Reloading Manual

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How many different calibers, powders and bullets are you using? Are your bullets cast, moly or copper/lead?

Here's a shot of some of the loading manuals I've collected over the years.

Loading manuals.jpg

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
You need to match the reloading manual to the bullet you are shooting. Each bullet is made of different metals in the copper jacket and those affect the pressures of the various powder. If you use a Berger manual with Nosler bullets you might be asking for trouble.

Remember that loading lighter then minimums is as dangerous as loading heavier then maximums. In most cases it is more dangerous! You really have to stay within the mins and maxes in order to stay safe and make the barrel last. If you want to get started and don't want to buy a manual, then download one off the interweb. All the bullet manufacturers have then on their websites.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I knew the answer to that I wouldn't own 9 manuals. Not counting about five I have given away because I had to have the new one with the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 6.5X284. New Nosler, new Hornady, new Lee, new Speer, new Lyman etc etc. I never load until I verify in at least three manuals and Hodgdon on line. That and I have called Nosler and Hornady. The first boxes of Hornady had the load printed right on the box. I saved that first box and have passed that information on to a half dozen people. Right Kurtr?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
wow. haven't looked at bullets yet. going to be reloading 9mm,.40cal,.380, 270 win., .243, 7mm rem mag. 5.56/.223 to start off with.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a pretty big chunk to bite off at once. I would pick one and learn it well.
I generally prefer Hornady bullets, so I'd start with that manual. It's well laid out and is a great resource. Their max loads are a little weak, but I think that's pretty common these days.
You wouldn't happen to need some Hornady brass for that 243 would you?
I also have a full 50 round box of 85 grain 6mm Nosler Partitions that I would practically give away.

Last edited:

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not a pro, don't want to be a pro, I buy a Hodgdon reloading annual every couple of years, and use the internet

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
SDMF, when I was a kid, 2 of my friends just dumped the powder into a bowl and dipped the 30-06 case into it filling it full, on went the bullet and the shell was loaded, can't remember what powder it was, they used those Lee loaders that you use a hammer with, still have a few of them plus some shotgun ones to

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
AR15 I grew up with one of those Lee loaders in 22 Hornet. They came with a dipper that you scooped powder. With the small 22 Hornet it was always one scoop. Depending on the powder it could be a minimum load or a maximum load with the same scoop. A few years later Lee sold a scoop set that came with ten scoops and a multiple page chart. Even my newest (two years) Lee manual that gives powder charge in grains of weight also includes reference to scoops. I didn't have that much brass but that old loading set was small enough that you could take it with you out hunting. Needed a hammer and a block of wood along too.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a pretty big chunk to bite off at once. I would pick one and learn it well.
I generally prefer Hornady bullets, so I'd start with that manual. It's well laid out and is a great resource. Their max loads are a little weak, but I think that's pretty common these days.
You wouldn't happen to need some Hornady brass for that 243 would you?
I also have a full 50 round box of 85 grain 6mm Nosler Partitions that I would practically give away.
I do actually lol

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to buy a Dillon 650XL. But I went to an auction last fall and while I was waiting all damn day just to bid on a tractor, they had an RCBS reloader. Good shape. I got it for $22. So I guess I'll start with that. I've reloaded a ton of shotgun shells but never any rifle/handgun ammo.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
"they used those Lee loaders that you use a hammer with, still have a few of them plus some shotgun ones to

I was going to buy a Dillon 650XL. But I went to an auction last fall and while I was waiting all damn day just to bid on a tractor, they had an RCBS reloader. Good shape. I got it for $22. So I guess I'll start with that. I've reloaded a ton of shotgun shells but never any rifle/handgun ammo.

I never had a Lee Loader buy I still have a couple of Lyman tong tools or "nutcrackers" as we called them that I started loading with in the mid 60's.

Dillon makes fantastic presses, I've got 2 and they run well and make great ammo.

RCBS makes great presses, I've got 3 and have made a lot of accurate ammo over 45 years or so with them. I bought the "Rock Chucker" in the pic above in 1970, I've loaded more than 200K rounds with it and it's never missed a beat.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77