Tick Season! What do you treat your pooch with and why?

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Advantix II because my vet has had good luck with her dogs with it. That’s all I got

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep away from internal meds,tough on the kidney's and liver,my breeder and the U of M doesn't endorse any topical meds because they are so toxic,read the label on these meds,they suggest you wear rubber gloves when applying,most work but at a price on your pup's health.Looking into the new collar thats out,good for 9 months.

Frontline works well but very toxic,May and June I keep my pup outof the long grass and burn what I don't mow just for ticks,my home county has the highest lyme per capita in the state, ticks lay dormaint until september until a hard freeze in october during summer months.

Last edited:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
We use Nex Guard- chewables on our current Springer. Our previous Springer got sick from Frontline Plus. Friend used Nex Guard on her dogs and it worked good. Asked the Vet and they said both are good but since previous Springer got sick with Frontline Plus we changed to NEX Guard with this Springer last season and now started this season. Worked good last year. ( we are at a wooded area on weekends so still make sure to check her over).

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always used the drops, they work very good. I use the generic brand over frontline. I've never had them get sick, but they'll slow down for a day. Just applied the first drop last night. I'll put one more on in a month, and hopefully thats it. I think two doses a year is best. I've used 3 a couple times but never more than that.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Frontline Plus because we also have a cat and Advantix is toxic to cats.

If you don't have any cats the Advantix is better because it repels ticks and mosquitos.

nybs

Honored Member
I switched from Frontline to Bravecto this year...frontline was working fine but thought one chewable every 12 weeks would be easier than 3 frontline applications during same period. I hadn’t heard about internal issues and got from our vet down here so hope it is fine.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just used frontline plus a couple weeks ago on our 9 month old pup, didn't seem to affect her one bit. We walk in the trees/grass multiple times a day, I've picked a tick off myself a time or two after walks, only picked one off her so far and she covers a few more miles in thicker stuff than I do. I read pros/cons to pretty much every tick defense, with all the cases of lyme and new tick borne diseases coming out, I think taking chances with any of the prevention methods is better than getting the disease. Every Vet is going to have their favorite, depends on where they went to school and what they learned in their last CE class, not much different than a human doc.

This thread is makin me itchy...

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
there sure are varying opinions on whether the stuff is good or bad for your dog. my anecdotal experiences weren't so good. but, a vet/member posted on this last year or the year before and convinced me there is/was nothing to worry about. even if they have bad side effects, tis kind of a horse a piece really since tick born illnesses aren't exactly good for your dog either. i've chosen to use the stuff. but, as little as possible. they get a couple of doses of fipronil in the form of frontline or an equivalent in may and june and occasionally july. and a a heartworm pill about the same times.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
GSP -- no ticks - they always are moving and the type of coat is antitick --- again why buy anything but the best.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seen some of the reviews on the ebay frontline. lots of negative ones with the worst saying the oil actually attracted ticks. woops. I don't know what I'll use again this year. I like the idea of collar but I hear bad things about all options.

bowhunter12

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nexguard is what we use....used Frontline in the past, but easy of use of the nexguard chewables is nice. They both have worked good for us. Those damn deer ticks are super small. Good luck finding them on your 4 legged friend. I found one on me once and is was probably as small as the period at the end of this sentence. Only reason I found it is because it was by my nipple (no kidding), pretty much impossible to find in your dogs coat of hair. It is the only time I found one on myself. Of course we go to MN lake country so prefer to protect. They have confirmed lyme disease in Turtle River State park in ND a year or 2 ago. Obviously much more prevalent in MN. The common wood ticks are much easier to find.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dm how many ticks have u picked off a short hair? They eat em they shake em off drown them. No dog has the ability to move as skin muscle vs a gsp. If I took mine and ahab took his what do u think we would be doing after a hunt ahab would be picking burrs and I would be reaching in a cooler. The nerves are biology closer to the tick. German engineering

- - - Updated - - -

No

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
short, i'm not saying they don't shed them easier but to never get one....thats a bit of a stretch. Taking my dog to navhda ended with me picking ticks off her and me leaving my clothes in the driveway.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70