Peacock Bass: Fort Myers, FL

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
The wife and I are headed to Fort Myers for a few Twins/Red Sox games at the end of March. She scheduled in a "beach day" but I heard "Dirty Mike goes fishing on the intercoastal water ways day." Either way, if one of you has some info, please feel free to send me a pm. I'm scouring the internet but can't find much for the Fort Myers area.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did it out of Miami ~10yrs ago. Brought my own bait caster w/ Power-Pro as I prefer LH retrieve. Didn't catch jack-squat until I swapped to the guide's gear w/Flouro line.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ooh...you should go after a clown knife while youre there.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had to look up what a clown knife fish was, looks like they would put up a pretty good fight.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
maxresdefault.jpg

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My buddy used to have on in his aquarium. Cool fish, ate gold fish like a champ!! I thought they were from South Am.?

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife's Grandpa has a place in Venice(a little north). Last year I rented a toon for the day. Drove around so the girls could see dolphins and then the boy and I fished for a while. I'm pretty sure the dolphins in there have learned to push the fish to you. So they get the easy meal when you throw them back. Might be a little early but your going to be in one of the most popular tarpon spots.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Knifes are an invasive specie in Florida.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, rent a boat? Walk around like I own the place? I planned on hitting up the local walmart and pick up a cheap combo.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Invest in some decent 3 piece rods, easy to pack in your luggage with some reels. Airlines just changed oversized baggage sizes and fees. Tried to hit me on the way back from California for 200 bucks for my rod tube, I stood it in the garbage can beside me and said "what luggage?". Couple reels and a small tackle box and youre fishin. search online for a fishing forum in that area to eavesdrop on.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, rent a boat? Walk around like I own the place? I planned on hitting up the local walmart and pick up a cheap combo.

I really enjoyed renting the boat but you don't have to. We were in Lemon bay/ stump pass I belive. There the inner coastal shorelines were developed but the outer key's were mainly public land lots of shore access to the bays as well as the surf side.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found a couple of forums to look around. For as often as I would get to a destination to fish, I’ll probably hold off investing in any quality break down rod. I will throw one of my presidents in the luggage though. Lord knows I have enough tackle. Maybe Snooty will work down on tarpon.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
St. Croix Triumph travel is a good standard power travel rod.

- - - Updated - - -

Okuma Nomad will give you big ocean fish power.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want a tarpon, yourbest chance is a goot sharp hook on a 20-30# fluoro leader with a live baitfish of any kind tossed to them at night around dock lights.

Kngkong

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have fished many times right of the southern end of Fort Myers beach. You probably won't be the only one fishing there but lots of beach. Usually use a Cabelas salt striker travel rod, 7' MH. Have pulled in about 10 different species of fish including shark. most of the bait stores sell live shrimp that make good bait. make sure to wash your gear down good with fresh water after use, salt water is tough on things. I actually just got an Okuma nomad travel rod but have not used it yet, heading to Corpus Christi tomorrow so hoping that changes, but have really like the salt striker travel rod and it doesn't cost to much. good luck

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fun part of the trip is actually where we're staying. House boat for 5 days puts me on the water every day. I figured some corona's might meet their demise each night whilst casting. Which reminds me, I should probably buy a license.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 136
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77