You go to perch rod?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
here is the deal... i don't have the best perch rod(s) in the world. as a result, i am convinced a miss more than a few light bites. i've used spring bobbers and can detect the bite with them. but, i think i miss hooking up as the spring bobbers don't facilitate an instant hook set. so, i am prepared to upgrade. i've looked at thorne brothers and JT customs.

i've looked at the perch sweetheart and the panfish sweetheart from thorne. was set on one of those in 32"+ length. then our long lost wags says his quiverstick from thorne is insanely sensitive. so, now i am left wondering again.

i've also looked at the JT Pan handler in 30". even though i ain't a big spring bobber fan, i would probably get it with said said spring bobber and just not use it all too often.

so, what is your go to perch rod and what length? spring bobber or no? & why?

i've got plenty of decent walleye rods. so, perch is the focus here. if it happens to be a decent light bite walleye rod, that's just a bonus.

thanks!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Camera - i have seen some of them perch hold the minnow and i dont see the spring move whatsover.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure I am going to catch some crap for my rods but I have 3 JM Meatsticks (20"& 2 28")that I have been happy with the last 2-3yrs, bought a 13 Fishing Snitch (29") this year which is very similar and is working well so far and a 13 Fishing Black Betty Light 26" that I have iced a lot of various fish with the last 4yrs.
That being said I have been looking at some of the Tuned Up Customs like their Precision Noodle or any other of their strike indicator types look nice as well as they just came out with one that is tuned a little more to feel and I believe it is called the Fusion.

JTSCHRO

I have a 30" TUCR Bullwhip that I really like. I don't have this one, but another Tuned Up Custom to check out would be the QT (quick tip).

In Grand Forks, Scheels and Cabelas usually has these in stock if you'd like to get your hands on them.

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
It sounds like you are looking for higher quality but i have been very happy with this cheap combo from amazon. It is extremely sensitive, I have noticed a significant increase in both nibbles felt and successful hookups while targeting perch. I liked it so much after a year that I bought another. I was able to buy this combo for $14 but I see it is around $25 now https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0062DQ0FI/?tag=nodakangler10-20

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
TB Quiver Stick. When you see a fish coming up hold it on you knee/leg and wait for the bite visually.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a couple St. Croix Legend Silver's. I think I recall they were 24" UL. They "disappeared" from my ice rod inventory a couple years back and haven't replaced them yet, but I did think they were nice. Coil spring. But..like was said earlier..camera works great also for light biters or nibblers. One thing I would add...and I got schooled on the effectiveness of this..try drop shotting for perch as an option. A friend's portable was set up close to ours and was icing perch right and left drop shotting....beating us by a large margin.....so..add that presentation to the arsenal as well. My 02. Good luck

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have had a Genz rod for many years. Don't even know if they are still on the market. Works good for me. I have several rods that others can use when they're with me but nobody but me uses that rod. Trying to figure out how old it is and I'm guessing at least 15 years and probably quite a bit older than that.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want to see the bite TUCR Bullwhip, If you want to feel the bite TUCR QuickTip or Fusion. I have a quicktip and like it, I looked at the Fusion but didn't really like the slower action, i know a lot of people like it though.

If your fishing the smallest tungsten a precision noodle might be worth a look as well. It kind of depends on what lures you are using. Below is a TUCR rod chart which is helpful when deciding, I wish more companies did this.

http://tunedupcustomrods.com/wp-con...Rod-Spectrum-and-Ordering-Options-2017-NP.pdf

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
The TB Perch sweetheart is actually pretty stiff for a perch rod. I also have a TUCR precision which is fairly sensitive but still doesn't show a bite. I think you're onto something with a TUCR bullwhip or fusion.

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have had a Genz rod for many years. Don't even know if they are still on the market. Works good for me. I have several rods that others can use when they're with me but nobody but me uses that rod. Trying to figure out how old it is and I'm guessing at least 15 years and probably quite a bit older than that.

I had one of those,but it broke. I was a really nice rod, close to the quality of thorne bros rods.

- - - Updated - - -

I have couple TB Perch SH rods, a 32 and a 28. I like those for fishing 1/16 and 1/8 oz lures for perch, and walleyes for that matter. I have a DH Al dente rod that I really like for small jigs and spoons up to 1/16 oz. Out of the 3 the DH rod gets the most use when fishing for perch.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
TFO 28" light works well for me. Think they were around $40. Have a hard time spending $$ for the Thorne Bros rods. Purchased a couple of Thorne Bros quicksilver rod blanks a year or two ago for around $30 each and they turned out to be good / sensitive ice rods. Got a couple of Fenwick ice rods on sale at Scheels a couple of years ago and they continue to be my favs.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the frabil rods are decent enough, not sure on the reel, have read mixed reviews.
Lately I have really been liking the 13 fishing rid lineups and bought a Freefall ghost on a Snitch rod. So far I have ran that setup for the most part and it has handled everything from 4" gills to a couple 10.5 bulls, crappie and a 1.5lb bass just fine. Sensitive indicator tip and loads fast to sink the hooks running 3lb flouro

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a tuned up custom bullwhip and have the tuned up custom fusion, as mentioned the quick tip is also a great perch rod but the precision noodle is where you will see those ultra light bites it is much lighter than the bullwhip, the quick tip is a rod you would feel the bite more than see it. I run the 13 fishing ghost free fall reels on both of my pan fish rods... DH custom rods has some really nice panfish specific rods too. I have a buddy who swears by a JM meatstick and another that basically has a wooden dowel with a spring bobber on it and out of all of us the damn wooden dowel seems to out fish us all... the europeans all use palm rods with a spring bobber and they catch some small light biting fish

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just use my walleye rods for perch. Fenwick acetos, Berkely genz rods, scheels one, all in medium power. I don't think I am missing any strikes but the fish are just tight lipped. If I was strictly fishing panfish I'll break out the ultra lights but that about as far as I get. I like to use big tackle and big minnows for those big perch and it seems to work when I target them.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never really found the "perfect" perch rod. Although I do think Thorne's are the best out there. Years ago though I gave up on looking and decided to build my own. I start with a 30" fiberglass/graphite composite blank. I put it in my cordless drill and sand the tip down until it's about like your spring bobber. I then put single foot spinning rod guides on it including the tip. The tip is a PAIN IN THE ASS to get on since it's a larger eye than you'd find on most rods that size, but by being larger it allows the line to go thru even with ice built up on it. What else I like about this setup is that you have a great backbone just past the tip. With the soft tip you can see about any bite and with the stiffer backbone just down from it your hook sets are solid. And, if you happen to catch a larger fish such as a pike or eye, you have plenty of backbone for them as well.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
so, when you making me one?

for what its worth, i went with the TB quiverstick in 32 inch stealth. my head hurt looking at all of the options. worse case scenario, i have to order another next year. i finally got out perch fishing the other day. turns out i did slightly update my equipment last year as i had a TB 13 fishing wicked UL in the bag i had forgot about that was decent. perch fishing is frustrating. it really is usually just a matter of making them bite. its rare that they bite and you don't feel it. but, when that's happening, its frustrating. i like to be able to show the fish who is boss. even if they end up being dinks. thanks for the input gentlemen.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69