Ice Fishing Coats

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any experience with the Frabill I2 Jackets. They are on sale at Reeds for $79.99 and the bibs are on sale too. Also Free Shipping!

The I4 Jackets are also on sale.

I usually fish off my ATV with a fish house I can hop into and warm up but I'm more concerned if they are warm enough for riding around to and from spots on the ATV? Any help is appreciated.

Big Tiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought the Frabill FXE coat and bibs at Runnings a few years back, Best money I spent on ice fishing clothing. Spent 4 days on Devils Lake in -20 2 years ago and kept me toasty!!

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
The I2 isn’t super warm but I generally wear a sweathirt underneath and that’s enough for me. They cut wind really well and are overall a nice quality jacket.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wear 3.0 base layer and sweatshirt as well. I think I'm going im going to make the purchase in the AM.

- - - Updated - - -

I wear 3.0 base layer and sweatshirt as well. I think I'm going im going to make the purchase in the AM.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Check out field supply for frabill apparel. They had some sick deals earlier this season

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to add I just picked up the frabil ifloat jacket and it is super warm with actual foam lining. I do not know how breathable it is but it is very warm.

tommygun23

Established Member
Also check out wingsupply.com. Frabill stuff is super cheap where it seems almost too good to be true, but it is legit as I have ordered.

Predel

I have these https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-ice-fishing-suits/ for ice fishing along with the coat. I wouldn't say they are water proof (the bibs are more than the coat) but I have ice fished in the rain and the coat starts absorbing water. I have had to get two replacement pairs of the bibs, both of them split in the crotch on the seam and then the knee ripped when I got up from kneeling on the ice and the material froze down.

Last edited:

Jm1986

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a frabill suit about 7-8 years ago. They’re warm, but I still wear a hoodie under the jacket. They cut the wind very well and are waterproof enough. It will extend your stay on the lake without a doubt on those super cold days.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used the I3 since it came out. You have to layer under them but for ice fishing and fall fishing they have been very good. They are not waterproof to fish in rain but I have never been wet in mine. I kick ice holes open until I have huge ice chunks on my legs and have never been wet at the end of the day. Its a good price- BUY IT

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried on a Simms Challenger insulated Parka the other day. I have seen the promised land. I wouldn't guess it floats, but is 100% water and windproof, and the insulation is simply tops - like wearing a high quality sleeping bag, without the bulk.

At $300 though, it might be cheaper to hire someone from the Coffee Thread, to hang on you and keep you warm.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have any of these newer ice fishing jackets adopted the powder skirt from ski jackets? I use my old snowboarding jacket for Ice fishing and i will say i love having a powder skirt for ice fishing. It keeps the draft out and your jacket from riding up your bibs when you bend over. I know a powder skirt isn't something most people think about, but when i started using it for ice fishing i was like "why the hell don't fishing jackets have this"

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
the thread says coats ---
if am drilling and moving and using my portable - the jacket only goes on when i am walking far or the wind is like a bitch ---- I have ice armor - but they just a shell -- if its on sale of $79 i am assuming that it is the same just a shell. The key to the shell is it cuts the wind and that it fits you to allow for additional clothing.

If i am fishing the DL derby at 20 below --- i am going at least with a 700 fill on down and that same shell jacket goes on the outside to cut the wind. The combination is the ticket. I would buy the shell vs insulated as imo it serves more purposes.

--- under--- poly on the skin - medium weight -- a nice fitting sweatshirt. nothing to tight or too loose.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have any of these newer ice fishing jackets adopted the powder skirt from ski jackets? I use my old snowboarding jacket for Ice fishing and i will say i love having a powder skirt for ice fishing. It keeps the draft out and your jacket from riding up your bibs when you bend over. I know a powder skirt isn't something most people think about, but when i started using it for ice fishing i was like "why the hell don't fishing jackets have this"

100% agree - although, they have to call is something other than a skirt. But this powder skirt (on my old Burton Jacket) really is a wonderful thing.

FWIW, it also works well to stuff a hat or whatever, into your coat. Don't need to actually put it in a pocket, if the skirt is closed.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried on a Simms Challenger insulated Parka the other day. I have seen the promised land. I wouldn't guess it floats, but is 100% water and windproof, and the insulation is simply tops - like wearing a high quality sleeping bag, without the bulk.

At $300 though, it might be cheaper to hire someone from the Coffee Thread, to hang on you and keep you warm.

Everything SIMMS is awesome right up until its time to pay for it.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think that stuff works too good as evidenced by the numerous melt marks and holes I've seen on many of these types of clothing items. I'd probably spring 79 bones for a water/wind proof jacket, but for the most part I'll stick with my carhartts. They go through buckbrush, cattails, trees, and other pheasant holding cover much better than these other clothes IMO.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
waterproof/rainproof - even high quality Goretex - is great until a guy really blows himself out shoveling or trudging in snow and BAM... you're soaked

with proper undergarments (wool etc) it's not horrible - but I still prefer Carhart tops for their ability to breath

and the front pockets are PERFECT

why can't they make other gear with pockets in same place as Carharts???

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74