South Dakota GIANT!

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
21571150-499E-451A-A5DE-49BF17D22D88.jpg

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty amazing fish for sure,amazing what the system is pushing out this spring!
We caught a 17 like that last spring, this is what it looked like next to a beer.:;:cheers

556 (2).jpeg

Last edited:

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty amazing fish for sure,amazing what the system is pushing out this spring!
We caught a 17 like that last spring, this is what it looked like next to a beer.:;:cheers

MV5BMTk5NTk0Njc3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzEwMDEyNw@@._V1_SY1200_CR84,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Wow! The Columbia River is impressive!

I am thinking of getting a group together to head out there. Is it best to get a guide, or just head out and go for it?

Founding Member
Founding Member
The way the river is here you probably have just as good of a chance to catch a good one here at home if you go out for a couple days in a row. Most guides out west focus on salmon. It's a long pull and the weather that time of year isn't the best for towing the boat through the passes. One thing that ruins allot of trips is the wind. Had friends drive out this spring and never got to fish a single day because of the high winds. It's a challenge that's for sure. The game and fish wants them wiped out. Folks can catch as many as they want, no limits on them along with netting. It will never be like it one was that's for sure. Sad

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cant wait until that thing migrates north and i catch him at Langliers. :;:thumbsup

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had heard a rumor about this fish, but figured someone was stretching it a bit. Every year you hear of all the pigs they net, well alomost every year. Growing up in Mobridge and then having a game warden friend who would come up and help with the netting, I've quite a few stories.

The funny thing is these pigs eggs are taken out of the system every year, so it would almost be like someone catching them and keeping them. Slots are a joke!

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had heard a rumor about this fish, but figured someone was stretching it a bit. Every year you hear of all the pigs they net, well alomost every year. Growing up in Mobridge and then having a game warden friend who would come up and help with the netting, I've quite a few stories.

The funny thing is these pigs eggs are taken out of the system every year, so it would almost be like someone catching them and keeping them. Slots are a joke!

These eggs are not wasted they are used for stocking other waters?

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member

And a % is restocked as fingerlings back to where they were removed.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where do you find 2oz cans of Coors light??:;:huh....................................;:;rofl...........Here piggy piggy.

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The way the river is here you probably have just as good of a chance to catch a good one here at home if you go out for a couple days in a row. Most guides out west focus on salmon. It's a long pull and the weather that time of year isn't the best for towing the boat through the passes. One thing that ruins allot of trips is the wind. Had friends drive out this spring and never got to fish a single day because of the high winds. It's a challenge that's for sure. The game and fish wants them wiped out. Folks can catch as many as they want, no limits on them along with netting. It will never be like it one was that's for sure. Sad

The system is good here... but I have seen some real incredible trophies come out of the Colombia like the one you have pictured. You could fish a lifetime in ND and not catch one close to as big as the Columbia River kicks out on a regular basis! It is on my list to go out there soon! It would be fun to get a big group together to make a road trip.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member

I personally know one of the biologists down there and he said they didn’t take the eggs from this fish.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76