Trolling Motor Batteries

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to replace my trolling motor batteries. I've used the Napa deep cycle ones and haven't been real happy with them.

What's everyone else using? I don't plan on having my current boat for more than another year or two so I don't really want to spend more than $300 for a pair of batteries.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I second Crown batteries. I have run them for about a season now! Awesome, WAAAAYYY better than Interstate!

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember a thread somewhere every body was saying interstate was horrible and wallmart were better. I replaced one last summer and it was dead by fall. They replaced under warrenty. I replaced my other trolling moter battery this spring and it lasted one outing. Replaced for free again and I haven't had any issues since. With that said if you only plan on keeping it a year they will be under warrenty. I'd get the cheapest (wallmart) knowing the are all over and if and they'll replace it if it goes bad.

Founding Member
Founding Member
walmart.jpg
Yep Walmart

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go with whoever has the longest prorated warranty period, Walmart battery warranty sucks A$$ 364 days past purchase with receipt and no prorate past that.

Also remember that for this type of use high reserve capacity and lower CCA is better, the higher the CCA the less reserve a battery has.

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last 2 I have tried to warranty were regular batteries my Bro in law put in from walmart were not marine deep cycle only normal car batteries may be the difference.

Comes down to weather or not you want 2 year free replacement or one year free replacement & 5-6 year pro rated beyond that and the cost associated with each.

An old time once told me the junk batteries all come with handles built on them to make it easier to swap out every year.:;:exactly

Last edited:

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interstate Batteries are nothing more than a quick refurbish of an older battery, it seems like..... I'll never go back to that brand.... ever!

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never had a Walmart max last me longer than one season, and that's storing inside all winter with a maintenance charger on them. I've had very good luck with interstate for my boat, camper, fish house and electric fences. I have 10 or so of them at all times and generally get 5 solid years before they start showing weakening.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to try some AGM's, but I have a hard time spending more money to fix what isn't broken.

Founding Member
Founding Member
" I don't plan on having my current boat for more than another year or two so I don't really want to spend more than $300 for a pair of batteries."

Um this is what he asked.

But as for them lasting one year it makes me wonder, since myself and allot of guys I know that use their boats allot get between 5-8 years off of them.
Maybe they decided to go the cheap rout and make shit batteries now days I guess.
I'm running Trojans, crazy good batteries..

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to replace my trolling motor batteries. I've used the Napa deep cycle ones and haven't been real happy with them.

What's everyone else using? I don't plan on having my current boat for more than another year or two so I don't really want to spend more than $300 for a pair of batteries.

I am on my second set of these in seven years from Sam's club:
0072111277507_A.jpg

Last edited:

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only a few manufactures make lead acid batteries anymore. I've heard most Walmart batteries are made by Johnson Controls which is the same company that makes Interstate batteries (along with many other retails brands). I'm on 5th season with Walmart EverStart deep cycle batteries and I think they are finally about done. Still take charge but don't seem to last as long as they used to. I've heard 4-5 seasons is about normal for deep cycles. I will be replacing with Diehards group 27 as I got them for a steal so we'll see how they perform.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember a thread somewhere every body was saying interstate was horrible and wallmart were better. I replaced one last summer and it was dead by fall. They replaced under warrenty. I replaced my other trolling moter battery this spring and it lasted one outing. Replaced for free again and I haven't had any issues since. With that said if you only plan on keeping it a year they will be under warrenty. I'd get the cheapest (wallmart) knowing the are all over and if and they'll replace it if it goes bad.

Battery experts state that if you have a battery go bad you replace all batteries in the series. When you put a fresh battery with a used one, it inadvertently screws the new battery up.

I have the 36 volt system, I had one battery bad after one season, my battery salesman replaced all batteries for the reason stated above.

Why does owning stuff have to be so effing expensive.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66