Another tire thread, for SUV this time.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So my grocery getting, kid hauling, daily commuter of a 2015 Toyota 4-Runner needs a new set of shoes.

It came with the Bridgestone Dueler HT, and they've been OK...just nothing special. Plus they are legitimately shot at about 43k.

For the most part, this is a town and highway runner, I use the Ford when I need to go off trail. However, I have a driveway that is not always cleaned nicely of snow, and I ignore winter weather warnings when I need to get somewhere.

What do you all run and like on your SUVs? The Duelers seem a little soft and less pleasant than I like in high side winds. I am mostly interested in something that scoffs at light snow and ice, but has a soothing highway experience.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a set of Cooper atw's on my van and am quite impressed with traction and ride. Wanted a good all around tire with a little better traction for winter. Pleased so far.

nybs

Honored Member
Allen - I’m having same issue with those tires on my expedition which is disappointing because I had them on last 2 suburbans and they held up much better. Also had the Dueler ATs on my f-150 before that (also before kid #3) and liked those. Not sure what I’m going to go with yet...saw Costco had $70 off Blizzak and free install but haven’t made a decision.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a set of Hankook Dyna Pro ATM's on the wifes tahoe last year and have been pretty impressed with their performance.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a set of Hankook Dyna Pro ATM's on the wifes tahoe last year and have been pretty impressed with their performance.

I have heard a lot of good recommendations on these tires. Would have put these on our pickup but went with a straight winter tire as we have 2 sets of the Michelin summer tires for it.

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just put a set of Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring's on my wifes Ford Edge. Havent had much snow or ice experience here in Mandan/Bismarck as of yet. But the couple of mornings it was a little slick, my wife said they were better than the old ones (Perelli Scorpions). Took it to the Bison game last Friday and ran into some decent snow and a little ice about 30-40 miles outside of Fargo. They seemed to stick to road fairly well.

Got them for under $500 bucks for the set on Ebay, w/ a $70 rebate through Cooper. Kupper chevrolet mounted and balanced them for $55.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just put a set of Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring's on my wifes Ford Edge. Havent had much snow or ice experience here in Mandan/Bismarck as of yet. But the couple of mornings it was a little slick, my wife said they were better than the old ones (Perelli Scorpions). Took it to the Bison game last Friday and ran into some decent snow and a little ice about 30-40 miles outside of Fargo. They seemed to stick to road fairly well.

Got them for under $500 bucks for the set on Ebay, w/ a $70 rebate through Cooper. Kupper chevrolet mounted and balanced them for $55.

I've got these on my nissan maxima. They seem really good and get around pretty well. They are pretty quiet.

Not sure if falken makes anything for SUV's, but i put the wildpeak At3 on my tahoe and they are excellent.

We just bought an enclave for kid hauling, and it came with a set of new bridgestone dueler HTs, so thank you for starting the thread, at least i'll know what i can expect out of them.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
After perusing tirerack.com last night, it doesn't look like Cooper wants to make tires in the Toyota size of 265/70-17.

I run the Hankook ATM's on my 3/4 ton. Pretty happy with them overall, but I don't think I want them on my SUV as they're a little too aggressive and not that great on ice. Plus, I think they'd have a lot more road noise. The 4-Runner leaves a little to be desired in quiet, they should partner with Ford to teach them how to quiet down the road noise.

Anyone ever run a Blizzak set of tires all year long? Is summer driving too tough on them and their soft rubber? I guess that question is kind of meant more for modern snow/winter tires in general.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I threw up my hands and just started buying the highest rated (most expensive) tires I can find. I figure of all the things to experiment with or save a Benjamin on it ain't the tires. Every couple years I have one of those "idiot pulled out in front of me moments" where I come THIS CLOSE to plowing into someone. I never drive away from those cursing my expensive tires.

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Michelin-Latitude Tour

Got over 100K miles with this tire on the Equinox. They were way to good to take off at 70K.
Should have changed them at 90K. Quiet, good traction, and smooth riding.

Started another set this fall.

Last edited:

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I threw up my hands and just started buying the highest rated (most expensive) tires I can find. I figure of all the things to experiment with or save a Benjamin on it ain't the tires. Every couple years I have one of those "idiot pulled out in front of me moments" where I come THIS CLOSE to plowing into someone. I never drive away from those cursing my expensive tires.

I agree. I remember some wise advice from my good friend's father who was a mechanic. "You can skimp on a lot of things on a car but never skimp on tires or brakes".

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
After perusing tirerack.com last night, it doesn't look like Cooper wants to make tires in the Toyota size of 265/70-17.

I run the Hankook ATM's on my 3/4 ton. Pretty happy with them overall, but I don't think I want them on my SUV as they're a little too aggressive and not that great on ice. Plus, I think they'd have a lot more road noise. The 4-Runner leaves a little to be desired in quiet, they should partner with Ford to teach them how to quiet down the road noise.

Anyone ever run a Blizzak set of tires all year long? Is summer driving too tough on them and their soft rubber? I guess that question is kind of meant more for modern snow/winter tires in general.

You can use them in summer but way too soft of rubber to get any mileage out of them.

mmanske

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put the hancook dynapro atm's on my truck a couple years ago and have been very impressed

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife had a 2011 4-Runner we put Goodyear Wrangler A/T Kevlar liked the tread design and we got about 50,000 miles out of them. She never let me do any off roadin or muddin.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put Firestone Destination At on the Duramax. Excellent so far. Leaning towards the Geolander for Yukon XL, highly rated

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I currently run BF Goodrich AT KO 2’s and love them---however they are at their best off road if your vehicle is mostly in town and highway these would be my 2 recommendations

Tough on wallet: Wrangler ATS – have owned 2 sets in the past and easily got +60k miles out of them
Or lighter on the wallet great on highway BFGoodrich long trial T/A

For more aggressive but lighter on the wallet: cooper Discoverer A/T3 or hercules terra trac at2

… this is all I know

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79