Synthetic Motor Oils

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been using Synthetic oil in my vehicles for a lot of years now. A question I have what does most of you use in your lawnmowers, garden tractors, golf carts, atvs, utvs and such.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Amsoil and always premium gas. I fill my bulk tanks with premium only so the queen and kids use it year round in their vehicles. Yes, there is a camera pointed at the fuel tanks!

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am 100% Amsoil as well, have been for 20 + years, became a dealer to buy it at a better price many years ago.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Auger some synthetic and gas conditioner that comes in a little bag works like a charm; etec always xd100; lower unit 100 % hp pro; lawn mowers rider and push oil from bakken; f150 twin turbos blend never use ethanol cept in truck. Outboard runs best on. 87 but can't buy it ethanol free. Anti ethanol yes I am

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Full synthetic in vehicle and ATV. Other stuff gets changed so often compared to usage I just use regular oil.

Also use regular gas most of the time unless it calls for premium. 87 octane but NO ethanol in anything ever except the vehicle.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
i used to use amsoil only but switched to royal purple so i didnt have to pay the dealership fee and get just as good a product at a similar price... i get it in cases or 5 gal jugs off amazon, I put it in my mowers, vehicles, and wheeler, i use merc synth in my boat since royal purple doesn't make a marine oil... my auger gets the eskimo oil just because its a little bottle

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I run Valvoline 100% 0w-20 synthetic oil in my 2010 Ford van and my 83 Caprice.

I run either Valvoline 10w-30 VR1 Racing oil (has .14% zinc), 15w-40 Rotella T (1200ppm zinc) or 15w-40 Delo 400 (.13% zinc) in my Willys that has a flat tappet 355 Chevy in it. The high zinc is OK as there is no catalytic converter on it.

I thought I'd add this since filters go hand in hand with oil, I use nothing but Wix filters in all my stuff.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Synthetic everything except for chainsaw barnoil and air-compressor which calls for straight 30.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use walmart's supertech in everything including the boats. Have never had an engine issue and have ran work cars over 300K.
Its half the price of the name brand stuff and walmart probably sells more oil than anyone.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mobil-1 Synthetic for the Yamaha boat motors, Rotella T-6 in the motorcycles, Amsoil in the auger, conventional 10W-30 in the small motors for the lawn care and I change them every other summer.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mobil 1 syntehtic in my vehicles, Stihl synthetic in all of the two strokes, then my mowers get conventional 30 wieght, either briggs brand or craftsman brand. I usually change my mower oil yearly and it's usually still clean at the end of the season.

Boat motor gets amsoil 10-40 marine.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
i used to use amsoil only but switched to royal purple so i didnt have to pay the dealership fee and get just as good a product at a similar price... i get it in cases or 5 gal jugs off amazon, I put it in my mowers, vehicles, and wheeler, i use merc synth in my boat since royal purple doesn't make a marine oil... my auger gets the eskimo oil just because its a little bottle

Have you seen the pour tests with Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil 1 synthetics? When it gets cold like ND cold, Royal purple would be the last one I'd use. Mobil 1 absolutely walked away from the above mentioned. Royal purple also doesn't like high heat very well either. One of power plants in Mercer county switched from Mobil 1 to Royal purple and went running back to Mobil 1 within a few months due to a wide variety of issues. Just food for thought. Its a good oil, but if you are looking for something top notch, the purple jug is not it. Now, if a guy is starting their vehicles in a heated shop or garage all winter, then to each their own. With my chemistry background it not only furthered my thoughts on Royal purple, and the more I dug into it, and the tests I ran myself.

For vehicles I run nothing but Mobil 1 synthetic, even in my 6.7 diesel. (5w-40). On my older work car that has a leak or two, I run Havoline. For the love of god, anyone reading this, do not use Penzoil or Quaker state, you are asking for sludge infested motor after some miles.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the love of god, anyone reading this, do not use Penzoil or Quaker state, you are asking for sludge infested motor after some miles.

I noticed that after i switched to Mobil 1, that the oil would darken very quickly. Now that i have been running it for a while and changing oil every 5k, it seems to be a lighter in color. I was a quaker state user previously. So the synthetic must dilute some of that sludge and mix it in with the system? Anybody else notice this after making the change?

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
for the love of god, anyone reading this, do not use Penzoil or Quaker state, you are asking for sludge infested motor after some miles.

Yeh, about 50 years ago this was the case with wax/paraphin/sludge build up, but times have changed. Hate to burst your bubble but penzoil platinum to considered one of the better synthetics on the market.

My go to oils are penzoil platinum in the wife’s enclave. Merc synth. DFI in the opti, merc syn for the kicker,, merc syn hp for Lower unit in both the kicker and main, motor craft 5w-20 semi synth in the old V10 workhorse, sleds get Cat 50:1 in the two older ones and Cat APV in the three newer ones, golf cart, atv’s, gravely mower, tillers, weed eaters, push mower, generator, and other small engines are all on various types of Amsoil, tractor is on a diet of rotella. F250 got amsoil in the front and rear diffs and trans when I switched gears and had the trans freshened. For me, it depends what it’s going in, but almost always lean towards synthetic if available except in the case of the old tractor. Everything gets 91 octane. Since a few of my engines require it, the tank at the house is filled with it, no ethanol and no keeping track of which one needs the good stuff!

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For some reason I've had no good luck with amsoil..... sorry if your an amsoil dealer.... but had a cat sled melt a piston, ran amsoil in a atv and had motor grenade the rod out the block, shotguned my old Cummins with amsoil and had the teeth on the pinion gear break off and took out the whole rear end..... so I'm kinda skeptical when it comes to amsoil but i do still run it in both of my atvs....2015 arctic cat xt1000 and 2015 can am 450 with no problems with either atv yet.... now that i said that ill prolly blow the motors on both, you watch lol

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious what any other guys run in their summer hotrods, I still run Mobil 1 in my 65 and 87 mustangs. I rev the piss out of that 65 most of the time with the rev limiter set at 6800 rpms and never had any bearing issues yet, transmissions on the other hand is a whole other can of worms, about one a year in that thing. Anyone got a Tremec 6 speed?

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeh, about 50 years ago this was the case with wax/paraphin/sludge build up, but times have changed. Hate to burst your bubble but penzoil platinum to considered one of the better synthetics on the market.

My go to oils are penzoil platinum in the wife’s enclave. Merc synth. DFI in the opti, merc syn for the kicker,, merc syn hp for Lower unit in both the kicker and main, motor craft 5w-20 semi synth in the old V10 workhorse, sleds get Cat 50:1 in the two older ones and Cat APV in the three newer ones, golf cart, atv’s, gravely mower, tillers, weed eaters, push mower, generator, and other small engines are all on various types of Amsoil, tractor is on a diet of rotella. F250 got amsoil in the front and rear diffs and trans when I switched gears and had the trans freshened. For me, it depends what it’s going in, but almost always lean towards synthetic if available except in the case of the old tractor. Everything gets 91 octane. Since a few of my engines require it, the tank at the house is filled with it, no ethanol and no keeping track of which one needs the good stuff!

It sure hasn’t been 50 years ago since this was the case. Maybe the last 2-3 years at MOST has penzoil cleared up These issues. I bought a 1999 Oldsmobile cutless awhile back. From day 1 the owner stated he had run Penzoil in it since new. This was confirmed with complete maint. records for the car, since day 1. Oil changed every 3000 miles. I bought the car with around 100k miles on it. It had a lower intake leak notorious on gm 3.1’s. When we repaired this and took off the valve covers there was half an inch of sludge in the top end of that motor. I had heard horror stories about penzoil prior to this but had never seen it on my own. It took a good hour to clean the top end of that motor out, as best as we could. Needless to say we ended up taking the oil pan off and also a shit ton of buildup. I ran havoline in it for 1000 miles, changed oil and filter. Ran it 2k miles, oil and filter and then went to 3k. After that I opened that motor back up and 95% of the sludge was gone. To me I’ll never trust penzoil. Add in the fact we have a few airplane buddies that saw issues with it and it’s case closed, for me. But I know for damn certain that oil will come no where near any of our airplanes or vehicles in the future. Doesn’t matter if it’s wrapped in a platinum jug or not. There’s just too many stories on hundreds of forums out there to back it up.

Motorcraft oil compares extremely close to Mobil 1 in independent tests. Although the 5w-40 Motorcraft is about $10 more an oil change compared to Mobil 1 for our 2012 f350 diesel . I run Mobil 5w20 in my 2004 f350 v10.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run whatever name brand oil is the cheapest (non synthetic) at the time in my vehicles. Mostly because I don't put many miles on them. When I use to put a pile of miles on I ran amsoil. I run amsoil in everything else. I also use amsoil in all the motorcycle/snowmobile shocks and forks I rebuild.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74