Dogs and fences/injuries

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
After another couple hundred dollar vet bill for stitches again I am thinking of buying a skin stapler and doing my own patching of the dogs. Most cuts heal up on their own with a little EMT gel but the ones on the front legs that the skin tears in an L shape never wants to heal for me without stitches. Does anyone do their own minor care of their pets. It looks like you can get antibiotics and any of the other gear pretty cheap and easy.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dogs are like my kids. I wouldn’t try to stitch up my kids I wouldn’t try and do it with my dog.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Steri strips work pretty good if you have a shaver and a cone of shame. If I can see muscle/tendons/etc. and not just skin and fatty tissue, it's to the Vet I go. Fences SUCK!!!

tinker

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive had both dogs get tore up by barb wire this year. never had it happen before. both went to the vet as i couldnt imagine if it got infected and would have only cost me a few hundred to begin with.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
I must be a bad dad. I stapled my own. just buy one of those $50ish kits and you'll get a couple uses out of it. I did up the worst version of a L tear on my dogs chest and all went well. had one buddy help/hold/calm the dog, laid on his side while I shaved, disinfected, stapled, and finally finished with a slather of antibiotic and no bandage. dogs heal as quickly as wolverine himself.

I kept a cone of shame after a neuter job but didn't need with a chest wound

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
B16ABF2A-E7B5-4B86-8E8A-B790FF317E57.jpg

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sew. They don't feel it. Antibiotics once you get home (Mexican)

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couple years ago Blitz sliced his ear on barbwire. You don't realize how much blood a 45-pound dog can loose until you've witnessed the results of a 3-4 inch slice on the ol ear flap. Only way we could stop it was to gob on ointment, wrap the ear in a sock and then duct tape it to his head. Looked goofy as hell, but it worked to stop the bleeding and he was able to keep hunting a few hours later after sitting it out in the kennel to let it heal.

But nothing look quite as bad as the time Remy ran mouth-open into barbwire chasing a downed pheasant:

IMG_1016.jpg

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Our brittany ran into a fence last year. Got lucky it was only a 4-5" cut on the bottom side of her chest. 2-3" farther back and it would've gotten her soft belly. We sterilized, my wife stitched her up, and we wrapped her mid section with horse wrap and sterile pads. She's fine.

Huskerdu

Established Member
Some dogs can't understand fences , some can, buddy stitches his wire hairs all the time.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couple years ago Blitz sliced his ear on barbwire. You don't realize how much blood a 45-pound dog can loose until you've witnessed the results of a 3-4 inch slice on the ol ear flap. Only way we could stop it was to gob on ointment, wrap the ear in a sock and then duct tape it to his head. Looked goofy as hell, but it worked to stop the bleeding and he was able to keep hunting a few hours later after sitting it out in the kennel to let it heal.

But nothing look quite as bad as the time Remy ran mouth-open into barbwire chasing a downed pheasant:

6L5gad4.jpg

I'm sorry, but I lol'd at "wrap the ear in a sock and then duct tape to
his head"

My last dog (RIP) made multiple trips to the vet for pretty much everything you could think of. One of the most painful (from my prospective) had to have been when a reed spike stabbed him in the back of throat, and then broke off. He had to go under for that fix. That actually happened twice. So between barb wire fences and quill pigs, he saw it all. Best damn dog I've ever had.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 136
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77