Banned
Banned

reputation_pos.png
Join DateApr 2018LocationBismarck, NDPosts35NDA Points836NDA Level11
Thumbs Up
Received: 54
Given: 3

[h=2]. New and Improved Gas Cans?[/h]

Is it just me or do these new and improved gas gans available for the past few years driving any other people nuts? They are supposed to be safer, but because of their design, spouts spring loaded, no air vents, and other lousy designs, I truly believe they are just the opposite.
No air vent, so when you finally get the spring loaded spout open to pour gas out and let air in, if there has been a temperature or barometric pressure change, the #$&@$& thing literally explodes splashing gas everywhere. Or pours slowly, gurgle, gurgle, taking forever to drain and pour, resulting in more spillage than the old types.
there are different kinds available, all purported to be safer, and I admit I do have one or two two smaller ones that could arguably have an advantageand possibly might be a bit safer than the old flip up the air vent and pop out the spout types!
Maybe im too old to learn new tricks, but some of these cans are slowly, maybe rapidly driving me nuts! Am I alone or do I have company??

Ps if I’m not alone, I have a great fix for these new cans that I’ll share if I figure out how to post a picture. But will wait for responses, and if I’m the only one having troubles, I’ll keep it to myself.​

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I couldn't agree with you more. There are bulkhead fitting vent kits available for about $10. I have seen them at Runnings in Bismarck. My brother uses them and says they work great. I just haven't felt like spending the money since I don't use my fuel cans all that often.

campchef

Honored Member
EPA at its finest. I found some old ones at a garage sale and I'm good for the rest of my life.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Aha! So I’m not alone!
A real simple cheap easy fix to add an air vent is to buy a tubeless tire filler thingy, 2 for about 2 dollars, or just bum a handful of used ones from your local tire shop. Drill a hole (I forget the exact diameter, but it’s easy to figure out with an expanding drill type bit. Stick the tire thing in the hole kind of like a grommet.. If you drill the right size hole it’ll fit perfectly, but takes a little finess to grommet it into the hole. And the occasional bad word. I drilled one a hair big, so found a washer the right size and gobbled it in with silicone seal glue. So far the gas fumes hasn’t weakened the silicone seal. Might be a more gas resistant glue, any Suggestions??
Then depending on the model of the spout, it’s easy to get the spring loaded stuff out, so it pours freely and usually the spout inverts and fits inside till needed. Unscrew the air cap when you need an air vent.
One of these days I’ll figure out how,to post a picture.
Those tubeless air filler things are designed to hold pressure from the inside, and some models tend to want to fall out and drop into the gas can. The best kind seat more like a grommet and once in, stay put.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76