Old Trolling Motor Issue

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have an older Minn Kota "Auto Pilot" trolling motor. It has the POS foot control that I KNOW you all have seen. Basically an on-off switch, a slide switch from 0-10 for speed, and a big pedal to control the head left or right.

Well, the control took a shit. I took it apart and tried to clean it a bit, but other than some poking and prodding I'm useless. I need a new control. Anyone know where I can get one? My Google mojo is weak as I'm struggling to find it online.

OR, better yet, do you know how to update it with a CoPilot?? From what I've researched this likely isn't possible due to the age of my trolling motor. But figured you redneck ninjas may have engineered something that works.

eliminator

Honored Member
I have a couple of the foot controlers with the flat plug on them. You are willing to have one of them if it will work for you. I had three but gave one away---would not cost you anything but I live in Pick City. Kept them from past motors that went bad for me and think they work fine as far as I know.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
my mom lives in Coleharbor and is headed to North Fargo (a couple blocks from Duckslayer) for graduation of a nephew so...

- - - Updated - - -

she'd be happy to deliver if someone can drop them off in Coleharbor

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would think you could install a new sideplate and make it a co-pilot....the one with the little remotes. I have a neighbor selling an old Minn Kota 12V 55 pound thrust with co-pilot. I think the compass is shot so it spins around in circles, but the co-pilot part should still be good. He only wanted $125 for it.

Otherwise eBay would be a good place to look for older stuff like that.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a couple of the foot controlers with the flat plug on them. You are willing to have one of them if it will work for you. I had three but gave one away---would not cost you anything but I live in Pick City. Kept them from past motors that went bad for me and think they work fine as far as I know.

Holy crap very generous of you! I'd definitely take one and compensate for whatever headache you go through to get it done.

- - - Updated - - -

my mom lives in Coleharbor and is headed to North Fargo (a couple blocks from Duckslayer) for graduation of a nephew so...

- - - Updated - - -

she'd be happy to deliver if someone can drop them off in Coleharbor

Oh man that would be SLICK. Eliminator, can you make it happen?? I'll send you Paypal money to cover the inconvenience and whatever else.

- - - Updated - - -

I would think you could install a new sideplate and make it a co-pilot....the one with the little remotes. I have a neighbor selling an old Minn Kota 12V 55 pound thrust with co-pilot. I think the compass is shot so it spins around in circles, but the co-pilot part should still be good. He only wanted $125 for it.

Otherwise eBay would be a good place to look for older stuff like that.

Everything I've read says that isn't possible with this model, but I'd love to find out more. I still want the pedal control, but it would be great to have another option. The unit works great as it is. I don't really want to swap it if I have to. But if I can upgrade it with Co-Pilot...boy...that would be slick.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some 8 years ago I was (one of) the trolling motor repair guys at scheels in Fargo. Those foot pedals were horrible. We would keep a stock of them. If memory serves me correctly, there was a co-pilot kit that was a plug and play with most of the auto-pilot motors. The earlier years needed a new board as they didn't come with the connection point on the PCB for the Auto-Pilot.

Keep in mind, this was quite a while ago. We started out in the big Scheels store, but the repairs eventually moved to the hardware store on 13th. I would give them a call. I don't know any of the guys working there now, but generally speaking, they were pretty helpful and could pull it up on the PC and tell you in a couple minutes.

eliminator

Honored Member
Duckslayer give me a call at 220-3368----will be going to audubon tomorrow and could possibly drop it at coleharbor----I don't want anything for it but can drop both off and whatever doesnt work for you just get back to me. Hopefully one of them will fit your motor.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
duckslayer give me a call at 220-3368----will be going to audubon tomorrow and could possibly drop it at coleharbor----i don't want anything for it but can drop both off and whatever doesnt work for you just get back to me. Hopefully one of them will fit your motor.

pm sent!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79