Drag racing strip in Jamestown?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw an article about a planned drag racing strip going in at Jamestown. Anybody know the details?

I haven’t been into cars for a very long time, but there was a time in my teens when I was full of piss and vinegar and took an interest in vehicles. I only cared about smoking cigarettes and girls at the time and didn’t have a healthy outlet. I started running with a crowd of car guys and it turned out to be a good way to mingle with adults and learn useful skills instead of just being stupid and pissed off all the time.

Anyway, a track in Jamestown, if publicly accessible, sounds pretty neat. A good place for young restless dumbasses to stay occupied and learn a lot. Start building a car you can run at a drag strip and that’ll keep you productively occupied instead of destructive.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why drive 100mi when you can drive to the E end of Moorhead?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member

As an adult in Little Minneapolis, I have no desire to drag race. As a teenager in Bismarck, a drag strip 90 minutes away would’ve been awesome.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
only thing I have seen - posted on the jamestown drag racing fb page

I'm not sure where the location is at either.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Last night, a major milestone for Jamestown Drag Racing was achieved!
Our track committee found what we feel is the perfect location for a future JDRA drag strip. We have worked out a deal with the current landowners to purchase an approximate 26 acre parcel, contingent on the zoning changing from agricultural to commercial. We appreciate those who attended & voiced their concerns/comments at the two public hearings, the township decided to change the zoning in favor of the future drag strip!
We are extemely grateful to all involved & to those who have supported JDRA throughout the years. We look forward to the future which will include much more work but we are confident we have the crew willing to put in the effort. We do anticipate construction will take approximately 3-5 years, depending on fundraising efforts and other circumstances, but this is a major step in the right direction!
1f3c1.png
��
So here is to the future of North Dakota's first 1/4 mile drag strip!! We look forward to seeing everyone at the Jamestown Regional Airport May 19 & 20 for our annual event!

JDRA Track Committee
Tyler Michel, Michael Trautman, Brian Kamlitz

jdr.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You only need a gal of old white paint and a black topped county road. That's all we had back in the 60's and it worked for the babyboomers.:;:cheers

rhino2003

Founding Member
Founding Member
The land is located near the intersection of U.S. Highway 52/281 Bypass and County Road 40 or 34th Street Southeast.

http://www.jamestownsun.com/news/go...lears-zoning-hurdle-midway-township-residents

only thing I have seen - posted on the jamestown drag racing fb page

I'm not sure where the location is at either.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Last night, a major milestone for Jamestown Drag Racing was achieved!
Our track committee found what we feel is the perfect location for a future JDRA drag strip. We have worked out a deal with the current landowners to purchase an approximate 26 acre parcel, contingent on the zoning changing from agricultural to commercial. We appreciate those who attended & voiced their concerns/comments at the two public hearings, the township decided to change the zoning in favor of the future drag strip!
We are extemely grateful to all involved & to those who have supported JDRA throughout the years. We look forward to the future which will include much more work but we are confident we have the crew willing to put in the effort. We do anticipate construction will take approximately 3-5 years, depending on fundraising efforts and other circumstances, but this is a major step in the right direction!
1f3c1.png
��
So here is to the future of North Dakota's first 1/4 mile drag strip!! We look forward to seeing everyone at the Jamestown Regional Airport May 19 & 20 for our annual event!

JDRA Track Committee
Tyler Michel, Michael Trautman, Brian Kamlitz

Image-1.jpg

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
The land is located near the intersection of U.S. Highway 52/281 Bypass and County Road 40 or 34th Street Southeast.

http://www.jamestownsun.com/news/go...lears-zoning-hurdle-midway-township-residents

Thanks, now I know.

For those complaining about the noise - I have a hard time believing that it would be worse than the races at the fairgrounds every weekend in the summer and those run into the night.

Lots of folks live right around that and don't seem to have a problem - or at least I haven't heard of any.

D-Racer

Founding Member
Founding Member
For my part, I am glad that the community of Jamestown is rallying behind this, as many years ago, we tried to establish a track in Bismarck, but ran into so many roadblocks that we had to abandon the idea. For those of you who are not into this sport, you will find that you don't have to have a fast / hopped up car, just a consistent one....but I have to say, fast is a lot more fun :). It's also a great family hobby. Currently both my two sons and a few nephews have found their way to the track and I am also working on getting my grandsons into junior dragsters. It is something that they can take pride in and for me, has generated many friendships.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks, now I know.

For those complaining about the noise - I have a hard time believing that it would be worse than the races at the fairgrounds every weekend in the summer and those run into the night.

Lots of folks live right around that and don't seem to have a problem - or at least I haven't heard of any.
In my yard it depends on wind direction. One direction and it about shakes the rafters, while any other direction isn't that bad. They have had some drag races right at the Jamestown airport. The neighbor kid races and it's a lot louder than the actual races a ways off. I think he tunes his care about four hours three days a week.

CrankB8

Founding Member
Founding Member
Location is 1.5 miles north of 94 turn west on paved road that heads to Gavilon Elevator for 1/8th mile and location will be the land to the north. I live and work in this township and was at the meeting earlier this week. Land was re-zoned from Ag. to Commercial by township board. Now land can be sold to JDRC and they can begin planning and applying for building permits. They stated they had a 3-5 year outlook as they will need to do a lot of fundraising before beginning work. Even though the board passed the re-zoning I'm thinking there will be a lawsuit coming from some residents of Midway township as it's was kind of foggy on how the application for re-zoning took place.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my yard it depends on wind direction. One direction and it about shakes the rafters, while any other direction isn't that bad. They have had some drag races right at the Jamestown airport. The neighbor kid races and it's a lot louder than the actual races a ways off. I think he tunes his care about four hours three days a week.

I know what it's like. I lived by the fairgrounds in jamestown for 22 years. Had to drive by it every day going into town or back home.

As far as the cars go, my folks had a neighbor that raced. during the day, fine no problem if he wanted to run it. The guy was a dick sometimes and ran his car in the garage later a night. That's a bit disrespectful - that is a different issue than the actual races though.

Live in Mandan and have lived close to speedway here as well for the last 21 years. Again, no big deal but then I'm used to it too.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as the cars go, my folks had a neighbor that raced. during the day, fine no problem if he wanted to run it. The guy was a dick sometimes and ran his car in the garage later a night. That's a bit disrespectful - that is a different issue than the actual races though.

We may have been neighbors. This guy tunes and tunes and tunes his car. Your right this one is a dick. His Pit Bull run the neighbor lady into their own dog kennel because she couldn't make it to the house. She hollered at him and he ignored her. She was close and he heard her. After about a dozen shenanigans with his dog about six neighbors went to court and had the dog destroyed. I had to go testify. I wasn't one of the complaints, but I did have his dog in my Koi pond destroy about $200 worth of equipment including a fountain. He said it wasn't his dog, but then I showed him a picture. He told me I should fence my pond. I told him if one of my fish got in his back yard and bit his dog just go ahead and shoot it. If there is one thing I will not tolerate it's a vicious Koi. For some reason he thought I was being a smart ass. ;)

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck with a from the ground up drag strip. A very wealthy family built an incredibly nice track north of Pierre. It ran for several years but is now shut down because it never made enough to cover costs, they subsidized it to keep it open.

Fun to go fast...however technology today leads to less motorheads. I used to love being elbow deep in a small block Chevy. Those days are long gone now.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Please don’t mistake the above for a lack of support. I thought that BW was looking to go watch a race and didn’t realize there is a track near Moorhead is all. I think it’s fantastic that there’ll be a track in central ND.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70