Sailing

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had a chance to pick up a sailboat and have always found sailing intriguing but I don't know how to sail. Anybody here know how? What is the best way to learn?

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Growing up my grandparents had a little sunfish that we would play around on Brush lake. Was a lot of fun. How big of one did you get?

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Didn't get it cuz I didn't know how. Was a 26 foot McGregor.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best way to learn is crew with someone who knows what they are doing. I raced for 25 years on Lake Erie. I was fortunate to have two exceptional skippers to learn from. One thing I learned is the crap can hit the fan without warning. If that happens you may not be able to do anything to save your own life let alone someone else. In those 25 years I know of at least four deaths (not all by drowning). I also have witnessed some really bad injuries. All that said, it is an absolute blast. Had some great times and met some really fantastic people. There is not much sailing that goes on up here for whatever reasons. I would show up before one of the two regattas on Sak and ask around the dock if they need an extra hand. That is how I got my start.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't know anything about sailing, but a 25 foot sailboat must have a mast too tall to trailer thru most towns and under underpasses. So it would have to have a mast that can be laid down to trailer and you would have to be able to raise the mast by one or two people. All of the sailboats I have seen on the coast of CA were docked at a marina with access to the ocean.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish there was an easier way to learn around here, I feel like its something you almost have to grow up in around these parts. I did a week long sailing excursion around the BVI's about 5 years ago with a few friends and a hired captain, definitely one of the coolest things I've done. Since then i always do a day sail anytime i'm near the ocean. No way would i trust myself to sail at this point.

Last edited:

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most important thing that I have learned first from sailing a Sail Fish (much like a Sun Fish) and then later Hobycat catamarans is that you always tack into the wind 'cause if you don't, the beam will come slamming across the boat and give you or someone else a big goose egg or worse.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been on a sunfish once, a hoby cat once, and spent a couple of days on a 36 foot fixed keel sloop in the bahamas. I guess I'll hang around the marina on a nice day with a sad puppy face and see if someone will take me under their wing. Thanks.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Retired Guy I was not correcting your nomenclature, I was commenting on the sound it make when it finds someone's head. going in a circle around someone's head) ( insert visual of little stars going in a circle around someone's head) Everyone have a happy and safe weekend on the water.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
i know that fort stevenson has a regata every year, and there is a bunch of sail boats stored there all year, also i believe capt. kits marina has a bunch too and may have a regata as well. I see them sail around near the dam quite often

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69