AIM Location Change to Devils Lake

Denny

Moving Day In North Dakota: Boat Launch Construction Shifts May 20 AWWS Event To Tricky Devils Lake Instead

Presented by Yamaha Motor Corp USA and Warrior Boats LLC.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 18, 2018
Anglers Insight Marketing LLC (AIM™)

Ok, all you North Dakota anglers who’ve begun scouting island-strewn Lake Audubon to prep for the AIM Weekend Walleye Series North Dakota Division’s second Warrior Boats Open qualifier of the season on May 20. Set your sights instead a bit east instead, on farm, barn, and other obstacle-strewn Devils Lake.

“Due to unforeseen circumstances, namely the Army Corps of Engineers deciding it was time to upgrade the East Totten Trail boat access, where we were permitted to use, we’re instead heading east to another fantastic fishery, Devils Lake,” reports Denny Fox, AIM Weekend Walleye Series national tournament director.

AIM worked with the North Dakota Game and Fish Department to use an alternate access on Audubon but ultimately the department decided this was not a viable option.

AIM will also be visiting Devils lake on August 12[SUP]th[/SUP] and both events will be headquartered from Beautiful Woodland Resort on Creel Bay.

“Last year’s AWWS Devils Lake tournament in May was won shallow in weeds but teams should be ready for anything when they come here,” Fox said. AIM will preview the event further next month.

Meanwhile, watch for updates for the tourney double-header on April 29 that opens the North Dakota Division season on the Missouri River at Bismarck, and when the Wisconsin Division docks at Winneconne, Wisconsin, on the Wolf River Chain of Lakes, at AIM’s Facebook page.

Anglers Insight Marketing LLC (AIM™) is a unique tournament organization created and owned by many of the most accomplished and recognizable professional walleye anglers, along with others who share the mission of advancing competitive walleye fishing and making it sustainable into the future. AIM is committed to marketing excellence on behalf of its tournament competitors, the tournament host communities, and the brands that partner with it. AIM is also committed to maintaining healthy fisheries across the nation by the development of the exclusive AIM Catch-Record-Release™ format which is integral to its dynamic events and unparalleled consumer engagement. For more information about AIM™, AIM Pro Walleye Series™, AIM Weekend Walleye Series, AIM sponsors and AIM anglers, visit www.aimfishing.com.

AIM Presenting Sponsors: Yamaha Motor Corporation U.S.A. and Warrior Boats, LLC.

AIM Supporting Sponsors: Mercury Marine, Nitro Boats, Garmin, Navionics, Power Pole, Worldwide Marine Insurance, AirWave Pedestals, Off Shore Tackle, Vibrations Tackle, Pro Chattrr, Gemini Sport Marketing, Treeland Resort, Anglers Avenue, Moonshine Lures Shiver Minnow, JT Outdoors Products, Fox River Lures and Rods

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bumper boats with locals and shore fishermen chasing those shallow walleyes should make for a temper flaring bonanza of hard feelings. I hope I'm wrong, but I've been in channel A in May without a tourney going on and it was a F%#K FEST of inconsideration. I can GUARANTEE you, I will be someplace else. Good Luck Guys!!!!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do I have to add some protection to my boat for that weekend?

- - - Updated - - -

And I can hear my prop(s) cheering in the garage.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do I have to add some protection to my boat for that weekend?

- - - Updated - - -

And I can hear my prop(s) cheering in the garage.

might wanna nab that prop I called you about last week.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bumper boats with locals and shore fishermen chasing those shallow walleyes should make for a temper flaring bonanza of hard feelings. I hope I'm wrong, but I've been in channel A in May without a tourney going on and it was a F%#K FEST of inconsideration. I can GUARANTEE you, I will be someplace else. Good Luck Guys!!!!

It was around the same time last year out there too. It actually wasn’t bad at all. Probably helped that you really couldn’t get up channel A last year. I suspect that will be similar this year.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
That might be about that perfect "inbetween" time when the eyes have lockjaw and the pike wake up with a vengeance.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
They will all run up to pelly. Ice out the week before. It won't be a. Good bite imo. Northern bite will be delayed. One thing that u can count on wind. No runoff the hazards will be similiar to last yr

- - - Updated - - -

U hit an. Old Ash tree stump that has been dead for 20yrs. Prop will be the cheap fix the lower unit will say hi maybe even more

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
Wow with all the business Denny is giving Woodland resort, maybe they should become one of aims major sponsors! But for all seriousness there are many other lakes that could have been picked instead of devils.

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
Oahe, Darling, astubula, tailrace, tschida, Bowman-Hayley, Jamestown res! Lots of options. The tailrace that time of year will be on fire!

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
So much for me fishing it now... oh well saved myself 300 bucks

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe the problem with other lakes is the facilities and boat ramp access. If you get over 40 boats that is really going to tie up a place and I think the G&F will not issue permits in those cases.

- - - Updated - - -

The Pheasants for the future tourney was moved a few weeks ago to New Town Marina because of the boat ramp issue at Audubon.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use my phone for a keyboard:

1. Majority of the boats will be up in pelican lake - its protocol for some
2. Iceout will be late - hence the northern bite will be one or two weeks later then normal
3. Walleye bite will be tough -- but somebody will get em
4. A alum prop may help if you hit a tree -- but imo your screwed no matter what; stainless will either bounce off -- or take out your lower unit, seals, drive.......$$$$$$$$$. I have been fishing that thing since the mid 90s. The only thing that cost me was somehow picking up somebody's line that they bailed off a reel (super line) cost me a lower unit. Other than that if you tip toe where the hazards are your good to go.
5. Run off will be nothing

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member

2. Iceout will be late - hence the northern bite will be one or two weeks later then normal
4. A alum prop may help if you hit a tree -- but imo your screwed no matter what; stainless will either bounce off -- or take out your lower unit, seals, drive.......$$$$$$$$$. I have been fishing that thing since the mid 90s. The only thing that cost me was somehow picking up somebody's line that they bailed off a reel (super line) cost me a lower unit. Other than that if you tip toe where the hazards are your good to go.

No doubt there are plenty of obstacles in that body of water. I'm still a little rattled after banging a brand new stainless off an audubon rock.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member

Found an old township road some years back. Map didn’t show it wel...bang. I guess that’s what I pay insurance for.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ran over some logs a couple years ago on DL . Was going ultra slow and somehow wedged a tree between my skegg and prop. Busted off the tip of my skegg. wtf
There are many many ways to screw up something on that lake. LOL

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not disappointed one bit in the move. The inconvenience of not being able to go home everynight and the added expense of somewhere to stay isn't a big deal to me. I was not happy at first about the Audubon tournament but then warmed up to the idea of learning something new about a body of water I know very little about.

Well now its off to woodlands. My wife and kids love it there and so do I so that out weighs the inconvenience of the move. The first day and a half up there last spring sucked. We covered over a hundred miles before we caught a walleye. But when we found them it was well worth it. I have heard that Denny explored other options and this is the only place that would work out for the time slot. I for one can appreciate that they kept the same date and didn't move it as well.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69