4 wheel drive / mechanic advice

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vehicle is a 2000 Yukon XL all stock
Early ice season I had gotten stuck in some of the warm slick snow. I was on a pretty good slope so I thought that might be the reason. Same day stuck again in a little ditch with about a 8" slope, more like the side of a prairie trail. Both of these times the snow was only maybe 1-3", should not have gotten stuck in my opinion. While stuck I was in 4 wheel drive only one wheel would completely spin while the other did nothing. Almost like it was not even getting power. Last night it did the same thing in my driveway on an ice patch. Look out the window and can hear the opposite tire spinning, but the one I see does nothing? Am I off base thinking something is wrong? I thought both would spin freely if on ice or the one not on ice would push the vehicle. :;:help Any thoughts? Thanks,

dewey89

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was it the front or back that was spinning?

Assuming it was only the rear spinning one and the front did not you most likely have an issue with your transfer case or the front diff actuator, could be an electrical or mechanical issue.

For only one wheel per axle to spin is normal unless you have a limited slip or locker installed in the axle differential. the tire with the least traction will spin first. Look in your glove box and find the vehicle code sticker, if yours has code G80 than it came from the factory with an eaton locker, based on your story I assume it does not.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^This

I got stuck in November when a bunch of snow came over night and I made the dumb decision to back into an approach that had a pretty steep grade. Two tires, one in the front and the other in the back, would spin. I finally cleared the snow enough with a swamp seat I had lying in the bed and flored it enough that I slowly worked my way out. It was sketchy, but I know had I locking diffs it would have been a different story.

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was it the front or back that was spinning?

Assuming it was only the rear spinning one and the front did not you most likely have an issue with your transfer case or the front diff actuator, could be an electrical or mechanical issue.

For only one wheel per axle to spin is normal unless you have a limited slip or locker installed in the axle differential. the tire with the least traction will spin first. Look in your glove box and find the vehicle code sticker, if yours has code G80 than it came from the factory with an eaton locker, based on your story I assume it does not.

It was both front and back that would only spin 1 wheel. Even when I would floor it I couldn't get them both to spin. If electrical, would it trip a code for the service light?

- - - Updated - - -

^^^^This

I got stuck in November when a bunch of snow came over night and I made the dumb decision to back into an approach that had a pretty steep grade. Two tires, one in the front and the other in the back, would spin. I finally cleared the snow enough with a swamp seat I had lying in the bed and flored it enough that I slowly worked my way out. It was sketchy, but I know had I locking diffs it would have been a different story.

Did you have any issues that needed fixed, or is that just the way it is. My old truck was a 2000 Silverado and I don't ever remember it being like this. I would assume that was basically the same setup as this vehicle now. It is making me almost scared to take it out on the ice with the big house now

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing wrong then. Unless you have a limited slip rear diff you will only have one wheel on each axle spinning unless things are totally equal enough for both to grab once in a while. Normal operation of open diffs.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
One wheel in back and one in front. That's it. Make sure your anti is shut off.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
9FF1250D-43DB-47BB-A414-B49E83A25129.jpeg

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shitty tires don't help either. In 4 low you get power to more wheels. That traction control thing SUCKS!:mad: When the streets are slippery that's the first thing I turn off when I start the pickup.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shitty tires don't help either. In 4 low you get power to more wheels. That traction control thing SUCKS!:mad: When the streets are slippery that's the first thing I turn off when I start the pickup.

4 low? if I am correct, and I am seldom incorrect, just changes the gear ratio. which won't help if you are spinning. if you are unable to spin the tires then I would think 4 low would be next move.. i have an unsourced opinion that 4 low is for towing heavy loads. never have put any of my vehicle in 4 low, I suppose a big boat up a ramp would be another instance.. any opinions on this site? (duck & run)

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could be right, not saying I'm right either, but on my 2010 3/4 ton Chevy I believe it engages my poise traction in the rear-end. I'm sure someone on here with more knowledge on the subject than me (I'm not a mechanic by any means)can clue us in.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
my 2014 chevy 1/2 ton work truck will get stuck in 1/2" of snow if the traction control and stabilitrack is turned on... to turn stabilitrack off you push the traction control button once then push it a second time and hold it for 10-15 seconds... i think it comes back on if you go above 50mph automatically

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76