. New and Improved Gas Cans?

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Is it just me or do these new and improved gas gans available for the past few years driving any other people nuts? They are supposed to be safer, but because of their design, spouts spring loaded, no air vents, and other lousy designs, I truly believe they are just the opposite.
No air vent, so when you finally get the spring loaded spout open to pour gas out and let air in, if there has been a temperature or barometric pressure change, the #$&@$& thing literally explodes splashing gas everywhere. Or pours slowly, gurgle, gurgle, taking forever to drain and pour, resulting in more spillage than the old types.
there are different kinds available, all purported to be safer, and I admit I do have one or two two smaller ones that could arguably have an advantageand possibly might be a bit safer than the old flip up the air vent and pop out the spout types!
Maybe im too old to learn new tricks, but some of these cans are slowly, maybe rapidly driving me nuts! Am I alone or do I have company??

Ps if I’m not alone, I have a great fix for these new cans that I’ll share if I figure out how to post a picture. But will wait for responses, and if I’m the only one having troubles, I’ll keep it to myself.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yep, I’m completely on board with you! You can buy nice vented metal cans that pour decent for about $80 a piece. I refuse to spend that much money on a a 5 or 6 gallon can. VIP Racing makes some decent ones but you’ll be in for $50 a piece but the time you buy the hose extension and other accessories. I have heard of guys drilling a hole in the cheap cans and installing a valve stem for a tire to make a vent also.

i finally got fed up with them last winter (16/17). Between the sleds, tractor, atv, golf cart and all the lawn garden equipment, there were weeks I was having to fill 5 to 6 of cans twice a week. I said the hell with it, went to O’day Equipment and ordered a 500 gallon tank and a 20 gallon per minute pump. Poured a concrete pad for it and wired it up. Best thing I ever did! Never out of fuel at the last minute, wife fills here car out of it, and I know it’s 91 octane ethanol free fuel. A 1000 gallon tank was only another $100 but I didn’t want to have fuel sitting around getting old for more than a few months. Besides, no delivery charge for anything over 250 gallons. If you live out in the country, it’s a great option.

Last edited:

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Same here on the bulk tank. I live 8 miles out of town and was always running the wrong way to get gas. Next time you are in Canada, stop at a walmart and by decent gas cans. That backward country has yet to see the benefits of these new fangled gas cans.

dwos03

Founding Member
Founding Member
I completely agree bobkat. These new gas cans are the worst. Leave it to the government to take something that works just fine and completely botch it up. This is where the old saying "If it aint broke don't fix it" comes in to play...

I'd like to see your fix for these cans.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't minded them, but I just use a couple 2.5 gal cans because I live in town. I can see the benefit of installing a vent.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked up one of these and they work pretty slick. First can I've had in years that worked as soon as you press the trigger and stop as soon as you let off.

hqdefault.jpg

dakotaeye29

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been using a safety siphon for a few years now. Works good for boat, jet skis, sleds anything that takes a jug or 2 of fuel. Take the spout off, insert siphon and shake to prime. You don't have to hold the can up either.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member

hardwaterdriller

Founding Member
Founding Member
For larger items like ATV,mower,golf carts, I use one of these cans from Home of Economy or Mac's for $20-22.
gas2.jpg

But for smaller items like chain saws, generators, weed eaters, push mowers, I have been using these:
gas1.jpg

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
They're a bit expensive, but I like the 5 gallon safety cans. Otherwise, all my old plastic cans are still old-school.

safe.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66