• Round 6

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • RV style (7 blade)

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ok, looks like trailer wiring is the first one.

There are several different plugs on vehicles. I know you probably hate polls but I need to know which one to start with.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
all new vechiles come with the 7 pin plug. Even trailers that have 4 flat connectors i switch out to the 7 pin plugs so i dont have to mess with adapters

★★★★★ Legendary Member
all new vehicles come with the 7 pin plug. Even trailers that have 4 flat connectors i switch out to the 7 pin plugs so i dont have to mess with adapters

Good point, but not everyone has a new vehicle.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just keep an adapter in the glove box. Their cheap enough. Got one from cabels that plugs into pickup that does many different plugs and has a 12volt plug for your cleaning knives neat.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I convert everything to the 7 blade RV so all is consistent, used to and still do have all the adapters but its just a pain and then they get lose and worn out too and just creates another spot to mess with trying to get everything to work.

The advantage to 7 pin is if your vehicle has this you can have other trailer options like backup lights and accessory power that is hot all the time too. If your vehicle doesn't have one it still gives open slot options for such if you want to wire things into the extra spots.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
7 Blades are the nicest but if you tear one off or replace it, the colors don't go to color on the pin. Not sure why the hell that is but it doesn't work that way. There might be one or two of them that due but not all of em. I just can't remember off the top of my head. I keep a printed out sheet of all the different combo's in my tool box. There are several.

- - - Updated - - -

here is what I have.
https://www.google.com/search?q=7+p...--1oHbAhWsxYMKHSoOC3cQsAQIKA&biw=1212&bih=688

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
7 blade RV. I started trying to figure out what was going on with my car trailer yesterday. I looked up a couple items and from what I can tell, my pickup isn't finding a trailer hooked up that has a brake on it. Any help there?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
7 blade RV. I started trying to figure out what was going on with my car trailer yesterday. I looked up a couple items and from what I can tell, my pickup isn't finding a trailer hooked up that has a brake on it. Any help there?
did you look at the diagrams I posted? That should help a lot. usually when it's not detecting a brake system the trailer wire is on the wrong pin in regards to the truck. That pin can vary on different brands of trucks

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member

I find that they are finicky as to needing good grounds both through the trailer hitch and the ground in the plug. also if you have a bad wire at one of the wheel magnets it will break the circuit as well. Also clean the terminals in the connectors with aerosol electrical contact cleaners once a year or so to get the corrosion off and make sure the fuses are good and the pins are not bent over in the connectors, I have run into that a few times too.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I owe you guys an apology, I failed to get the article I promised done. I did not intend to spend the week driving 1200 miles for 5 appointments, the coming week doesn't look much better either.

I intended to write an article about wiring and trouble shooting trailers and take some photos of how to do it. I have my little point and shoot charging and some rough notes worked up so far.

I'm kind of dragging this morning but will start on it this afternoon and hope to finish it up tomorrow.

If you have any specific questions post them up and I'll try to answer them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62