Black Gold vs Spot Hogg

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just bought a Hoyt Pro Defiant and am looking to rig it out. I am thinking I want a three pin slider or a single pin and have been looking at spot hogg fast eddie xl and the black gold ascent verdict. Any thoughts?

Also, if anyone wants to suggest some rests and releases to shoot I would be happy to hear.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a spot hogg soft and love it. QAD rest every time. I’m a big fan of Scott releases.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like Black Gold sights. They're very bright and built like a tank. What kind of hunting are you going to be doing? Tree stand or spot and stalk?

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just bought a Hoyt Pro Defiant and am looking to rig it out. I am thinking I want a three pin slider or a single pin and have been looking at spot hogg fast eddie xl and the black gold ascent verdict. Any thoughts?

I had to look up some of these words to determine what you were talking about.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a single pin HHA slider and like it, spot hog and black gold have good reputations too.
The main thing I will never trade is my QAD rest

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bow hunters have a lingo all their own. I had to google a few of those words myself.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Black gold have an amazing warranty and customer service. I personally shoot an HHA and love it, but black gold would be my second choice.

QAD for the drop away rest. Don't waste your time or money on anything else. Scott or Carter for the release(hand held) and tight spot for the quiver. Get yourself a nice Bee Stinger stabilizer or the like and you should be driving tacks soon! Congrats on the new purchase. There is nothing like shooting the new toy.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Minus the fact that my Vapor Trail Pro V isn't full containment, I absolutely love it.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Black gold is all I've used although I've heard good things about spott hog. I will say this about black gold - their customer service is top notch!

I've never used a QAD. I run a trophy taker smackdown pro on one bow and a hamskea hybrid hunter pro on the other. There are good things I like about each of those and a few things I wish were a little different. If I could combine the good from both......

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
You probably can't go wrong with either choice, but I would have to recommend Spott Hogg!! Although i have no experience with the Fast Eddie sight.

I've had 3 or 4 other Spott Hoggs, then decided to try MBG Ascent Verdict on a new bow. The bubble and head housing was loose and rattled. Some silicone and electrical tape fixed that, looked like shit on a new site. Then The slider part wasn't machined square and would also rattle like a mo fo if the sight head was in any position except all the way up. I finally sent it off after season to MBG and they did fix me up good. But still, not a good first impression, however the sight works fine now. A couple comments about MBG customer service here.... I've never needed Spott Hoggs customer service.

I have two Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Pro rests and love em!!

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
The reasons for my customer service with black gold was

1: I needed the longer horizontal adjustment bar (black gold ships with the shorter one) for one of my bows. No cost to me for the part or shipping.

2: The colored sight ring fell off somewhere. I asked them about adhesives to affix the new one I would order. They shipped me a new ring for nothing.

I've never had a broken pin or housing or anything like.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a black gold 3 pin slider and i like it but a buddy got the HHA and I actually like it better but not going to get rid of a $400 sight just because the HHA is marginally better... the reason I did not go with the fast eddy was because the gears are made from plastic where the HHA and black gold are metal.... all 3 have rock solid warranties

bowhunter88

Established Member
i'll toss in another for black gold. Bright and solid sights. I have a single pin slider because i don't care for the extra pins on the slider. When i go out west for spot and stalk i put my fixed 5 pin back on.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the replies! My next question is, which pro shop should I take it to? Scheels? Archer's Elite in MInot? Bismarck? Stanley? I make frequent trips from Minot to Fargo so I am not too worried about where I go. Just want the best setup/tuning.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whyat at minot scheels is my man. He set me up recently. Knows his stuff.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would go to scheels in bismarck and avoid everywhere in minot, I have had nothing but good experience with them working on my hoyt nitrum, most of the guys there shoot a hoyt and are very good at tuning them. Archer's Elite put a new string on my bow and did not tune it so I ended up taking it to bismarck anyway and he did not seem very willing to work on a hoyt or it was that I had gotten my bow at scheels that had him turned off but either way was not the best customer service.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the guys at the Fargo Scheels, Brandon has helped me a few times. Its one of the few departments I have zero problems with in that store

bowhunter88

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies! My next question is, which pro shop should I take it to? Scheels? Archer's Elite in MInot? Bismarck? Stanley? I make frequent trips from Minot to Fargo so I am not too worried about where I go. Just want the best setup/tuning.

I had cody at bismarck scheels doing my stuff before he left. He knew his stuff. Not sure who the go to man in the department is now.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77