What is this fish?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's been an ongoing discussion of this fish picture on IFND Facebook page. It was supposedly caught in a Fargo city complex pond along with a few others. The thought is it may be that somebody let some go from their fish tank.

Discuss:

24312869_563517850647308_5024455964966665854_n.jpg

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it were a freshwater aquarium-type fish, I'd say it's pretty close to a female Tinfoil Barb. The scales are large, and they are chrome. Not white, not silver - they are chrome.

Or, could it be a tullibee?

I don't think it's Tilapia.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I worked in a fish farm in my high school years sorting tilapia.... definitely not that. That's as far as my knowledge base goes.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it were a freshwater aquarium-type fish, I'd say it's pretty close to a female Tinfoil Barb. The scales are large, and they are chrome. Not white, not silver - they are chrome.

Or, could it be a tullibee?

I don't think it's Tilapia.

You got a horse in the race with the Tinfoil Barb, but there is no way a tullibee could live in a shallow city pond.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
You ever got one of those 5-cent goldfish from the pet store and had it live long enough to grow more than a couple inches? Pretty sure they turn into that. In any case, it's of the carp family. Big scales. Dorsal fin that starts halfway back and goes close to the tail. Sucker/downturned mouth. Big dopey eyes. It's no common, but it's of that family.

I know a buddy who has a town home right off 94 and his little community retention pond is loaded with goldfish and the like.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
That luscious wavy tail tells me it's pet trade "goldfish" - a Prussian that's been bred to have "fantail".

carp.jpg

wild Prussian at bottom - Mr. Goldilocks at top.

That's no naturally selected tail.

- - - Updated - - -

it's actually a forward mouth - just like a goldfish

and that black dotted lateral line is a fantastic match

Last edited:

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, Dad use to raise goldfish in a little plastic pond…bring them in during the winter and back out to pond in summer .. raccoons sure do love goldfish … some would get 6-8 inches and looked very similar

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
That luscious wavy tail tells me it's pet trade "goldfish" - a Prussian that's been bred to have "fantail".

2C23F49A-4149-43A7-BE97-66C1822A934A.jpeg

wild Prussian at bottom - Mr. Goldilocks at top.

That's no naturally selected tail.

- - - Updated - - -

it's actually a forward mouth - just like a goldfish

I hear ya cluckin' big chicken.

Kngkong

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not exactly sure what it is but I have a small pond in the back yard and the wife has Koi fish in it. They stay outside all winter and do fine. some of them are 14 inches or bigger now.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I actually had a relative catch a rather large goldfish out of Sakakawea a number of years ago. Confirmed by G&F.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember reading a story published by a DNR/G&F division that discovered a remote pond with hundreds of gold fish feeding near the surface. After witnessing the infestation during aerial inspections, they had to act quick to eradicate the pond. By the time they got back to the pond (a few weeks I guess), some sort of raptor species migrated through and cleaned all them golden treats out of the water. The biologists figured they were easy picking in the clear pond and the birds took advantage of the situation.

also, I think guywhoknowsfish figured it out.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75