Skunk!

Icumpd

Founding Member
Founding Member
So last night my kids took my labs out for a walk while the wife and I started the fire pit. We had a good fire going when my black lab walked back into the yard and at first I didn't smell anything. But then Holy Mother of God the Skunk smell rolled in. Not putting it together right away my lab was upwind from us I thought we had a visitor somewhere on the premisis. So walked to the truck grabbed the gun out and jumped on the four wheeler and did a perimeter check. Nothing then it clicked in my little pea sized brain. My lab had gotten sprayed. So my question for you guys is what do you do when your four legged friends get sprayed. I use the recipe below but be warned it turns my Black Lab into a Chocolate sort of.

1 quart of Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 cup of Baking soda
2 teaspoons of dawn soap.

I soak the pup for about 5 minutes and rinse and repeat.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your method is the best "home remedy" for a skunk sprayed dog. I have used that method and have had good results. You can buy stuff at a pet store, but not sure it would work any better than the peroxide, baking soda, soap mixture. Plus its probably more expensive. And I think the tomato juice option does not work that well from what I have heard, just makes your dog smell like a skunky tomato and makes a big mess! haha

If use the peroxide mixture, be careful not to get any into your dogs eyes. If tomato juice is used, dont wear any white clothing, and save some for your beer afterwards! Your going to need one or three after you have to wash your dog again, because it still reaks!:;:muahaha

Last edited:

BX2

Founding Member
Founding Member
The recipe above is the same one my vet gave when I asked her about it. Ive been lucky my dogs have never been sprayed. my lab avoids them and the other points them. lol. Ive been sprayed 3 times so far. but never had to wash it off the dog. I was sprayed once trapping. once while bowhunting. my buddy shot a deer and the skunk followed the blood trail to us and tried chasing us off his deer. I was laughing so hard I couldn't hit the sob after grabbing my bow. The next one I chased into a ditch. he stopped when he hit the water edge and I stepped on him. dogs have been lucky tho.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
My lab has been sprayed twice and I've used that recipe both times and it works wonders. I now keep a good stock of hydrogen peroxide on hand.

Icumpd

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is my first time having to use it and t worked great except her face I did stay away from there so she still has a little smell.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought the premixed stuff at PetSmart. Same directions you used...... shampoo once, rinse, then wash/rinse again after letting the shampoo sit for five minutes. My Labraramer got sprayed while hunting pheasant south of Richardton. I saw him look curiously under a pine tree, then heard the yelp!

End of October makes for a long ride home in the back of the covered box. Was cold enough outside that I had to shampoo him in the tub. I have plenty of product left but I hope I never have to do that task again.

We should start a poll and see if you, as a dog owner, would rather pull quills or shampoo the skunk spray.....

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a roommates dog out hunting a few years back. That dammed dog loved killing skunks. She got sprayed 3 times in 5 years. The tomato juice does NOT work. Neither does Lemon juice. The recipe you have is by far the best!

Grainbelt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't laugh, I heard strawberry douch works well in covering the stench. Been awhile since the mutt has gotten sprayed, but I'm willing to give it a try once it happens. :;:thumbsup

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best thing you can use is "skunk off",comes in consentrate for your cloths and also a spray bottle for your pup in the field,works instantly!,my vet carries the stuff,not sure if pet shops carry it.

Was your lab coverd in yellow juice? foamin at the mouth?

Icumpd

Founding Member
Founding Member
She was covered in the yellow stuff but not foaming at the mouth at all.

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best thing you can use is "skunk off",comes in consentrate for your cloths and also a spray bottle for your pup in the field,works instantly!,my vet carries the stuff,not sure if pet shops carry it.

Was your lab coverd in yellow juice? foamin at the mouth?

This has worked great for me also. Plus it comes in a shampoo that is safe for their eyes. I have had to use it many times and always worked good for me.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
20 years of having dogs, I have somehow avoided the skunks every season.

JerryV

Founding Member
Founding Member
20 years of having dogs, I have somehow avoided the skunks every season.

You are very lucky! The OP's recipe works wonders. Just keep it away from their eyes. It does bleach the hair a little, but they won't care. Tomato juice is worthless. Save it for Bloody Marys.

Jerry

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79