Elk Hunters do you know?

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
That Elk have two teeth that are Ivory??? We spent an evening during Christmas with another older couple and noticed her jewelry. Which was Ivory what happened to be custom made from Elk teeth that her husband collected over the years. Very interesting only two mammals in North America have Ivory. The other being a Walrus.

So how many of you Elk Hunters knew this??? If so did you collect the Ivory teeth???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2owpjKW3b3o

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep!! Have the sets from both my bulls. Haven't done anything with them yet, but they are a cool additional trophy.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, keep them in a zip lock bag along with the 300WSM cartridge that brought him down!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have all my bugle ivories, empty shell cases and have 2 of the bullets that did not go all the way through. Going to make a charm ring for my Diamond Willow walking stick. I also have a tanned hide {hair off} from my ND bull and of course all the antlers, enough to make a small chandelier {next winters project}. Memories, love them.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Set of dentures with front elk teeth would be hilarious. You would not need the gold or diamonds.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The natives definitely had a thing for them.

P13095.700x700.jpg

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
my oldest brother found one when we were hunting for arrow heads in the rrv along the red river in the late 70s. we didn't know what it was. He wore it around his neck and last year he was in Arizona and a guy asked him where he got the elk ivory. now that we know what it is what was it doing in a field along the red river? it could be very old.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My uncle told a story of a guy he used to hunt elk with who stopped a bunch of poachers from stealing his elk by using the ivories. This guy shot a nice 6 by, gutted it, and went down the mountain to get some horses to pack it out, but before leaving he pulled the left ivory and replaced it with one of his bullets that he scratched his initials in. When he was going back up the mountain with the horses, he went through a game check station and in the back of a truck was HIS ELK!!! He jumped out of his truck and yelled "THAT'S MY ELK" and pointed right to the truck. The game wardens of course were intrigued and asked for proof. He told them to look at the left ivory where they would find his bullet with his initials. Needless to say, those fellas lost lots of stuff as this guy was involved in the whole legal process. Not only did they pack out this guys elk for him (grin), but they lost their tags, hunting privileges, and a bunch of cash. Stealing someone's elk, THAT'S just low down and dirty.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone had elk ivory jewelry made by someone in North Dakota or surrounding states? Interested in recommendations.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76