What have you cooked on an open fire ?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to entertain the kids and grand kids with things they don't do in the city, One thing I want to do over the 4th is make a couple big meals over an open fire . I have everything but the menu, What have you done that was a hit ?

Last edited:

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hobo dinners, potatoes packs (potatoes,peppers, and onions). Trout stuffed with onions, butter and lemon pepper. Walleye with butter and garlic pepper. Everything was wrapped loosely in tinfoil.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have a cast iron skillet, it'd hard to beat a sausage gravy pizza over the fire. Throw some jalapeños and some cheese on it.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Banana boats: take a banana (greener the better) cut down the long way, open skin, place chocolate, and marshmallows or etc. in side the flesh of the banana. Then wrap banana in tin foil and place tin foil not on the hot coals but next to the coals. When steam comes out of the tin foil, they are done. Open tin foil allow to cool or place whipped cream, ice cream, yogurt or more chocolate and marshmallows. Mmmmmmmmmm Grandpa, where did you learn how to make banana boats? Oh I don't know from some fishing site I like to go on.

Crankn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've only made marshmallows, hotdogs, and sausage. :( You guys sound like campfire chefs I will be watching this closely.;:;bowdown

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
5191e30c62352b75ae1b52706e42d440.jpg Use Fry pie Irons to make toasted sandwiches. fill them with whatever you like. I like pulled pork and sharp cheddar. All of my in laws swear by pizza sauce and pizza topping. Can do taco meat and cheese. All very good. I did a sweet bread and cherry pie filling last time out.... was very good. Do not buy the cheap aluminum ones. spend the extra 2 bucks and go for the cast iron.

If you have a grate its hard to beat thick cut pork chops or steak cooked on open flame

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
corn is always good wrap it in tin foil and let it set in by the fire takes a little longer then the grill

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
corn is always good wrap it in tin foil and let it set in by the fire takes a little longer then the grill

This but I like to leave the husk on and just take the silk off the top. It gives it a smokey flavor. Ribeye is also a family favorite.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Made a reflector oven out of foil and bent cloths hanger and a flat rock and made sausage gravy, taters and baked biscuits with the oven. If you have a cast iron dutch oven, have them help make a stew, cover with foil and seal up lid with foil. Dig a hole in your fire pit and add a shovel full of coals, place oven in hole and put some coals around sides and top then fill with dirt and ash. Let it go all day and carefully remove oven, brush off and supper is ready. Always get alot of suspect looks when I do it and the kids will keep asking if it really works. Since they helped make it and helped cook and waited, usually 2nds and 3rds all around. The banana boats are great too and if you do pie irons, we do pizza, reubens and fruit pies- add a marshmallow to the fruit for a little extra kick.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Made a reflector oven out of foil and bent cloths hanger and a flat rock and made sausage gravy, taters and baked biscuits with the oven. If you have a cast iron dutch oven, have them help make a stew, cover with foil and seal up lid with foil. Dig a hole in your fire pit and add a shovel full of coals, place oven in hole and put some coals around sides and top then fill with dirt and ash. Let it go all day and carefully remove oven, brush off and supper is ready. Always get alot of suspect looks when I do it and the kids will keep asking if it really works. Since they helped make it and helped cook and waited, usually 2nds and 3rds all around. The banana boats are great too and if you do pie irons, we do pizza, reubens and fruit pies- add a marshmallow to the fruit for a little extra kick.

When I was younger I would ride in those cavalry shows at Ft Lincoln and elsewhere. There was a lady there that would use the dutch oven and make perfect cake, pie, you name it. It was amazing.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friend of my dad's used to do the dutch oven in a pit all day bit for prime rib. Put the prime in the dutch oven, pack rock salt all the way around it. Dig the hole then put the dutch oven in and cover with the coals from the previous night's campfire. It was ready when we'd finish a day's fishing.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hobo dinners, potatoes packs (potatoes,peppers, and onions). Trout stuffed with onions, butter and lemon pepper. Walleye with butter and garlic pepper. Everything was wrapped loosely in tinfoil.

⤴⤴⤴This, with carrots⤴⤴⤴.

Dice potatoes, onion, even pepper, and, carrots. Wrap in foil with seasoning , and grease/butter. When primitive camping, I just bring a grill grate, and prop in on three rocks over a fire. Trout with butter wrapped in foil. Deer roasts are a little tricky but come out great, if you tend a low fire. You can wrap or do them open. Any meats can be cooked over open fire with a grate AR propping a grill grate. Those baskets work really slick. IMO I think steaks over an open fire is the best way to cook them.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cheat and have a grate that goes on the fire pit making it not much different than a grill. I let it burn down to coals and cook about anything on it. Its a fun thing to do. I even enjoy skipping the coffee maker in the summer and going outside to make coffee on the fire some mornings.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's with all this tinfoil crap? If you're a man and you have a fire, you cook directly on the hot coals themselves! :;:

Seriously, though, if you want something a little different with a taste you cannot get any other way research caveman steak/dirty steak/clinching steak. You cook right on the embers with no foil, grate or anything. You need a thick piece of steak, and you should season it after cooking. Cook some corn or potatoes wrapped in foil right in the fire as well while you're at it and you have a whole meal cooked IN the fire....impressive!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and one other thing that is still fun to make over an open fire is Jiffy Pop popcorn. Kids love watching it pop and expand.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cooked just about everything from bullhead to turkey on a stick or rotisserie, chicken breasts are good on hot rocks, or a nice y shaped stick…always have green branches around the fire pit for cooking stuff late at night…Dad use to always rotisserie a turkey late in the fall…great way to sit and drink beer all day turning the bird

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mako claspers, onions, brook trout.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Smores, those sandwich maker things, and sausages.

We have a grill that seems to do most meals, the campfire thing is usually at around dark and is to late for a hungry fatty like me.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never "Cooked" anything over an open fire. Using an open flame just burned stuff. The temperature fluctuations of a flame make it darn near impossible to get an evenly prepared meal. I normally "Cook" over the coals as you get a much more even heat. If you have a cast iron skillet or pot, you can do just about anything you want including baking. My favorite is fried fish, fried potatoes, and baked beans. With 2 pans you can have a whole meal in about 15 minutes. I tend to spread the coals out and let them reach an even glow before adding a pan. You will need to keep an eye on the pan and if it starts to smoke a bit, have a rack close by that you can put the pan on until it cools down a little. Have a REALLY GOOD set of oven mitts or pads. Cast iron will give you quite a branding if you try to go cheap or forget to use one. Good Luck and Be Safe!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69