Extended Vehicle Warranty

dewey89

Founding Member
Founding Member
How mechanically inclined are you?

Newer diesel I would say yes, all other vehicles no.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only bought one in my life. It was on a 96 dodge intrepid. did it because I had no place to work on a vehicle at the time. it was the wife's car and I just didn't want to have to mess with it. Best thing I've ever done. You know the lemon book they print for cars? well the 96 intrepid took up half of it. and sure enough everything in the book that they said could go wrong did. Saved me probably 11K. If I buy a new/newer diesel it will have an extended warranty on it.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do. Sometimes I've ended up ahead soomtimes it's cost me. I just consider it part of the vehicle purchase. I even paid for oil changes for I don't even know how long. For me it's much easier knowing I'm not going to have any major bills unexpectedly. When I have used it I've also gotten all the little thing fixed that I Prob a my never would have if I didn't have it.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you are a guy who keeps vehicles for a lifetime then I'd vote yes. Newer diesel, or even older diesel, hell yeah; they are expensive to work on. If you're me, absolutely not. I might also add I'm an idiot and can never seem to keep a damn vehicle for more than two years..... not a solid financial plan :(

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
That depends on how long do you keep your vehicles? My personal 2015 Ram I put 10 year / 100,000 miles factory warranty for $1,800.00 and my 2017 Ram work truck I put lifetime / unlimited miles for $ 3,500.00 I usually keep my personal vehicles for 8 to 10 years and my last work truck I drove for 15 years so at these prices it would only take one serious issue to cover the up front costs.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like was said..diesel..yes... for new cars...no no no no. IT is a racket for the dealerships. They make big bucks off extended warranties.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2016 F150 (gasser). I didn't buy the extendo warranty right away but I will get more opportunities to buy it before the factory one expires.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
If you buy one. Shop around. Price is set by finance manager/dealership. I only get a extended warranty if I plan on keeping a vehicle around 10 years. Only buy factory warranties. I have never bought a warranty from the dealership I bought the vehicle.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
You should have many, many, many, many opportunities to buy one. I swear to all that is good and holy the telemarketers that “sell” those do not understand the word no, nor do they understand the phrase please take me off your calling list. Everyone has to make a living but damn do they make me want to move to a deserted island with no cell service.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What BRK and Obi said...if purchasing a new vehicle prolly gonna have a 3yr/36K mile bumper to bumper. So unless you typically keep vehicles beyond 4 or 5 years, don't believe it's worth considering...IMO.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just about always trade with about 80-90,000 miles or about every 5 years. Like new vehicles so no, I never buy extended warranties and to tell the truth would not have used one in the past 40 years that I can recall. Pay for regular maintenance and have just no had any major trouble.

PS. These are GM vehicles

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope,nope, nope. It is impossible to sue or challenge them on anything because of the contract you sign. I fought them over my pickup for two months and never did get them to cover anything. The send it to arbitration which is set up in there favor. For small repairs they are fine but that's not why you buy the warranty

- - - Updated - - -

Bad memories I hate hate them f@#$res

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought a minivan from Rides in Bismarck. All their cars come with lifetime motor/tranny warranty. Was very thorough with that and the salesman asked me why I was asking so much about the warranty. I told him that when this hits 200k miles, I'll buy my wife a new van and this will be my runner. I'll put 500k miles on this.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lifetime warranty who has that? Imo the extended warranty is an insurance policy during a period of time the vehicle goes off manufacturer warranty until a later time when things do go wrong. Clearly these companies have done home work and figured out between 36k and 75 or 100 nothing goes wrong.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Buddy bought a new Nissan Titan last year....5 yr/100K mile bumper to bumper. For peeps that keep trucks 5 years and beyond worth considering a Titan...maybe?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
They don't sell them to lose money. If you live in the city(and have no handiness wit vehicles), have a known lemon car or are a teen age boy...it might pay.

FishinRN

Founding Member
Founding Member
For how hard they push them I can't imagine they pay out near what they take in on premiums. Anyone with experience on actually getting claims paid?

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
So like anything else there are good ones and bad ones, make sure you read the fine print as to what it covers and what the deductible is. First one I had was on a used 99 suburban and I definitely got my money’s worth on that one, $0 deductible and every time I took it in for an oil changed there was some type of gasket or seal they replaced along with a few other things along the way. Next vehicle two vehicle I only tapped into the extended warranty once on each so not a very good deal…I have not purchased one since … it’s a “warranty” for a reason sometimes you come out ahead sometimes you don’t

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lifetime warranty who has that? Imo the extended warranty is an insurance policy during a period of time the vehicle goes off manufacturer warranty until a later time when things do go wrong. Clearly these companies have done home work and figured out between 36k and 75 or 100 nothing goes wrong.

Ram Trucks have lifetime warranty for an additional fee. I purchased it for my 2017 Ram which I plan on driving into the ground. These companies are betting on people who trade their vehicles off every few years like most people do these days. I personally keep vehicles for many years and with all the electronics that can go wrong in these new vehicles I think the extended warranty is a good insurance policy

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67