat 18 feet and over needed to be on a two axle trailer.:;:huh

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Reviving this thread...so today I decided to grease the hubs on my 3 year old trailer (first time) - took off the first cover and go to take the little rubber dust cap off and notice it is torn. Take it off and watery bad smelling grease comes out...not good me thinks. Hooked up the grease gun and began pumping the new grease in....the bad nasty grease out...used almost an entire tube because I wanted to make sure I got all the old out...so couple questions...first is the bad smelling watery grease the result of the rubber dust cap being torn and allowing water to get in or is it the result of something far worse? Next question...do I need to get the trailer somewhere to get the bearings re-packed ASAP? I ordered some new rubber dust caps...standard size. Was going to jack the trailer tomorrow and see if the wheel is spinning freely or if there is a noticeable issue. All feedback greatly appreciated gents!

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been down this road also. Mine story was roadside in the DL area at o'dark thirty with mosquitos eating me alive.

The solution I use is to replace seals every 2 years, inspect bearings (Timken) and races and then repack. I spent $10 on a bearing packer and that is nice. Once you do it enough times it only takes about an hour a side.

I also bought a small Rubbermaid tub for when I travel, and in it I keep my grease gun, extra tube of grease, a tub of grease, extra set of bearings and races that are buried in the tub of grease (so they don't rust), can of break cleaner, paper towels, a $3 plastic parts pan to set parts in. I also bought a replacement hub set at walmart for $40 or what ever they cost. Gives you peace of mind. Like someone mentioned, the tough part is finding the proper size of bearings, races and seals you need in a small town.

I'd add a couple of seals, cotter pins, a hammer, punch and crescent wrench to go with the rest of the stuff you carry with you.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those of you who pull your boat behind a camper you can get a good wirless camera with a 7 inch monitor for about $225. I dont wire mine in, I run it off a small 12v battery taped to my ladder. Its on all the time, not only revers. Its extremely helpfull in heavy traffic like going through Denver and Phoenix. Mine is mounted high so I am looking down on my boat.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77