Smoking pike

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got into a mess of pike at Irvine today and I want to try to to smoke a batch. I have heard they are easy to overdo. What do you use for brine, what temperature do you smoke at, etc.

eliminator

Honored Member
I have smoked quite a few pike and I use the same brine as for Salmon---if you look at any sporting goods store you will find a pretty decent one for brining salmon---I know scheels has one. Works pretty well with pike. In my experience with pike, I have smoked with and without the skin on. I prefer without as their scales are really big compared to salmon and seem to get everywhere. Watch closely and don't over smoke them as they will dry out but normally turn out very well. I am sure there are plenty of others who have their own experiences on here also and are probably more experienced than I am.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've never smoked fish but my dad used to do it quiet frequently. Do remember that he use to wrap the fish in cheesecloth prior to smoking. Think the reason was to keep the fish from falling apart. If smoking fish that has been filleted this might be a cure.

mmanske

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have done alot of pike with equal parts kosher salt and brown sugar mixed together and let set over night and rinse off and pat dry before smoking. Turns our really good

eliminator

Honored Member
On a side note---skin on or not I have not had any problem with the fish falling apart---they hold together well. I also baste mine about every hour with a maple or honey and it gives them a great glaze look and really doesn't give them any sweet taste at all. Saw that on an alaska website about smoking salmon. the biggest key is low and slow with the smoker.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eliminator, I have heard that you are quite a pike fisherman too :D

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's what I use to smoke pike:

3 lbs fish fillets
4.5 cups water
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 cups apple juice
1 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/2 cup pickling salt
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
1 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, fresh ground pepper
Brine for 12 hours, remove fillets and pat dry.

I smoke mine until the fish flakes and has a good dry seal. Usually about 4 hours at 180 on the smoker temp which brings the fish to about 165. I HATE over smoked fish. Fish Jerky isn't my forte'. Good Luck and Enjoy!!!

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's what I use to smoke pike:

3 lbs fish fillets
4.5 cups water
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 cups apple juice
1 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/2 cup pickling salt
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
1 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, fresh ground pepper
Brine for 12 hours, remove fillets and pat dry.

I smoke mine until the fish flakes and has a good dry seal. Usually about 4 hours at 180 on the smoker temp which brings the fish to about 165. I HATE over smoked fish. Fish Jerky isn't my forte'. Good Luck and Enjoy!!!

Do you do them with the skin off or leave it on?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
NO SKIN!!!!! That slime just WON'T stop coming. Burnt gator slime will taint your racks and give everything else you put on them a fishy taste. Don't ask me how I know or how long it took me to pressure wash, sand blast, scrub, soap, disinfect, and otherwise clean my racks after I smoked a batch of skin on gator or ask me how venison jerky with gator slime seasoning tastes.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
do you need to remove the Y bones or does the brine dissolve them when smoking???

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
NO SKIN!!!!! That slime just WON'T stop coming. Burnt gator slime will taint your racks and give everything else you put on them a fishy taste. Don't ask me how I know or how long it took me to pressure wash, sand blast, scrub, soap, disinfect, and otherwise clean my racks after I smoked a batch of skin on gator or ask me how venison jerky with gator slime seasoning tastes.
That is almost funny. Now remember I said "ALMOST".

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not pike but we smoked a big piece of ND moose backstrap like you would a prime rib the other night and it was damn good!
moose backstrap smoked.jpg

rhino2003

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always leave the skin on. Soaking in some water and vinegar will remove the slime.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67