All New Mercury 4-Strokes - Just released

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good to see development in normally aspirated 4-strokes!

I haven’t looked, is anyone using AL blocks or heads to reduce weight? Too much temp differential between materials (AL) and drawn in outside water vs. closed system like a car/truck has?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
You do know that Merc and Yamaha have been sharing technology for years right
I think they worked together early on in the development of 4-strokes. Not sure they have done anything together in a long time. Either way, they definitely aren't the same.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they worked together early on in the development of 4-strokes. Not sure they have done anything together in a long time. Either way, they definitely aren't the same.

If working together means Yamaha sold the technology they developed to Mercurys struggling 4 stoke engineers then yes they worked together.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
If working together means Yamaha sold the technology they developed to Mercurys struggling 4 stoke engineers then yes they worked together.
Haha i think thats basically correct. Mercury couldn't get their shit together before the Verado and basically had to purchase Yamaha engines and paint them black. Once the Verado came out i think any partnerships ended.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
The purr of my 250 Verado as I crack the throttle open on a flat calm morning is making me moist in the loins......

rapala_09

Honored Member
That is one ugly S.O.B. Looks aren't everything though, and if its a good engine I wouldn't really care enough to make it a deal breaker.

You do know that Merc and Yamaha have been sharing technology for years right
I'm not sure I've ever heard this before. Or believe it for that matter....

- - - Updated - - -

The purr of my 250 Verado as I crack the throttle open on a flat calm morning is making me moist in the loins......

hahaha

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 200 and 225 should fill that weight gap for mercury. Previous 200 and 225 offerings on the Verado are about 150lbs heavier than this new engine.

It really put some downsides on those 19' class boats. You were stuck putting on a 200 or 225 that weighed the same as the 250-350 engines. Cost aside, at that point you might as well jump to the 20' boats with the 250-300 engines.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
bfishn, since you have nothing to add to this topic I can run on your level; you can keep your grey motor. I've been there done that, bought the tee shirt and paid the repair bills............never, ever again will I own one. If you'd like to reimburse my receipts I have about $6k worth and this wasn't a blown up motor, instead something that didn't get any assistance from Yamaha on a 3 year old engine that 3 separate certified Yamaha dealers couldn't figure out.....and less than 1 year out of warranty. Yes you can keep your bs comments and your grey motor to yourself, enjoy while i get back to the topic which had nothing to do with your comment.

The bottom line on this, I would say the 4 cyl Verado is likely going to the graveyard and possibly the Optimax. Considering Merc will have a good 4-stroke offering with the 150 4-stroke and this new series that covers the 175-225 range and then the big block verado for the 250+ area (with a slight overlap on the 200/225 series). I think the writing is on the wall and looks to be pretty clear on where they're headed.

- - - Updated - - -

Pluckem, your right on with this new platform weighing in at 475+ lbs depending and filling a nice gap between performance and weight at the 200+- hp level. Prior to now, you either had to choose performance, weight, or 2-stroke in the 200 hp class. The 4 cyl verado is a bit weak compared to the Opti and 6 cyl verado but didn't weigh so much and offered the benefits that come with a 4 stroke. If you wanted performance you pretty much had to choose the 6 cyl verado or the Opti. The big block Verado brings another 150+ lbs to the rear of the boat and although the performance and weight are there for the Optimax, you had to deal with the 2-stroke noise and dfi oil. Hopefully this new series comes with the same reliability and smoothness as the 150. Not sure I like the visual style but that can be overlooked if the performance, fuel econ, and reliability all pan out.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, in 05' & 06' merc and yamaha 4 strokes were the same engine with only a different cowl and graphics. The Verado wasn't ready for debut and Merc needed to be CARB compliant so they bought 200/225 four-strokes from Yamaha to fill the gap for those two years and then moved on. On smaller sub 30 hp engines, merc has worked with both Yamaha and Tohatsu for more than 20 years......

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bottom line on this, I would say the 4 cyl Verado is likely going to the graveyard and possibly the Optimax. Considering Merc will have a good 4-stroke offering with the 150 4-stroke and this new series that covers the 175-225 range and then the big block verado for the 250+ area (with a slight overlap on the 200/225 series). I think the writing is on the wall and looks to be pretty clear on where they're headed.

I'd say that since this was announced at the Mercury press conference this morning, as well as being stated in the press releases, your "hunch" is correct. ;:;bowdown

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Didn’t see the press release or Confrence, just a brief post on walleye central in which I checked out the mercury web site. So are both the Opti and 4 cyl verado going away?

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just watched the press release, looks like the 4 cyl verados and 2.5L optis are be shelved for the new platform. Looks like the 3.0 liter opti will live on another year. This kind of suprises me as it hasn’t been updated in like 8 years. Apparently the bass boats are still giving the big block optis a heart beat.

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just watched the press release, looks like the 4 cyl verados and 2.5L optis are be shelved for the new platform. Looks like the 3.0 liter opti will live on another year. This kind of suprises me as it hasn’t been updated in like 8 years. Apparently the bass boats are still giving the big block optis a heart beat.

That's because you will never beat the power to weight ratio of a 2 stroke motor. Ever.

@ 70+ mph, those bass boys don't care about engine noise, because you cant hear anything over the wind noise.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Times are a changing, I see the 200 HP Verado and Optimax are within 5 lbs of each other now. No way would I go back to a 2-S for five pounds of weight. As far as weight to giddy-up ratio, that's a changing too. There will be 4-S with every bit the snap of a 2-S in the not so distant future, that's where all the R&D money is being spent...not on making 2-S any better.

As far as Y vs M, I've run both. Given my d'ruthers...I'd take a Yamaha just about every time. They can all have their problems, but in my memory bank it's been Merc with the systemic issues, especially in the Opti series a few years back. My old(er) Yammie keeps on a purring (granted, it's a 2004 model, so a Merc of the same generation runs the same powerhead), but I just watched a newer and unabused Merc discombobulate on the back of my Toon last year. A little over $9k of Merc warranty to put a new powerhead on got me back up and running again, but now I have trust issues again with Mercs.

Truth be told though, all of the outboards nowadays are just light-years beyond what I knew outboards to be back in the 70s and 80s. Take care of them and they should all last a couple thousand hours. And for most of us, that's a lot of years on the water!

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
Times are a changing, I see the 200 HP Verado and Optimax are within 5 lbs of each other now. No way would I go back to a 2-S for five pounds of weight. As far as weight to giddy-up ratio, that's a changing too. There will be 4-S with every bit the snap of a 2-S in the not so distant future, that's where all the R&D money is being spent...not on making 2-S any better.

As far as Y vs M, I've run both. Given my d'ruthers...I'd take a Yamaha just about every time. They can all have their problems, but in my memory bank it's been Merc with the systemic issues, especially in the Opti series a few years back. My old(er) Yammie keeps on a purring (granted, it's a 2004 model, so a Merc of the same generation runs the same powerhead), but I just watched a newer and unabused Merc discombobulate on the back of my Toon last year. A little over $9k of Merc warranty to put a new powerhead on got me back up and running again, but now I have trust issues again with Mercs.

Truth be told though, all of the outboards nowadays are just light-years beyond what I knew outboards to be back in the 70s and 80s. Take care of them and they should all last a couple thousand hours. And for most of us, that's a lot of years on the water!

Weight comparisons:

Merc Proxs Opti 175 - 431 lbs
Evinrude ETEC G2 175 - 535 lbs
New Merc V6 4stroke (lightest model avail) - 475 lbs
Merc Verado 175 - 510 lbs.
Yamaha F175 - 487 lbs
Suzuki DF175 - 522 lbs.

IDK where you are getting your information, but you are dead wrong. All those number came right from the manufacturers websites. Anyone who understands the differences between the two types of engines and has actually tore into them, knows that all things being equal (metal types, metal thickness, engine size, etc.) there is no way a 4 stroke can be as light as a 2 stroke. It's just physics. You can't add a head, valve train, cam shaft, and all the other parts that are needed for a 4 stroke and come away lighter than a metal plate with threaded spark plug hole and a carbon fiber reed valve of a 2 stroke.

The only way these 4 strokes get close to the weight of a 2 stroke, is going to be advancements in metal engineering allowing for thinner metal and different types/alloys to be used which equal less weight. If you in turn would apply those same technologies to a 2 stroke, it will be considerably lighter. The reason is, there is no R&D being done on the 2 stroke side (aside form evinrude) because our lovely government frowns upon mixing oil and fire.

And as far as Merc Optis having systemic issues... They had issues with the 3.0L block back in the early 2000s when they first came out, that was fixed in a few years. From what I've read, by the mid to late 2000s, they were pretty much worked out. The 2.5L block motors were always pretty reliable. Theres a reason that motor has remained relatively unchanged for roughly 20 years.

Go look at the bass boat market and show me how many 4 strokes you find. A lot of the used market is still running/rebuilding on Merc 2 stroke EFI motors because of the power they put out. The only reason Merc had to move away from the EFI motors to the Optimax motors was because of government emission regulations.

Bottom of the line, if you have ever been in the used boat market and did any amount of research on a particular outboard model, you will find issues here or there. But you are correct that as a whole, now a days, they are all pretty damn reliable compared to the motors of yester-year.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62