Yar-Craft 186 tfx or Nitro Zv18 With Verado Pro 200

Harris

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone on here running either of these setups? Seems like a lot of weight if your also running a kicker.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
nope but if I was replacing my 18ft boat it would be either of these two, with the nitro probably edging out the yar just due to the size of the boat, then I would have simons chip it to a 300. My buddy has a zv18 with 200 opti and his uncle has zv18 with 200 verado non pro. They are great big water boats for 18 footers, but they are tubs and slow by my standards 50-51 perfect conditions with opti and the baby verado is 46-48. I hear the 200 pro is a little slower than the opti but I have no real life experience with them.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally I agree they are both nice boats. I'd go Yar; but look to the left....I am bias. I think the overall quality of the Yar is better and I have spent plenty of time in the Nitro products FWIW.

I do think they are the 2 most capable sub 20 ft boats out there with Skeeter close behind.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chip the 200 pro on that Yar and hang on. It’s a screamer. The size of the nitro is really something for an 18footer. Both very nice boats that will handle some big water

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy the one with the most sparkles. Your welcome��

Harris

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chip the 200 pro on that Yar and hang on. It’s a screamer. The size of the nitro is really something for an 18footer. Both very nice boats that will handle some big water
Leaning twords the Yar-craft. The new mercury 200 v6 four stroke looks like a good fit for that boat too, considerably lighter and probably less expensive.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be starting my 4th season on a 186TFX w/windshield. I have a 200 Yamaha 4-stroke V-6 (19P Enertia prop) and a 9.9 yamaha 4-stroke high-thrust kicker.

I've never been in the ZV18 so I can't compare at all.

Here are some GPS/fuel-flow meter numbers.

Best fuel mileage based on fuel flow tied w/GPS speed are at 27-32MPH where over a slight chop I can be right @ 5MPG. 37-38MPH is ~4MPG. WOT is 50-53 depending on 2 or 3 people. I've never failed to see at least 50MPH even with 3 230#+ people.

IMO, everything else is going to be subjective/opinion so from here on out, take it for what it's worth. I'll answer any other questions you've got in regards to the Yar-Craft. FWIW, I really like it.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Leaning twords the Yar-craft. The new mercury 200 v6 four stroke looks like a good fit for that boat too, considerably lighter and probably less expensive.

I’m interested to hear more about that new V6. When are they available?

Harris

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like they are in production now. I thought I read May/June availability

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ya I run the nitro zv18 and I like it. ...i'm sure if you talk to any nitro dealer they could accommodate some time to get you on the water in one..I have the 200 verado and 15hp kicker and fully loaded and being heavy never been an issue for me seems like

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am real curious about Nitro Boats. Never heard much about them until the last year or two. And now they seem like they are heralded over all. I am not being sarcastic, just wondering.

FWIW I had a Ranger for 7 years and really wanted to trade for a Yar Craft but couldn't get it worked out. Dealer was condescending and insulting. Really need to know more history on the Nitro.

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
I run a nitro love it. They are heavy compared to the others. If you want to go really fast then lighter is the answer but in rough water I haven’t been in a smoother boat. I fish Lake Michigan and it can get rough out there but it does it’s job very stable boats. Mine is a 2014 and so far no issues.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Based purely on weight vs. my Yamaha V-6 4-stroke, you'd be getting the kicker for "free". That'd allow a guy to go to a 36V trolling motor, or, have a dedicated accessory battery and still be ~40# lighter than I am. There's darn few places a guy can shave 100# off of total boat weight and still have like or better performance and not give up any of the gear you'd normally carry.

Last edited:

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've fished both, both are nice. I'd lean towards the yarcraft for the speed and .layout.

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went to the boat show with the same dilemma, came our with a Triton. But by just sitting in the two boats of your choice, I'd go Nitro, nicer finish, yarcraft still has a way to go on their finish... Basic boat, old looks..also it felt like I sat way to close to the front , no room

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
When my kid bought a zv18 I almost castrated him. Tracker is the worst to their customers for warranty issues. Aside from the windshield he has had no issues and it had seen a pile of lake time. I can honestly tell you it’s the best boat I’ve fished out of and would buy one in a heart beat.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m interested to hear more about that new V6. When are they available?

I was out on Winnibago last week for the NWT Tourney. The Merc testing facility is there. I saw alot of boats of different shapes and sizes with new shaped motors and "disguising" covers running around. I believe some are being hung on boats but formal release for repower is August.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought hard about the zv18 but couldn’t make the price pencil out. They fish a lot bigger than normal 18’ boat. In the end, Yamaha won out. I didn’t really care what it was attached to.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've got the Yar-Craft with a 200 V6 Opti on a Jackplate, 9.9 Pro Kicker on a panther static plate and all of my batteries (trolling and starting) at the rear of the boat. At rest, it does sit nose high / stern low. Not to the point that you have to worry about anything, more just know that when you order it, get the 72" shaft trolling motor. I've been out in some really nasty conditions and have yet to dip a single wave over the bow. It however comes at the price that 60" shaft on my Minnkota isn't quite enough when the wind is blowing. End up using it and the kicker. keep telling myself I'm gonna order a 72" shaft TM but that's been going on 3 years now so........

Love the boat, very capable in rough water for it's size and excellent quality and workmanship but just remember, it's still an 18.5 ft boat. when the wind is howling, I still yern for a 21 ftr, lol. FYI, it's a screamer when the lake is calm. With a worked DAH Tempest plus I can run right between 59-60 mph with two guys, full fuel and live wells. My boat was a photo boat for Yar-Craft. Unloaded without the kicker and gear, they ticked over 62 mph with it. Extremely impressive performance for the size of the boat.

FWIW, mercury will be doing a press release on their new 4.6L V8 today which will be the power plant for the 200-300 hp pro xs series. Suppose to weigh in around 505-510 lbs, basically the same as my Opti. Would be a pretty sweet option, not sure when they'll actually be available though.

Feel free to ask any questions, I'm just starting the 4th season on my boat also so I've had plenty of seat time.

- - - Updated - - -

59.4.jpg

Best I've seen is 59.7 mph. have hit that speed about a 1/2 dozen times. can get over 59 regularly with a normal load. Will run 58+mph on a hot humid august afternoon on glass calm water and no chop. Load it up with 4 -6 people and a big chest cooler and some extra gear, can still squeeze 54-55 mph out of it however when loaded heavy or running rough water I switch props to a DAH customized Mercury Rev 4.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI, this is all on the big lake, no river current helping me :) lol

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82