arrow question

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So i bought a matthews switch back and got some easton full metal jacket arrows with it. Shot for the first time last night lost one arrow but have 3 left. How do i tell which arrows they are i didnt see any numbers on them that made sense to me. I need to get more. Just what i need another thing to take more time up and spend more money on haha..

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt if you only have thtee arrows now is a good time to check out arrows and shoot what you like. I shoot Carbon Express Maxima in my Mathews Switch Back. What weight will you have your bow set at and what weight broadhead? Then into that mix do you subscribe to speed or penetration? Is your goal deer or elk or using the same arrows, heads, and now draw weight for both? Before my shoulder messed me up I bought a half dozen of the small 6mm diameter arrows to try. Now I am looking at bolts for a crossbow and think I have settled on Black Eagle Spinal Tap custom with indexed spine.

Last edited:

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with Pghost on this. With only three arrows remaining and having to buy more, it would be a good time to see what's on the market. There are some very good arrows out there and a huge amount of options when building your arrows to get the weight and FOC that produces the best results for your set up.

But if you want to stay with what you have, what numbers did you see on your arrows?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to stick with these arrows was shooting 2-3 inch groups at 20 right of the bat. I will look at the numbers at noon i should ask my brother in law who i bought it from he fletched it and every thing. I like how it feels and he killed elk and deer with those arrows so i know they work. I think the bow is set at 70# i am shooting a scott release its got a four pin site. Probably shoot grim reaper heads as that is what a couple buddies use that i know and they kills stuff. Main goal is mule deer. Can you take the arrow up to say scheels and get them to match what it is. I have went down the rabbit hole of precision stuff with my rifle. I just want a bow i can shoot have fun with and go hunting.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting read, learning as I go too.....Already learned how to pick arrows by looking at chart depending on draw length and draw weight. So with 26 draw and 48 weight, I should be shooting a 400 spine arrow. I got Gold tips with the pse when I bought it, think i'll be sticking to them. I jumped on a diamond Egde SB-1 should be here next week.

Went and check again..hmm..forgot about the tip weight...think I've got 100 gr tips..soooo, that pushes it to 500...hmmmm if I shoot 150 gr..then I go 400...

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think draw is 29 but will check for sure at noon

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have went down the rabbit hole of precision stuff with my rifle. I just want a bow i can shoot have fun with and go hunting.

ha ha ha - I can so relate

rabbit holes are often an absolute delight to go down - but after a while a guy desires to just have fun - good enough is good enough

I'm not sure I have what it takes to go down another one - my job is technically intense so I need to relax too

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fletching on arrows wear out, they get lost when hunting, styles change, etc, etc. I say find an arrow you like and buy a dozen of them. Yeah, it's not cheap in the short term, but that way you will have enough of the exact same arrow for many years to go hunting and target shooting.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
just take an arrow to scheels, they'll hook you up. Avoid that rabbit hole

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fletching on arrows wear out, they get lost when hunting, styles change, etc, etc. I say find an arrow you like and buy a dozen of them. Yeah, it's not cheap in the short term, but that way you will have enough of the exact same arrow for many years to go hunting and target shooting.

That is my plan to buy a dozen right off the bat.

just take an arrow to scheels, they'll hook you up. Avoid that rabbit hole

i think that is the way i am going to go

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just remember, that when you get the new arrows, you will need to weigh the old arrows to find out total weight. You don't want to put a stock insert that weights 15 grains, when they have a 65 grain insert up front. The guys as scheels should be able to weigh the arrow and using the weights of components and grains per inch on the shaft figure out what you will need to build your arrows to match the weight of your old arrows.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i looked at noon they are easton axis fmj it has 400 which i am assume grains 10.3 gdi.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
after further research thats what i found to. 29 " draw @ 70#s the bow is the outback not the switch back. black gold four pin site and qad drop away rest.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The FMJ is a heavier arrow, so 10.3 GPI sounds right. The 400 number is a stiffness or spine number. Typically, the lower the number 300, 250, 200 etc... the stiffer the arrow. Opposite for the higher numbers. Thats where referencing the arrow spine charts with your bows poundage and draw length come in. If you are right on the edge of 2 spines on the chart, go with the lower number, the stiffer spine.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take some time and learn what to listen for when checking a carbon arrow for damage. The faint cracks and snaps will tell you if you need to retire an arrow or risk being in some of those shredded hand pics. (NO I don't need to see more of them here Thanks!) For my money, I'd never shoot someone else's used arrows. I have no idea what kind of abuse they have taken and hospital bills are expensive. Good Luck and Have Fun!! Hope you shoot a deer with your new toy so I can see the pics. (Grin)

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the fmj being carbon injected aluminum can they do the same thing that those horrible pictures we have all seen.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to stick with these arrows was shooting 2-3 inch groups at 20 right of the bat. I will look at the numbers at noon i should ask my brother in law who i bought it from he fletched it and every thing. I like how it feels and he killed elk and deer with those arrows so i know they work. I think the bow is set at 70# i am shooting a scott release its got a four pin site. Probably shoot grim reaper heads as that is what a couple buddies use that i know and they kills stuff. Main goal is mule deer. Can you take the arrow up to say scheels and get them to match what it is. I have went down the rabbit hole of precision stuff with my rifle. I just want a bow i can shoot have fun with and go hunting.

I once googled broadhead tuning and woke up with my own archery shop.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I just got done shooting. I looked up walk back tuning. That rabit whole is in site haha. Hit good at 30 just to the left every time. Addicted I can't wait to shoot again tommorow. It is so nice having no neighbors and a big yard

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
What websites do you guys use to buy arrows from? I want some fletched for me with a right offset fletch and don’t know what websites are trustable. I found one called papes archery, they have exactly the arrow and fletch colors for a good deal but don’t know if I should trust them or not. Any info?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74