Deer rifle for the Mrs.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to get a new rifle for the Mrs. this year. She likes the fit of the Savage Axis XP. I dont really have much time around the axis models. how do they stack up against the 111? Id rather get her one that lasts and there has to be reason it that much cheaper than my 111.

For caliber we are looking at 7-08 or 308. Leaning 7-08 for flatter shooting and slightly less recoil. Looking to scratch the gun nuts brains on which cartridge is better suited for large game.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Either is a fine choice if you handload. I'm a big 7-08 fan, but, if you're buying/shooting factory ammo I'd steer you towards the 308 for greater selection and availability.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have Lee Breech lock reloading set. Not fancy but has done well for my 223 coyote gun. Upgraded to a hornady electric scale. have got done big game rifle yet, but would like to get the dies and powder this summer. Seems loaded right the 7-08 should be able to take care of any critter in the lower 48. not sure about alaska moose or brown bear. But I dont see her hunting those any time soon

- - - Updated - - -

Have you thought about a tikka t3. I have one and it is the best shooting rifle I have
We have not looked at to many yet. Id like her to shoulder a few more guns before i drop the cash. Ive heard good things anout the tikka and a few others id like her to hold

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know what the prices of the Savages are, but the Tikkas are quite nice. We picked up a Tikka T3 in .243 left handed for her. She didn't want to have ammo that was visually the same as mine (.308). So I picked up a box of the winchester Balistic Silvertip 95gr. Surprisingly it is quite accurate. I was able to hold about a nickle for 3 @100. We had to get a youth model for her shotgun, but the Tikka seems to fit her well.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
buddy got a 7mm-08 tikka for his wife and with the 162 amax it is a hammer and a light recoil fun little gun to shoot

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
If this is just deer, Id get her a T3 stainless/syn in 243. If she might hunt larger game in the future consider the 7-08. Ive shot more deer with my 243 than any other rifle and with a good bullet, it puts them down just fine. Also its a more friendly varmint round, less recoil, etc.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have plans for larger game hunting down the road so 243 is a little light. when she goes out for varmint she used my AR so thats not a concern. Im gonna have her look at the tikka for sure.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only thing about the tikka, if shes a small woman, it might be a little large. This might be worth looking at tho.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11Lady

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/78087/Savage+11+LADY+HNTR+7MM-08

78084.jpg

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
ya shes pretty short. 5.6. I had her hold the Lady Hunter. She did like that one but she doesnt like the price.... I told her id rather pay extra for a gun that she will enjoy shooting and carrying. she didnt like the weight and feel of her old savage 110 30/06 so we sold that last year.
I might look at the new marlin in 308 marlin. a lever gun may fit her better.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF how is the recoil of a 7mm 08 compared to a .243?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
$700 isnt that bad for a quality gun, should last a lifetime if taken care of properly...

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
call it 1000 after good scope and mount. like you said it would last a lifetime. But she looks at price tag first. just the way she was raised. Habbit im trying to break her of. I figure its better to spend 1000 one time rather that 500 4 times finding a cheap one she can be happy with

coyotetrapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
the ruger american is another one of those entry level reasonable priced guns that shoot better than what the price tag would indicate. My son shoots .243. It is light to carry and the fit and finish is excellent for the price you pay.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stock fit is very important. Game animals aren't like paper targets or prairie dogs that allow lots of time to find the sights. Her eye should line up with a scope with her cheek held firmly on the comb. (I can't use a Remington with a cheek piece because of my chubby face.) Length of pull shouldn't be too long and remember she will be wearing heavier clothing during hunting season. Every brand and often models within each brand will have a different stock design.
As for recoil, a little extra weight will do a lot to lessen recoil. www.HuntAmerica.com has a handy recoil calculator on its homepage. Balance your cartridge selection between power and recoil. You're on the right track considering the 7-08. A 308 with a 150gr bullet will kick more, but a 243 with a 100gr bullet requires better shot placement. You could also use the light recoil loads for larger cartridges. www.Hornady.com has a link on the left edge called Ballistic Resources and a thing called HITS in the BS drop down menu. Plug in some numbers and note the impact differences.
Have fun shopping.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought this for my 14 year old sister inlaw it come in 223, 243 and 7-08. She has the 243. She just killed a black bear with it. Looking to upgrade her to a bigger caliber for next year lots of choices of guns. This gun seem like a good gun it shoots well. Have not tested it much past 100 yard so for.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/axisxpyouthmg

My wife is shooting a Remington 700 in a 243. I had it restocked with a thumb hole stock. The stock had a shorter trigger pull. She has killed ND mule deer and Sask whitetail with it. I bought her a Remington 700 in a 7-08 last year. She seems to like it just has not had any tags to try it out. This is the 7-08 I bought her
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-mountain-ss.aspx

Seem like every gun maker come out with a ladies gun last year. Find the one that fits her the best.

Attachments

image.jpg

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a tikka fan myself. Very light to carry and accurate out of the box. Also, it comes with rings. I shoot a .270 WSM which is going to be too much recoil for her. You never want to her start flinching, obviously. .243 is a great deer gun but I see you have plans for bigger game. 25-06 would be my go to. One of the flattest, easy to find ammo guns out there. I also have a tikka .223 that is awesome to carry.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fracman that is the one she is looking at only not the muddy girl pattern and the xp has the accu trigger. but the length of pull and cheek rest fits her pretty good.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought this for my 14 year old sister inlaw it come in 223, 243 and 7-08. She has the 243. She just killed a black bear with it. Looking to upgrade her to a bigger caliber for next year lots of choices of guns. This gun seem like a good gun it shoots well. Have not tested it much past 100 yard so for.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/axisxpyouthmg

My wife is shooting a Remington 700 in a 243. I had it restocked with a thumb hole stock. The stock had a shorter trigger pull. She has killed ND mule deer and Sask whitetail with it. I bought her a Remington 700 in a 7-08 last year. She seems to like it just has not had any tags to try it out. This is the 7-08 I bought her
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-mountain-ss.aspx

Seem like every gun maker come out with a ladies gun last year. Find the one that fits her the best.

why do u consider a larger caliber an upgrade?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76