Pickup tires

pluggin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am in the painful process of figuring out what brand / tread / etc for new pickup tires. I have gotten a few quotes and looked at consumer reports and it seems like everyone is all over the place. Figured I would look to the experts on here to see what kind of advice you could give me or experiences you can share with buying from certain places around bismarck and what brands and type of tires you recommend.

Thanks for your help!

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It would help to know what kind of truck you have, what you plan on doing with it, do you tow or haul loads, etc?

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Put a new set of Cooper AT3s on the F-150 this fall...couldn't be happier!

pluggin

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would help to know what kind of truck you have, what you plan on doing with it, do you tow or haul loads, etc?

1/2 ton dodge, 75% of miles in town or on highway. Other miles hunting or fishing. Pull boat in summer.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stay away from Hankooks. Been having a lot of problems with them around here. And elsewhere for that matter.

rmiller

Had some yokahama tires on a 3/4 dodge that were decent seemed to throw a lot of rocks on gravel. Currently have an F150 with Cooper AT3s have been very satisfied with them after I got rid of the Pirelli Scorpions that just didn't last very long. Yokahamas and pirelli came from tires plus service was OK not great free rotations. Coopers from Mandan Tire which has always been good to me.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stay away from Hankooks. Been having a lot of problems with them around here. And elsewhere for that matter.

What kind of problems have you been having? I have them them on both of my pickups. My work truck I’m going to get about 40000 miles out of them and my diesel that does a fair amount of pulling has about 15000 on them

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just went threw this myself. Bought a new F150 that came with the Cooper Zions. They are kind of a hybrid tire suitable for everything great at nothing. It doesn't help that I have very wide tires on my truck 375/55/20. They did last untill 62,000 and probably could have pushed a bit more if I didn't pick up a metal rod in the side wall.

I settled on the Toyo open country at2 extremes. After searching online I narrowed it down to the toyos and and the Bfg ko2s. The biggest factor for me was Toyo gives you a 45000 mile tread warranty where Bfg had none. They wernt cheap at 1500 for 4 but I am so far very pleased.

I had them put on the day before we got the last snowstorm in Bismarck so still pretty recent. So far I have not used 4wheel drive where I would with the old tires. I can make it slide going around a turn but as soon as I try to regain control it does. Almost get to over confident with them. I havnt towed with them yet but I did go with the higher load rating (f) as I tow a camper and boat often.

The real test will be this spring. Where I really felt the Zion s let me down was wet dirt roads. Not evan neccisarly mud. I had several sketchy drives threw hills that I didn't feel I should have during spring gobbled season.

The Toyos don't look to shabby either.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Falcon wild peaks are junk..... only good on dry pavement and that's it
Which wildpeak? I’ve heard nothing but good about the at3, and they might be going on my truck next fall. I’m thinking you maybe had the ht?

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Which wildpeak? I’ve heard nothing but good about the at3, and they might be going on my truck next fall. I’m thinking you maybe had the ht?

20180127_153146.jpg

20180127_153146.jpg

20180127_153227.jpg

20180127_153157.jpg

They are the at3's.... snow and ice they are terrible, my stock good year wranglers were better. Wet roads are like driving on ice, at the boat launch gotta use 4x4 cause the wet tires in 2wd will sit and spin. I haven't tried mud much but I'm sure they would do ok in the mud cause its a pretty aggressive tire. They are loud on diving down the road, increased in cab noise greatly at 70mph. Gas millage went from 26 mpg to 12 mpg. Tire size is 285/55/20. On a half ton chev with 6.2L. I bought these tires in July last year 2017 and have roughly 5,000 miles on them, while i use the pickup for leisure driving every once in awhile and towing 20ft enclosed trailer and my 5,000lb nitro boat

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^thanks for the reply. I guess I may be looking elsewhere.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sell Hankooks and use them. I have sold over 200 sets and have had 0 problems from my customers. What kind of problems are you having? I have not ot found a better tire for the money.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im on my 3rd set of Firestone Transformer AT. I've put 200k miles on them. They've been good to me.

Last edited:

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been a firm believer in the Hankook Dynapro ATM in 10ply. Over 65k on the current set on my Yukon xl. I also would like yo know what issues you are having. I was going to buy another set of Hankooks in the next 7000-10000 miles

Last edited:

★★★★★ Legendary Member

1/2 ton dodge, 75% of miles in town or on highway. Other miles hunting or fishing. Pull boat in summer.

I do abut the same with my E-350 van, lots of highway miles and some camera, water trailer and my flat bed trailer for my Willys. I'm running 10 ply Goodyear DuraTrac's and they are fantastic in mud, snow, ice, wet pavement and do really well on the freeway too. So far I've for about 32K on them and am at about 1/2 tread so I hope I get 45-50K out of them.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind of problems have you been having? I have them them on both of my pickups. My work truck I’m going to get about 40000 miles out of them and my diesel that does a fair amount of pulling has about 15000 on them
They have an issue with some that are causing extreme sway, over steer etc. With trailers on them you can hardly drive em.

pluggin

Founding Member
Founding Member
So it looks like mostly everyone has went with the all terrain tire instead of the highway tread. Any complaints about noise road noise or ride with the AT's? Kind of like everything I read and talk to different tire places everyone has their own opinion. I will say though that a couple places I have been the Toro's seem to be the most popular and also most expensive.

Thanks for the advice so far and keep it coming

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just put the Toyo AT2 Extremes on my Tundra in November, Compacted snow on the streets in town I thought is decent, But out hunting the section lines is very good with the snow, when it warmed up and the section lines when the dirt got greasy, no problems and no regrets.
I did step up to a 295/70/18 from a 275/65/18 and lost three miles to the gallon from High 16's low17 mpg to 14.8 and a few times low 15 mpg but 14.8 most of the time. I had the Michelin AT2 they were good in town and the gravel roads, but I got stuck a few times to many last winter in places I feel I should of made it, wasn't even touching the frame a couple of times swapped them out at 28,000 miles.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80