Fly rod fishing - trout/salmon - Gear recommendations

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I want to get into fly fishing in streams and rivers for trout and salmon and don't have a clue where to start. Any help with recommendations for gear would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yup, budget is a big concern with fly rods and reels. Is this a once in a while thing or a lifelong interest? Where are you fishing is another question?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
The questions above are needed to really answer. Where you are fishing, what you are fishing for, and budget all play a factor. Some of the stuff I fish a 7'6" 4 wt is great in small streams with lots of cover/trees around them. A 5or 6 wt. in a 9' can do a lot of different things and can be a good compromise. Salmon, well, I have no idea. For me, a small stream rod is really nice to have for those waters and make catching small fish fun. But my 6wt can do small streams but fish big hoppers on windy days on bigger water too. My 6wt. is a Redington setup that really is good for what I paid. A nice Loomis or Sage certainly is better if you are a diehard but there are plenty of less expensive options if it's an occasional hobby.

As far a flies, get a basic few nypmhs, dries, and then buy what they tell you at the local shop. Don't waste money on flies you won't use, some streams are very specific on what works.

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
A 5-weight, 9-foot rod will get you started. It can handle most stream trout and pink salmon (like on MN's north shore in the fall) but it won't take on big running king salmon. You'll need at least an 8 or 10-weight for that. If you just want to "get into" the sport, a 5-weight with a basic reel and floating line will work, and will handle panfish and bass and smaller pike and walleye. I've even landed a 32" carp on a 5wt after about 20 minutes! :)

The Cabela's RLS+ combos are good starters for the money, and will get you everything you need to get started (minus tippet and flies) and, they're on sale right now for the holidays - but I see they're on backorder too.

If you're fishing small streams or small lakes anywhere in the Rockies, midwest, the Driftless area in SE MN, MN North Shore (excluding salmon and steelhead), ND trout lakes or the Turtle River that set up should work for you!

Basic fly selection:

Nymphs - a dozen pheasant tails, four of each in size 14, 12 and 10
Streamers - a dozen woolly buggers (color mix of black, brown, olive), four of each in size 8, 10, 12
Dries - 3 Adams, Size 14, 3 Elk Hair Caddis Size 12, 3 foam beetles size 14, and 3 hopper patterns, size 8, because they're cool.

Good luck, and let us know what you go with and how you do!

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't have a clue what the costs would be. Thinking I would like average quality equipment.
Thanks to all that have already posted some recommendations. I am going to mostly try for spring/fall spawning run trout and salmon.
I have tried with spinning reel setup with slip bobber and spawn sack, but didn't really have a clue what I was doing there either.
The couple I caught were just a fluke. I did okay with Mepps spinners in current for small browns but really want to target the larger spawning fish. (?)
Saw most success with other anglers that were using actual fly rods and various flies.

Fishing in a river with slow current. You can wade in 95%+ of the river. The terrain is river running through wooded areas and some with cattails and such.

I am a true newbie, but would really like to do this right.

Last edited:

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree that you may want / need more than one. I started with a #5 TFO Signature series and have built several as well as purchased a couple of Orvis rods. I honestly can not tell a lot of difference between the TFO and Orvis T3 given the price spread. I fish mainly nymphs and streamers and try to stop by local bait shops as mentioned above.

Good Luck!!

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out Redington fly gear. They have a good range of prices on their rods. Does sound like a 5 wt rod will be what you're looking to fish the majority of the time, although depending on the size of the fish you'll regularly catch I wouldn't be afraid to go 4 wt. If you plan to fish a lot of heavy cover (timber/woods) you might want to consider a shorter rod 8'-8'6" (6" can make a huge difference). For most trout fishing you don't need anything special for a reel, it will basically serve as a line manager. For bigger fish that can make runs and put you into your backing you'll want a better real. The Cabelas RLS+ is not a reel I would want to fight larger fish (salmon, steelhead, etc) - you'll have to spend a few bucks here to get something decent (Redington Rise is a decent choice, but also look into Cheeky, Lamson, Loop, Sage for good reels).

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you probably need to watch as much hank Patterson videos as you can... great resource for the fly curious

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 115
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69