My Willys

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had some questions in the camping thread about my Willys. Rather than muck up that thread I thought I'd make one here.

It's a 64 Willys Traveler with a special body and suspension made for the US Border Patrol. They made about 525 of them and mine seems to be the only one still registered and plated. Willys made all 525 at the same time in the summer of 1959. Then pushed them in the back lot until they had a run of them come up. They went through in groups like 114, 87, 28 and so on, mine was in a group of 5 in 1964. Back then they didn't title them until they were sold or delivered to the customer. So even though it was built in mid 59 it wasn't titled until 64.

They had a 3" factory lift, doors on the back instead of a tailgate, flat topped fenders inside for "jump seats" down the sides instead of a regular back seat, smaller side windows and the sliding one only goes 2" instead of 12", a second 10 gal gas tank, extra gauges, slightly taller roof/a PowerLock in the rear axle and some other stuff I don't remember now.

A friend and I drive it from the port of entry in Naco Mexico/Naco AZ to the port of entry in Coutts Alberta/Sweetgrass MT and back. That was a great trip and we had a ball doing it. I've driven it from WY to AZ 8 times and all over the West. It's a lot of fun to drive and hunt/camp out of. I picked up a 40 something trailer made out of a pickup bed and I'm making a much better trailer out of it to pull behind the Willys.

I bought it off a street corner in Tucson for $1400 in 1994. It ran like shit and wandered all over the road when I drove it home. It had 4 different brands of tires and of those 3 were different sizes and tread patterns. A new set of tires fixed that and new shocks too. A good tune up (points/condenser/rotor/cap/plugs/wires/rebuild carb/hoses/belts/rad cap/thermostat/new filters and an oil change) fixed the driveability problems.

Mine still has the original paint. It had been "worked on" a lot buy the 10K previous owners so not much was still stock when I got it. I took the 305 out and put a 350 Chevy in it, a SM465 (4 speed) and NP205 (transfer case) in next. I put a dana 44 out of a Scout II (forged 1 piece axle shafts) with 4:88's and a spool in the rear, I'm building the front axle now Scout II dana 44 with 4:88's and a Detroit Locker AND disc brakes (D44 outers from a Ford 1/2 ton), I picked up a used set of leather seats I'm going to add seat heaters to, made an overhead console and a spare holder inside. When I finally get done it will be pretty much exactly what I want. I am thinking about dumping the 4 speed for a 400 turbo or 700r4 to make it easier to drive.

Here's a few pics of it. I'ts got either 34/9.50's or 33/10.50's on it with nothing but the factory lift.

miscpics043.jpg

jeep01.jpg

dragroon jeep-02-04.jpg

22250chrono01rt6.jpg

Willys-02.jpg

DSCF2187.jpg

new leg w:Max.jpg

Willys snow 1:1:15.jpg

My trailer is a work in progress. So far new 5000# axle w/brakes and springs, all LED lights, 2500# winch and battery to run it, same bolt pattern as my Willys so wheels and tires interchange, same width as the Willys and a little more ground clearance than the Willys. Hope to paint it to kinda match the Willys this summer.

My water:camping:hunting trailer -01.jpg

Last edited:

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That looks like a good hunting rig. And it's about as original as they come. lol, Other than the body what hasn't been replaced? The good news is I'm betting that everything you have replaced made it better.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Wow! That’s a classic! I’m impressed! Last winter I almost bought a late WW2 Jeep on a sealed bid, mostly restored. Was 100 bucks under the winning bid! Was going to paint it up like either Patton’s Jeep or a standard WW2 Jeep as a medic setup or mount a reproduction .30 cal machine gun on it, etc. Didn’t get it, though......just as well. I don’t need any more projects and toys.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
nice ride. the side view doesn't do the thing justice. front view gives you a real picture of its true nature. adding the auto transmission would be nice. but, seems like a serious PITA. is there even room for it underneath? take that question with a grain of salt cause i am no restoration expert.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
nice ride. the side view doesn't do the thing justice. front view gives you a real picture of its true nature. adding the auto transmission would be nice. but, seems like a serious PITA. is there even room for it underneath? take that question with a grain of salt cause i am no restoration expert.

Thanks for the compliment!

I want to swap the 4 speed for an auto because it would make it much easier for me to drive. There is plenty of room under it for an auto, either a 400 turbo or a 700R4 and the Dana 300 transfer case I have sitting in the shop.

Right now I have a hand throttle to help out as I've only got one working foot and 3 pedals. :;:smokin

Last edited:

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Wow, 2400! Beautiful restoration you are doing! If you ever bring it to one of the many car shows in Lake Havasu City, I want an up close personal nickel tour!
BTW a built in dual bander would look good next to that antiquated CB. LOL

Last edited:

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wow, 2400! Beautiful restoration you are doing! If you ever bring it to one of the many car shows in Lake Havasu City, I want an up close personal nickel tour!
BTW a built in dual bander would look good next to that antiquated CB. LOL

I've got a Yaesu FT-2900 thats going in the overhead console.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
that is cool... I've wanted an old jeep to do something with for a while

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103