Buffing out dock rash

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a used aluminum boat that has a couple small spots of dock rash that are deeper than the paint , Does anyone know of a way to get pigment or paint into the scratches and buff and blend ? Iv'e never buffed aluminum so this will be a new adventure. What products work well ? I have the 3 part 3-M buffing compound for cars, Will that work ?

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There was a thread about this last year. PM Riverfisher, I think he knows what the process entails.:;:howdy

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had to look again , Still didn't find a scratch thread about aluminum boats . I saw the fiberglass boat scratch thread.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Color match Nail Polish in the scratch with a thin layer of clear over the top has worked for me when I cared about fixing scratches. If you're careful with the clear coat, buffing is unnecessary. Now, I just don't look at the scratches anymore and I'm much happier.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Every scratch tells a story.;:;popcorn:;:thumbsup:;:cheers;:;boozer:;:smokin;:;banghead

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every scratch tells a story.;:;popcorn:;:thumbsup:;:cheers;:;boozer:;:smokin;:;banghead

like the time you had a few beers and came in a little hot up to the dock... I would like to forget those stories.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks KDM , I knew there had to be a way just wasn't sure what it would be. Now to find some lund blue nail polish . This boat is new to me so I 'll fix the scratches that I don't know the story about and I'll start a new chapter of scratches and include a few, Dings and dents to make it interesting.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Paint is paint, wether its on aluminum or fiberglass. Go to a local paint store and have them match the paint with a prophet reader. Get a bit in a single stage paint. Apply 3-4 coats in the scratches with a touch up brush until tje scratches are filled. Sand smooth with 1200-1500 paper, then buff.

If the scratches are real deep you can apply body filler with a razor blade first.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks MSA , I'll take your advice , I think that will match up and blend in better. There is very little oxidation but it could use a light buffing, Will 3-M auto buffing compound do ok or is there something special about the gel coat compound. Thanks for the advice.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
prophet reader?

sub-buzz-9212-1468299162-9.jpg

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I might not know what I am talking about when I say gel-coat on an aluminum boat , Clear coat might be the proper word. Or there might not even be any at all . Just going by what someone told me.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
That 3 step 3M compound is the best Ive ever used, and ive been buffing cars, boats, n even tub surrounds with it for 15 years. Just doesnt work well on raw aluminum, leaves it hazy n milky colored, doesnt put the mirror shine in it.

- - - Updated - - -

A prophet is a camera like machine that takes a pic of a color and formulates a matching color.

- - - Updated - - -

A local body shop should be able to put together a color for you to.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
That hazy and milky color you speak of , It did the same thing when I tried it on my SKi-daddler hood, It's aluminum color fiberglass.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was it a single stage metallic paint? If you try n buff single stage metallic it smears it all to shit because the compound moves the metallic around. With single stage finishes you can only buff solid colors. Colors with pearl or metallic have to be two stage, base coat clear coat to buff.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some sort of metallic silver on Fiberglass , What ever they had to work with in 1967 .
daddlerbindersign.jpg.w560h420.jpg

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
I’ve got some BIG scuffs and scratches on my 18 year old blue lUnd. I’ll try some of,the suggestions, but I expect I’ll just have to live,with them. Great ideas for,smaller dings, though! At least my old boat never leaks a drop, so I’ll forgive it’s used and abused looks!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70