Sunglasses!

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm thinking of spending up for this next pair. I wear the same pair all the time, except at work, so durability is a plus. Definitely have to be polarized.

Whats good out there? Anything to stay away from? Can I buy online or should I try them on in person?

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have Maui Jim and costas. Both are prescription & both are very good. I wear my costa set up more often. My costas have the real glass in them not the polycarbonate stuff. I would try them on in the store to see what really fits you right. Then by all means order online if you can find a better deal

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to be a “real glass” guy - they are hard to scratch.

But the weight savings, combined with tougher plastics/coatings, has me using light weight plastics nowadays.

you know... the kind that wind will blow right off your face

I’m a Maui Jim fan.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are going with high end Maui Jim or Costa … go somewhere and try them on, then search the interweb for a better price, yes they are expensive but if you’re not the guy that drops them in the lake or sits on them they are worth it and will last

I feel brands like Oakley and UA are over priced and once you get pushing $150 plus for glasses might as well just go with Costas

HOWEVER the interweb is full of less than $100 brands…
One brand that I have a few pairs of that I really like is HaberVison … the Blast frames with interchangeable lens , the rose blue mirrored polarized work great on the water with a price tag of $55

Last edited:

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ll agree with the lighter Maui’s. I seem to have a better fit with most of the costas. Plus they have some killer mirrored shades. I look more dapper in the latter:cool:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
like my wiley x and they have been beat to hell and keep on going

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wiley x. You never know when you will need the safety lenses and didn't know it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
try Maui’s High Transmission (HT) lenses - for some reason my eyes want more light than most lenses will pass

i.e. old guys with dim eyes benefit from HT technology

- - - Updated - - -

I have a decent pair of wiley x but my eyelashes touch the lenses

I hate that

NDHick

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a pair of Oakley's with the polarization for water a few years ago. I spent over $200 on them but they have saved my a$$ on the river more than once. Not sure if other companies have this same polarization but it is definitely worth it.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had to go prescription, but love my Oakley Polarized for fishing. I've had them 3 years and lenses are still in great shape and I can wear them all day and feel comfortable.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve tried Oakley, Maui Jim’s, Smith, and Costas. Costas were a no brainer as far as on the water glare cutting and comfort. Plus if you get the green mirror lenses you can scope out buns at the beach without getting busted

Bought Costa Fantails online after trying on a buddy's pair. We do lots of bowfishing where polarization is needed and they have been awesome. Never go on the water without them.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been wearing Oakley since 1991 (prescription since about 2002) and just ordered my first pair of Costa today. We shall see.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Prescription Oakley x2
prescription Glass Coasta x1
Prescription Maui x3

Strongly prefer Maui’s.

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love my wiley x glasses. They are ANSI rated for both the frames and lenses. They have a climate control series which I have that allows me to put in a seal for dust or cold weather. Great for the days mowing, or running the big lake in november with the Lund. They also greatly support the military which I like. Their frames are worn by many in the military because of their durability standards.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried Native years ago. Didn’t fit me and the lenses popped out. I’ve had a pair of Oakley flak 2.0’s for going on 3 years. The frames are tough as heck. On my second pair of lenses but I wear them on my face or hat every day. Last summer I bought a pair of Maui aviator style after trying them on. I loved them! They were so clear and comfortable. Last winter they flipped off my head and went down the fish hole. I just ordered two pair of Costas to try. First pair the lenses popped out Day two. They’re in getting fixed. The other pair will be here Monday. I’m hoping I like them. The Oakley’s are wearing out. It’s all about fit if you ask me. Try a lot on and see what feels good.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Can't go wrong with Costas. I had a pair when I was early 20s. Got stolen. Couldn't afford another pair till about 6 years ago when o realize the better the sunglasses the more protection. Had my current pair for 6 years. They are prescription and had to "upgrade" the prescription once. Now frames are starting to wear out. Will be in the market for a new pair soon. So comfortable I would rather where my sunglasses than regular glasses.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74