How to choose the right flies

fishhoo

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy trout fly tackle box but don't know which one to choose. Thought someone here may help me figure this out. So the question is-if it's you, which one will you choose, pic A/B/C?
IMG_7415.jpg

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
C is a more well-rounded box but that price is ridiculous for what you get. You're going to want a good mix of dry files, nymphs, wet flies, and streamers. That's what you get with box C, but you should be able to get those files for the price of box B.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd choose the one that will fit into the space you plan on keeping it whilst you fish. The rest will work itself out when you find out which flies work where you fish. Good Luck!!

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't pick any of those boxes, myself. I see a bunch of stuff in all of those boxes that I wouldn't fish. Where you plan to fish will determine what flies you should plan to fish. Lentic or lotic water? High mountain lakes or valley reservoirs? Freestone streams or tailwaters? If you are fishing some place new, I would stop in a fly shop and talk to somebody. Get the lowdown on what's hatching while you'll be there, then buy flies.

Some of the things that can work across most locations are general nymphs (hares ears, prince nymphs, rainbow warriors, sow bugs, BWOs, caddis, damsel/dragonfly nymphs (especially for stillwater)) and types of streamers (wooly buggers, leeches, sculpin patterns). Dry flies can be really hit and miss, but some search patterns like hoppers and PMXs are good flies to always have.

- - - Updated - - -

C is a more well-rounded box but that price is ridiculous for what you get. You're going to want a good mix of dry files, nymphs, wet flies, and streamers. That's what you get with box C, but you should be able to get those files for the price of box B.

That price is actually pretty good. I would pay $1 per fly for any one of those flies.

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
B will be your huckleberry, just remember those gaskets keep water out which is great but if you put ur flies away wet the moisture will rust the hooks and cause problems.
A good idea to dry well and then leave open a bit at home to dry out as well.
Especially if you dont use as often as youd like.

My method for drying flies os to hang them on small twigs and branches till dry. Usually always right behind me as I cast.

- - - Updated - - -

B will be your huckleberry, just remember those gaskets keep water out which is great but if you put ur flies away wet the moisture will rust the hooks and cause problems.
A good idea to dry well and then leave open a bit at home to dry out as well.
Especially if you dont use as often as youd like.

My method for drying flies os to hang them on small twigs and branches till dry. Usually always right behind me as I cast.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
None of the above. All the flies pictured are subpar garbage tied by Sri Lankan children. Either tie your own or support an American tied assortment from an American owned fly shop. Discount fly websites and big box stores that support kids tying flies in indentured servitude can gargle nards.

Or PM me, tell me what you’re fishing for and where, and I’ll tie an assortment for you.

Last edited:

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wooly buggars, san juan worms, and anything that looks like a smelt. Im no expert, those are just my favs

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
I’m with Camoman and some others. Trouble with all selection like these is that you buy a lot of flies that you’ll never use. And I’d hate to see anyone support some of those Far East slave sweat shops, mass producing unusable junk.
Most important thing is where are you going to fly fish and for what species? Take up any offers from fly guys for advice and help. Where u located? There are some fly clubs in ND though some are pretty sparse right now. I’d help you but going to be away a lot this summer.
Get the basics, woolly buggers, various leech and minnow imitations, and take up fly carpin on his offer. You’ll never forget it. Fly fishin ND can be really fun!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74