Spearing Decoys

cooper

Wondering how many of you out there make your own decoys, or have dabbled in it? Looking to try some and don't know where to start. Do you just start shaping them out of a hunk of cedar or something? What tools, equipment, materials you use?

ND_Hunter

Some people use hand tools, and others use power tools like Dremels. It’s all personal preference. Rick Whittier gave a demo at the KX Sport show a few years ago that was really informative. He’s really helpful. You can friend him on Facebook if you have it and he’ll answer any questions you have. Or there’s some fishing carving groups on there too. I’m a member of Fosh Decoy Art. There’s many helpful people on there. I’ve tried to make a couple decoys myself, I’m still working of getting the weight just right so they swim. I found a template of a northern on Pinterest and printed it out and used it was a guide.

As for materials, some use basswood, Tupelo, pine, cedar, just depending on if the decoy is a working decoy or decorative. Rick uses white pine, but a lot of people in that Facebook group use basswood. I made my set of fins from old license plates I found. I draw the pattern on and cut them out with tin shears. I bought a hot pot lead smelter off Amazon for like $40 so I can melt lead. I bought a whole bunch of lead weights during Scheel’s spring fishing sale last year and melt those down. Some guys use wheel weights too.

The Michigan Darkhouse Angling Association has an awesome website with step by step guidance on decoy making too. There’s quite a few books out there too.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
i used some red nail polish my wife didn't want for accents etc.. has lasted at least 100's of hours and 10 plus years

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I considered making my own decoys a time or two and I found some AWESOME youtube vids on how to do it. Some from rookies like myself and others from professionals that will blow your mind with the detailed masterpieces they make. Gators aren't that smart, so in reality, anything that is different from the background environment will get a gators attention and they will investigate it. I used a crushed empty beer can on the line and had fish come in. If I were going to try to make my own, I would start with cheap scrap wood and screw up on that before I would buy balsa, cedar, tupula, or the other more expensive dek wood. Then I would cut the shape with a jig saw and whittle the rest to a shape I can live with. Making the well for the lead would be the toughest part I would think. Placement, depth, width, and length will all have dramatic affect on how the decoy swims and sits in the water. Fins don't seem to be as complicated. For me the best way would be to just start, make a mess, screw up, and learn as you go. Good Luck!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69