Vortex or Leupold

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which one and why? price range is around $600 im looking to spend.

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
My bad, yea I didn't clarify very well.

RIFLE SCOPE

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I gave up on Leupold after sending a Mark IV in twice and a $27 20 year old Bushnell still outshot it when on the same rifle. Old Leupold were great and I still have two tacticals from the early 1980's without a mark on them. I see they bring a good price on snipers hide. I may have to part with them.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a vortex guy. Brother is a leupold guy. To each their own and both will do what I want them to do.

spinner7456

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 2 Vortex rifle scropes and the Vortex razor hd binocs. i have been pleased so far. If your not stepping into the $1500-$3000 range id say you would be ok with either of these.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your wanting to dial vortex. Luke moffat on rokslide just did a scope test and Leupold was the worst. On Snipershide Killswitch engaged has done a bunch and Leupold is consistently the worst. I know this is going to piss people off I am just reporting the tests done. They are easy to find on both sites. If just a scope and no dialing look through them and pick one that YOUR eye likes best.

- - - Updated - - -

http://http://www.rokslide.com/forums/long-range-hunting/82741-scope-tracking-test-time.html

One link

- - - Updated - - -

The one on the hide got deleted that sucks it had lots of good info

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have a low enough gear in my brain to buy Vortex anything.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I bought a cheap vortex and love it. No problems using it this season. Hit where i aimed

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some people just like to live in ignorance. Lots of good scopes now. It's not 1988 any more and living on a name doesn't work any more. Proof is in the facts out there. People who's business is shooting have shown it time and time again

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out Athlon. Bang for the buck damn hard to beat! I sell them and have stuff on the shelf to check out. I’ve sold a bunch to vortex guys that couldn’t believe until they saw for themselves!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have looked through a few different athlon and they are another manufacturer putting the pressure on the old guard to either improve or be a thing of the past. Lots of performance for a good price

Deerwatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
Leupold= shit! I had RX 800 rangefinder that couldn't range a barn at 200yds, I also had 2 pairs of 10x42 McKinleys bino's in 3 months, on both the Elmer's glue they use didn't hold up and a lens came loose.
Absolutely no problems with 2 PST's on a 300wsm and 7mm and a pair of Viper HD bino's in the last 3 yrs

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
just out of curiosity,why did you give up on leopold ??
The last Leupold MarkIV that I had was on my 300 Win mag. When I shot a group with it I would get two distinct groups and inch and a half apart. A group of about a quarter inch at the bottom of my one inch bull and a group about a half inch above the one inch bull. Dropped on an old Bushnell Sportview that I paid $27 for in 1977and put all rounds center of the bull after sight in. The lady in the Leupold law enforcement division was very nice about it and replaced the scope with a new one. I never put it on the rifle I sold new in the box for $850. I think I had problems with every Leupold I owned after 1992.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m thinking a March 2.5-25x42 is my next project.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The last Leupold MarkIV that I had was on my 300 Win mag. When I shot a group with it I would get two distinct groups and inch and a half apart. A group of about a quarter inch at the bottom of my one inch bull and a group about a half inch above the one inch bull. Dropped on an old Bushnell Sportview that I paid $27 for in 1977and put all rounds center of the bull after sight in. The lady in the Leupold law enforcement division was very nice about it and replaced the scope with a new one. I never put it on the rifle I sold new in the box for $850. I think I had problems with every Leupold I owned after 1992.

I've owned over 100 of them since then and the only problems I've had were self induced. I bent an elevation turret shaft somehow and I had a rifle slide off of the table at a range and land on the cement slab right onto the elevation turret on the 2nd. In fairness, I did the same thing with a 12-42x56 Nightforce NXS and a rifle that was 4# heaver and the Nightforce just shook it off.

If I thought there was a better lightweight hunting rifle scope, I'd just buy a bunch of whatever that was.

Last edited:

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's the thing about Leupold. They usually win the weight category. I have a Mk4 and vx3 LR with M1s for that reason. The Mk4 passed a box test perfectly but I haven't tested the vx3 and I need to because I have my doubts that's it's 100% accurate.

I would vote neither....leupold or Vortex. What i would get for $600 at this time I don't know. Id certainly look into Athlon too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69