Spotting Scopes

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at picking up a new spotter before the upcoming Elk season, was fortunate enough to draw a tag. Whats everyones thoughts on spotters as far as brands, clarity, best bang for your buck etc....

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best bang for the buck
Vortex razor HD, get the old model 80mm and save quite a bit. Or buy the new 85mm
This coming from a Swaro HD guy.

Good deal here.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VORTEX-Opt...701515&hash=item41e1413121:g:LzAAAOSwxWda7F-q

Or steal an older swaro and be very happy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swarovski-...977395?hash=item1a4d985073:g:RZ0AAOSwLLZa6HK3

If you want to pac light this is a great little scope by Leupold and its a steal at this price as well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEUPOLD-GO...628575&hash=item4d72b31e02:g:06IAAOSwP25a53Vr

Last edited:

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
2400,I have the same Leo. Love it! Optics first class, compact enough for even an old guy like me to easily carry, digiscopes easily, great eye relief. Hard to beat for the price. There’s the regular Leopoldo.gold ring and the gold ring ?HD? I bought the HD for what it’s worth and dunno how it compares to the regular gold ring, Also I bought a refurbished model from the factory which saved hundreds of dollars and seemed new in box.
Like most optics nowadays, spotters, sights, binoculars, there’s so many good ones out there compared to when old guys like DB and I were starting out it’s amazing. Almost like digital electronics, unbelievable 40-50 years ago.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever you end up purchasing- spend a little more now and be happy with it. Dont purchase on the cheap - you'll regret your decision in 2 years.

I bought a cabelas KRONOS this spring. So far i like it. They had a great sale, a 20-60 x 85 was $700. Dont forget a sturdy tripod!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
That Leupold 12-40x60 really nice if you wear glasses as it's got a longer eye relief than most of the others. You can roll down the rubber eye cup and leave your glasses on to use it.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I had the bucks it would be Swarovski followed by Leica. Nearly as good and much cheaper are the Vortex Razors. Half the price and my eyes are not good enough to see a big difference. I wanted to pack mine so purchased the 60mm rather than the 85mm. So far I really like the scope.

I wear glasses and SDMF is right about the eye relief with the Leupold. I do get full field of view up to about 35X. At 47X it cuts my field of view by about 20%.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got the Cabelas Euro HD(Meopta). In the tests I've read it competes very well with the Swaro. If you watch for sales it can be had in the 1700-1800 range.

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also have the cabelas euro hd and to me I don't know how the optics can improve much simply amazing but the only other too end optic I have got to compare it to side by side was a 10 year old swaro and imho the euro was brighter and more crisp than that but again it was 10 years old. Cabelas has some very good sales on them if you watch I paid 1500 or 1550 for mine last fall.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bought a Cabela's brand spotting scope at least 20 years ago.Still use it and think it works pretty well. Have no idea who made the scope for Cabela's. Works pretty well is a relative term. I think I see pretty good through that older spotter then I look through my son's $1000+ Leopold. Big difference. So relative is "can you see what you need to see satisfactorily?"

At a pretty long distance, further than I can shoot, I can count points, determine whether it's something I want to shoot, etc. Can I pick a single horn out of an animal standing in the brush at that same distance? No. As with all optics, try them out is good advice and a question such as this can shorten that search. Once you have some info, then use the rule, "Buy as much as you are comfortable spending."

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once you have some info, then use the rule, "Buy as much as you are comfortable spending."

I don't have anything pertinent to add here. Just wanted to admit that I have come to the realization that I am a glass snob. I am scared to know what I have wrapped up in binos, spotters, and camera gear.

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Vortex Razor HD 65mm straight eyepiece. Wish I would have went with the angled. If you want to take it for a test drive for a bit let me know. Great piece of glass.

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
why the angled vs the straight???

I have a Vortex Razor HD 65mm straight eyepiece. Wish I would have went with the angled. If you want to take it for a test drive for a bit let me know. Great piece of glass.

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went with straight as thought it would be great for glassing from the truck. Turns out I don't glass from the truck much at all. The straight sits me up too high/bends me in all sorts of knots when glassing. Thinking angled would be better.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went from a straight to angled and am 100% happy with my decision. WAY more comfortable when glassing in the field. Straights are better from a pickup window. But if you buy an angled that has a rotating body you can use angled pretty easily from a pickup also.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Angled is great off a small tripod, but I can't find things as quickly when there are few landmarks. I sold both of my angled view and use a taller tripod.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
swing over sometime and you can try out my angled window mount with the rotating body and see if you like it. like mentioned before in the field I like the angled, in the truck it takes a little getting used to but the work allright. a good tripod with a lot of easy adjustments is definitely something else you will need.

- - - Updated - - -

you selling the razor?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am a vortex fan boy and run a old style 85 razor it is awesome but it is in no way a swarovski. For my use the razor works great but dont look through a swaro during bad conditions you will see the difference and it will make you want to own one. I do and am saving

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt my son has had the Swaro scope for I think three years now. My brother has binos, and I have the range finder. I wish I had the bucks for that Swaro equipment. The range finder is so clear and bright I often don't carry binocs when I am out walking and hunting. I keep thinking I don't see a lot of difference, but I have not set them up side by side. I look through the Swaro and think wow wish I had one. Then I look through mine a couple days later and think it's just about the same. Since I got new glasses last month maybe I need to set them up side by side.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 141
  • This month: 128
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80