Boat engine repair

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there any place in Minot to get engine work done on a Yamaha outboard. Vallely won’t touch it because it isn’t 2008 or newer. It’s running rough at low idle. Runs fine at higher rpm. Any help is appreciated.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take it to Carey at 6mile corner by Garrison. He will get ya fixed up right

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
New fuel w/no ethanol and a healthy dose of Seafoam. New plugs. 10min WOT. Muffs on a hose and carb cleaner right into the butterflies running @ max fast idle is a fairly quick and efficient problem solver too. IME, new plugs and fresh fuel solve A LOT of carburetor issues 2 or 4 stroke.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
New fuel w/no ethanol and a healthy dose of Seafoam. New plugs. 10min WOT. Muffs on a hose and carb cleaner right into the butterflies running @ max fast idle is a fairly quick and efficient problem solver too. IME, new plugs and fresh fuel solve A LOT of carburetor issues 2 or 4 stroke.

That just about covers it. One last attempt is have the old lady drive the boat punching the throttle wide open and letting off right away when you spray seafoam in the carbs, If that don't giter BOAT or a hundred or two unless you like to tinker.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
there is a guy north of minot that is supposed to be really good (dont know his name), 6mi corner and carey can hook you up if he isn't too busy(just outside of garrison on highway 83), north country marine in garrison as well, and mild 2 wild in bismarck would be the places I would look.

supermag

Founding Member
Founding Member
They won’t look at anything older than 2008? Wow, that’s not very old for an outboard. I live in Minot and haven’t found anyone up here for my older Yamaha. I’ve used Boat Works in Mandan and been very happy. I’ve heard good things about 6 mile. Reason I’ve gone with Russ at Boat Works is that he does appointments and you don’t have to drop it off to get “in line”.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
The places that won't work on old stuff makes me wonder if they just suck as mechanics.

Just hook the computer up and do what it tells you apparently is good enough these days.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
given that motor my guess is sticking rings. I would run sea foam and ring free in it all the time. It may come out of it. May not.

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out Pure Honda in Minot.. they are a boat dealer now so I assume they have boat mechanics also

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
First I've ever heard of ring free, I need some. Can a guy squirt it in the plug holes and let it soak ?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77