Evinrude G2 250 HO going on my pontoon!

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put a down payment and got one ordered to re-power my pontoon thanks to Jake Stewart at Mild to Wild Motor sports in Mandan for setting me up. I have been researching outboards all winter long to replace my Yamaha F150 which is too under powered for my pontoon which is rated for a 250 anyhow.

From reading on several other sites and seeing guys with this setup on the same platform pontoon should run my pontoon 50-52 mph.

Evinrude also has a free 10 year full complete warranty offer on new engines that ends April 30.

The only other outboard i would have gone with is the Suzuki but the excellent reviews from marine dealers and shops nation wide plus the overall performance and economy and warranty put me over the top to go with the E-tec.
Here is what mine will look like, i ordered the same color white on white only with black / silver stripes on the back.
30441103_377460526084131_3953095114783457280_n.jpg

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will love that G2, Jake will take good care of you.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sweet motor. Cant beat the 10 year warranty right now. Never ran one but would not hesitate to own one, especially if blondie is included

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sweet motor. Cant beat the 10 year warranty right now. Never ran one but would not hesitate to own one, especially if blondie is included

I think the "Blondie" option would cost way too much plus the long term maintenance costs would be killer. I wouldn't mind a test drive though.:boating::crazythumb:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pontoon = 2 stroke ----- specially if you have kids!!!!

Good choice --- does it come with the blonde???

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the "Blondie" option would cost way too much plus the long term maintenance costs would be killer. I wouldn't mind a test drive though.:boating::crazythumb:

I bet she doesn't even come with a 6 month worry free warrantee either.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if anyone has ever flipped a pontoon ? There is a lot of surface area for lift. It looks like it hurts.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hard to beat that 10 yr warranty. Evinrude had to do something to get folks to run them. Should get that pontoon moving that's for sure. Myself I'd have probably put that suzuki on the back. 2 strokes are kind of a thing of the past, buying oil and all. But if your planning on keeping it 10 yrs you should be a happy camper. Tough to sell used boats with any make of them on the back these days. Especially Evinrudes. But I haven't heard anything bad about these G2s and the look is starting to grow on a guy. Have fun!

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
The e-tec G2 is cleaner emissions wise than most 4-strokes anymore heck they are even approved in California as some 4 strokes are not. Mechanically these things are awesome from all my research into them and from talking with large marine shops who work on all brands, these and the Suzukis came out on top every corner i looked around it seems. All said in the 4 stroke world the Suzuki is as good as it gets from a reliability, durability and longevity stand point but throw in fuel efficiency and overall performance the E-tec blows all else away.
The looks are awesome as well and the ability to custom order them in whatever color schemes one wants is awesome too.

Still have to buy oil for them 4 strokes too but mine is less hassle as I don't have to change it and deal with that mess anymore lol.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your going to hear all this anti etec bullshit buy a black engine ---- take it from someone that owns one -------- mine has been in the shop once - replace the water pump so it would stay under warranty. My warranty was only 5 years --- so i did my 3year for the most part except the pump. ------ my brother has a black engine - he has been in the shop to equal way over what i pay for oil a year --- oil change costs how much?

The accel - on a toon will give your neck a snap --- plus your kid can do all what he wants to do. i hated black engines when i was young none of them had any backbone even if you propped em right ---- Black engines are made for speed and they never had any decent torque

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
So a 250 Yamaha wasn’t available? Jk. Have a good time with that G2.

I was a Yammy man hard core and was looking at getting a 250 SHO without even thinking twice....................until I found out there were none to be had for a year or better due to a tooling issue with Yamahas higher HP engines 200+ which got me to doing research on what else was out there and boy am i glad I did research the hell out of it for about the last 6 months. Learned a lot which is why I am going this route now.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your going to hear all this anti etec bullshit buy a black engine ---- take it from someone that owns one -------- mine has been in the shop once - replace the water pump so it would stay under warranty. My warranty was only 5 years --- so i did my 3year for the most part except the pump. ------ my brother has a black engine - he has been in the shop to equal way over what i pay for oil a year --- oil change costs how much?

The accel - on a toon will give your neck a snap --- plus your kid can do all what he wants to do. i hated black engines when i was young none of them had any backbone even if you propped em right ---- Black engines are made for speed and they never had any decent torque

They didn't try to go against a Pro XS for a reason. Ha

I can appreciate any motor, but my black motors have been flawless. Knock on wood.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. My 6 year old Optimax just went to my shop for a new impeller. All that MO River sand and Red River mud didn't hurt it much at all.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
From all my research what really surprised me was how little discussion I found at all about mercs across fourms and FB boat pages and talking with marine dealers in high population boat areas like the great lakes and coastal areas. Seem to be really popular here in the midwest states but not as popular anywhere else except for the "R" series for the high end guys. That is the one brand that wasn't mentioned but a very few handful of times from places across the country for talk of overall quality or anything else for that matter. They got extremely low reviews on fuel economy especially when they were brought up.

I do not think there are any "Bad" engines on the market anymore overall but there are some that are definitely better than others in areas.

Like an old time mechanic told me many years ago when it comes to anything mechanical and arguments like this is better than that stuff.
"If there was anything ever built that was perfect we would all be unemployed".

LiebelsGuide

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love my etec and it has been great to me! I am even more excited to get the G2! The NWT guys last year running a 620 ranger/g2 combo were getting 3mpg at 58mph! New boat should be here within the next 10 days!!! At least i'll have time to rig it before ice off!

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I love my etec and it has been great to me! I am even more excited to get the G2! The NWT guys last year running a 620 ranger/g2 combo were getting 3mpg at 58mph! New boat should be here within the next 10 days!!! At least i'll have time to rig it before ice off!

Running a tiller again?

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jake just let me know he got the engine in today, get to see it in person in the morning. Oh Boy!!

This is going to be a fun day for you.

Makes me laugh, because I can relate. Waaaay back in 1997 I ordered a brand new, new body style, new everything Sea-Doo PWC. Had only seen brochures. I went to visit Moritz the day they took it arrived and they took it out of the crate. Still remember that day very clearly!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67