Favorite fishing rod/reel

NDOUTDOORS

Im just wondering what brands of rods and reels are everyones favorite or go to. I moved over from the Firearms industry to Fishing and have found that there are a lot of great rods and reels out there. A lot of unknown brands.

Here is my list. please feel free to post your go to combos.

Panfish Zebco omega and a Quantum UL two piece rod Suffix elite 4lb or seagur 4 lb invisx
Quantum PT 15 size reel on a Fenwick or St Croix UL rod

Bass

13 fishing envy 7 6 MH rod and a concept C bait casting reel LH of course 15lb Flurocarbon

Northern

13 fishing Concept A3 with a 7 ft heavy Envy and 20lb Daiwa J Braid

Walleye 7 foot medium fast tip in either a fenwick, Daiwa, or Okuma rod with a 2000 size Daiwa RG 832 8 lb or J braid 10lb. I absolutely can not stand power pro line.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
President reel and cabelas guide rod medium 7ft with fast tip. If it gets broke or dropped over board I don't lay in the bottom of the boat in the fetal position very long.

Last edited:

Dalton

My favorite rod is my Fenwick HMG. I paired it up with the Quantum Energy. It’s my go to jigging rod for walleyes.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My favorite is a custom I built. 6ft 3 St. Croix SC V. Recoil guides, and spalted maple split grip. Reel is a Pfluger patriarch. It's my jigging walleye baby.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The rod I enjoy fishing the most is a 6' light St. Croix Avid with a ~15+ yr old Japanese manufactured MG body Shimano Stradic. It's my favorite combo in the rod storage box.

On a side note, Shimano moving much of their manufacturing to Malaysia has sucked for the consumer.

JB_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
My favorite walleye rods are fenwick elite tech's paired with pflueger president reels.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
My favorite soft water rod is a rod i built for myself using a 6.5 foot medium light xfast blank. Paired with a carbon fiber handle set and micro-guides it is a jigging machine. Normally use a 1/8 ounce jig. THat rod paired with a shimano 1000 reel and 10 pound power-pro super slick with an 8 pound floro leader has caught lots of fishies for me

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
St. Croix Legend Extreme 7' MLXF with a shimano stradic or pflueger patriarch. Nothing like feeling the ripples of a sandbar with an 1/8 oz jig.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
President reel and cabelas guide rod medium 7ft with fast tip. If it gets broke or dropped over board I don't lay in the bottom of the boat in the featal position very long.

Don't know that rod, but bang-for-the-buck, it's hard to beat that reel. And if it starts to wheeze, you can make a half-hearted attempt to fix, or just toss it.

I have a Loomis (lower end though) with a Pflueger Patriarch, and I cast a LOT. That's been a dynamite combo. The Supreme XT is a great reel too.

Used to be a fan of the Pinnacle Deadbolt Series, and still have a couple. But they feel like a chunk of iron compared with modern reels.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a 7' 3" Ugly stick GLX Elite Legend Ugly Stick with a Stella Artsi reel --- lifetime warranty on everything. Fishing line i use a berkley power pro spider wire hemp line that is 100lbs test but you barely see it with your eyes. I generally drag a 1/32 ounce northlandlindybooyah purple blast jig with a trailer. I can feel a grain of sand on the bottom at 150 FOW.

:;:howdy

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Favorite is whatever's in my hand at the moment.

And literally, at least a few times in life, that's been a stick with some string tied to the end of it.

I must just have too many kids around to graduate to really expensive combo's. I have some Scheels rods matched up to Pflueger reels that are pretty decent, and some Ugly Sticks that are good for pulling heavy bottom bouncers.

One thing I do have though, and that's a lot to choose from nowadays. Just nothing high end.

- - - Updated - - -

I may have to get one of these fancy sticks this spring for my bday present to myself, just so I know what I've been missing over the years.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Favorite is whatever's in my hand at the moment.

And literally, at least a few times in life, that's been a stick with some string tied to the end of it.

I must just have too many kids around to graduate to really expensive combo's. I have some Scheels rods matched up to Pflueger reels that are pretty decent, and some Ugly Sticks that are good for pulling heavy bottom bouncers.

One thing I do have though, and that's a lot to choose from nowadays. Just nothing high end.

- - - Updated - - -

I may have to get one of these fancy sticks this spring for my bday present to myself, just so I know what I've been missing over the years.

My advice to you, not that you asked, is keep doing what you do. Expectations only lead to future resentments. Whatever made you happy, should continue to do so, without spending a pack of money.

Does a $250 rod feel better and weigh less than a $25 rod? Yup. Sure does. Does it work better? Yes. Sure does. Does it work 10 times better, or catch 10 times as many fish. Nope. Absolutely not.

When you snap the tip off of that $250 rod, are you going to feel worse than when you break a $25 rod. Yup.

but..

I DO like the feeling of a walleye going stiff, clamping its mouth shut and flaring its fins and vibrating, when I set the hook. That's something I never felt, until I had a "good" rod.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Legend elite or legend extreme. Paired up with Pflueger patriarch XTs. Slap some nano on there for a ridiculously sensitive and oh so smooth feel. If a tip ever does break, send it in and get a newer one for the small price of shipping:D
I like the 7 to 7’6” rods.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Scheels outfitter rod and Pflueger reel combo I really like. Jigs nice, pulls light spinners nice, and pulls up to 1oz BBs nice. All around a good combo for walleyes.
I don't spend a lot on rods/reels though. I have had a Cortland rod and Mitchell reel combo for 15+ years now and it still works good. I use that for pulling deep cranks and heavier BBs. Also used to catch a ton of largemouth bass with it.

Biggest difference I have found through the years has been going to braid line. The feel compared to mono or flouro is night and day. And its only an extra 20$ for better feel, not 200$ haha.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Legend elite or legend extreme. Paired up with Pflueger patriarch XTs. Slap some nano on there for a ridiculously sensitive and oh so smooth feel. If a tip ever does break, send it in and get a newer one for the small price of shipping:D
I like the 7 to 7’6” rods.

These are the cat's meow.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I put a quantum Super light spinning rod through some hard fishing this year and it really performed well. Very sensitive of light bites and tough enough to pull on big snags and big fish! I don't think they even make them anymore. If anyone has 6' 6" medium sitting around let me know!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 64