Bow Sight Recommendations

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need new sights for next year and have been trying to decide in case there are any post season sales. What do you shoot and do you like it? I'd like to touch out to 70-80 if possible. I've looked into all kinds of brands, and there are many positive and always a few negative review for each brand and style. How about 5-7 pins vs 1 mobile pin? I've always been against using a 1 pin mobile system, but can't say i have any experience with it. I think that way more so because I don't like the idea of having to move a pin up and down while a deer is changing yardage in front of you instead of just changing which pin to aim with. Thoughts?

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer 4 or 5 pins, but I don't really plan on taking a shot over 40 or 50 yards any time soon. Keep in mind they make the best of both worlds now...you can get a 4 pin sight for 20, 30, 40, 50...and it will also go out to 100 with the slider using the 50 pin. I've heard Spot Hogg and Sure-Loc are the best out there, but probably at least $250 or more

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Single pin slider. Love not having clutter in my sight and once you get it setup you are dead on at any distance (minus any user error).

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 5 pin spot hogg. Fine sight but want to try a one pin sight. I am finding I don’t adjust well to multiple pins anymore.. my eyesight sucks

Last edited:

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go with a single pin and don't look back. The sight picture is better and you can never use the wrong pin. Now I know what you are thinking, "I could still use the wrong yardage." I challenge that viewpoint with this. Where do you hunt? Tree stand or ground blind? Timber or open field? Most bows of today shoot relatively fast to very fast and most archery shots are under 30 yards. I leave mine set at 25 yards when hunting from a tree. I shoot roughly 280fps and will be a couple inches high at 20 yards and a couple inches low at 30. If the deer is really close, I can make the quick adjustment for it. If the deer is much over 30 yards, I would rather use my range finder, get the correct yardage and shoot using the correct yardage vs. holding high or low with a pin set at 40 or 50 yards. I can make this adjustment in a matter of a couple seconds and still shoot. If you feel like the 2-3 seconds you take to make that adjustment might cost you a shot, it's probably not a shot you should be taking anyway.

If you need the pin to shoot farther, say 50-80 yards on a spot and stalk, aren't you checking the range anyway? Or do you just eyeball and say 60 yards, use your 60 pin and miss because you misjudged the yardage? My point being that most people will use a range finder to get that yardage for a longer shot. And it really don't take long to spin the wheel to the yardage you need and still get your shot.

But really, think about how and where you hunt. For me personally, I switched to a single pin 3 years ago and will never go back to a multi pin sight.

I use the HHA king Pin on my 3d bow and the HHA Optimizer on my hunting bow. Absolutely love both sights. My only complaint is the pin gets tough to see the last few minutes of light when sitting in a ground blind. Other than that, they are very easy to set up, sight in and hold there zero very well.

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 5 pin slider Montana Black Gold Ascent sight. Run .019" for first two pins and .010" for last three. One thing I wish my sight had was micro adjust. Not much fun needing to move your pin a hair when the sight gets dirty. It seems to either not move at all or a lot more than you want it to.

I've never tried single pin. I am always concerned with getting in a situation where you can't afford the extra movement or time with a single pin to have to adjust it every shot, especially for western hunting.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to go back to a single pin. I hate the clutter of my spot hogg. Up for sale: spot hogg hogg it 5-pin. $200

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
The idea of a single pin intrigues me because I love the concept of an open field of view and also the capability to set it up to shoot at whatever range you want. Here's another question then. How is it loosening and tightening for late season. I get that this year is not typical for weather, but a typical late December hunt is 10-20-30 below. I've froze my ass off waiting in late season and am sure I will at some point down the road as well. When you adjust the single pin, is it hard when it's cold? make any extra noise? stiff?

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
The idea of a single pin intrigues me because I love the concept of an open field of view and also the capability to set it up to shoot at whatever range you want. Here's another question then. How is it loosening and tightening for late season. I get that this year is not typical for weather, but a typical late December hunt is 10-20-30 below. I've froze my ass off waiting in late season and am sure I will at some point down the road as well. When you adjust the single pin, is it hard when it's cold? make any extra noise? stiff?

Mine doesn't make a noise.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
You really shouldn't have to make many adjustments with the single pin if you're hunting whitetails from a blind or stand. I have a spot hogg tommy hogg with the double vertical pins. With the housing adjusted to 20 yards the bottom pin is good for about 35-40.

troutslayer

BUCK83

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went from a 5 pin to a single pin 2 years ago. It is great to have 1 pin to focus on and not have to worry about anything else in your sight picture. I feel it has improved my accuracy, even more so at longer distances. I set my pin at 20 yards when I am sitting in tree or on the ground. I did have a deer go from 10 yards to 34 yards in the blink of an eye while at full draw last year, my shot was quite low but luckily the deer was recovered a few days later. I thought about going to a 3 pin slider to ALWAYS have your pins on at 20, 30, 40 but elected to try and get more comfortable at various distances with my slider set at 25 yards. I agree with H82Bogey on the ability to range distances of 40 or over. Moral of story is go with the single pin, you will see your groups tighten at all distances!!

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been looking at switching to a single pin slider, but the Montana black gold multi pin slider intrigues me also. How hard is to see the yardage tape in a blind at dusk?

m77hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run a Black Gold Ascent 5 pin. The pins are set 20-60, then I can move my slider to adjust from 60-90 using the bottom pin. I’m like it for hunting in a treestand, I don’t have to adjust it to shoot out to 60 yards.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never used a single pin sight but I bet they're nice

taking time and making the moves to adjust would suck though I think

Last edited:

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Single site users: What do you do in this situation; Deer/Elk/Goat is coming in and closing the distance, you pull back prior to in range not knowing if the critters going to be at between 20 - 60 yards? How do you set your sights prior to pulling back? set at 20 and try to make adjustments on aiming from there? curious, cause this is the situation/sinario in my head that provents me from switching to a 1-sight system

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot a multi-pin. If you don't have time to range and you are fairly confident the shot is 60 yards then you center the 60 pin and have 3 to 4 pins covering the animal. Like most have said about a single pin set at 25 will kill an animal from point blank out to roughly 35 yards, guess your yardage, put as many pins on em as you can and let it eat. 80% of the time it works every time, and its way faster then adjusting/sliding a single pin!

- - - Updated - - -

You can also use the multi pin setup to make sure you wont hit branches and what not in between you and the intended target. If you have a deer at say 40 yards and a branch across the vitals and you think the branch is at 20, but your 20 pin is above the branch you can shoot and be assured that the arrow will fly over the branch and hit the animal.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75