Coyote Howling back

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So i went out on Sunday tried to call and i got a bunch howling back at me. I was using hand calls. In that situation what should a guy do? With the nice weather i figured that could not help but had to give it a try.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
The best thing that works for me in that situation is to move in closer if you can. Had a group howling back a few years ago and I snuck in close and got 3.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
When i used to call back in the day, if i got an answer and they wouldn't come closer i used the wounded pup call and man they would come in fast. Of course the younger the dogs the easier to get them to commit.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
You should go on with your normal sequence, rabbit / some type of prey distress. If they don't come, you can try to get closer (like cut the distance in half) and try another distress sound.
When it gets closer to mating season (late Jan, Feb), I would try more coyote vocalizations to induce a mating and / or territory confrontation.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Is this late night bar coyote calling if so the more the merry-er.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I live about a mile from a pretty busy railroad track and when the big freights go through at night sometimes it really lights up the coyotes. High pitched wheel bearings maybe? Like a dog whistle we cannot hear.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always echoed them. If they bark, bark back, but softer. If they howl, howl back, only softer. You don't want to sound "Dominant" as you will intimidate subordinate dogs instead of getting them to come investigate. The dominant dogs hopefully will come in regardless. At least that's the idea behind it.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stick with the distress call. Its your bread and butter. Just put some emotion in your call. Damn near beg them to come in and get you. I have been doing this for 44 yrs and distress have always been the go to sound.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really have to work on sitting still so my first instinct was to go after them but I thought better and held tight. I tried a distress call but fairly certain the coyotes would rather let the sounds I was making die then check it out. Haha my wife is loving me sitting in the house and practicing:::

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Listen on youtube of the difference between a warning bark and a Declaration howl.

Warning bark, your busted might as well move on.

Declaration is a very normal howl that you can use to locate and kill them. You can move closer but when they stop howling they are moving so plan your stalk accordingly.

KDM said exactly what I was thinking, imitate them and you will get a response.

Coyotes are very social and you can use that to kill them.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sat and howled back and forth for maybe 15 minutes but then a buddy called he was in a situation so i up and left. I should have thought of the youtube idea to know what sounds are

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stick with the distress call. Its your bread and butter. Just put some emotion in your call. Damn near beg them to come in and get you. I have been doing this for 44 yrs and distress have always been the go to sound.
Another old caller. We didn't have coyotes around here when I started calling in 1958, but the fox swarmed you some days. I have had coyotes howl back as Kurt explained, but as years have gone on I find there are two situations. One they are responding to your call, and two they know your there and they are howling at you. Then the jib is up and you may as well leave. Out in the Badlands one time I set up a white hub blind. Before I could start calling about four or five coyotes had spotted me and started howling and barking at me. This didn't soak through my thick skull at the time. Then while camping while deer hunting we have had them come within 100 yards of camp at night and bark and howl at us. I don't have a good enough ear to tell if they are responding or chastising me so I just keep trying everything I can think of. Pup in distress has worked best, but sometimes the game has gone on for an hour and I give up and leave. I have tried getting closer, but most times I have not had enough cover and get busted. Sometimes it's hard for a part time hunter to fool a full time coyote.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like a coyote won't forget if they screw up. The older ones are definitely the wiser ones. Pups are young and dumb and want to check everything out. Always take the biggest dog first if possible. In the past 60 odd years i took the big dog first and then gave a wounded pup call and the others would usually stop long enough to get another shot off. Worked more times than not. Works better if you have someone with you that really know how to call so you can concentrate on staying on them and shooting.
Wish i could still do it as it was something that i really enjoyed and taught quite a few young-uns how to call and set up.
Bad thing about learning on your own is you are teaching the coyote along with yourself. So if and when you screw up he (if the same dog) won't make the same mistake twice.
Have fun and enjoy as it is a hoot!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85