Non-resident fishing license

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why is ND behind the curve ball with prices for non-resident fishing licenses? Have been fishing a lot of our smaller fishing waters in South Central ND. We are literally inundated with out of staters. $45 is all we charge . If they want to enjoy "our" resources, I believe they should "pony" up... Mostly Mn., and Sconi plates. I do realize some are home for the holiday.

campchef

Honored Member
Same can apply to sales tax. I was behind a couple from Montana in the local Target store and learned they didn't have to pay sale tax on items purchased in ND yet they pay a pittance for their resident hunting and fishing license while we as out of staters get hosed for the privilege.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Behind the curve? ...i'm goin to fish Wisconsin next month and plan on buying a non resident annual license because I will be also goin for a week in the fall, and non resident Wisconsin season license is 50 bucks..... so are they under charging as well?

dbllung

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the quality fishing opportunities ND offers the NR, they are getting by way too cheap! I feel like our great state of ND is a playground for the neighboring states, and they are taking advantage of it!! I have no desire to buy a fishing license in either of the previously mentioned states, they are flocking here for good reason...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remember, ND fees are set by the state legislature.

This is the same body of people who for years have watched their kids flee to other states for economic reasons. So when their kid(s) and grandkids come home, they don't want them to pay an arm and a leg to go fishing with gramps.

At least, that's my theory.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mn non rez is $51/season...right in line with nodak as minnesota sells over 20k non rez tags to nodak each year and alot of these folks have summer cabins here and visit almost every weekend,no complaints here regarding non-raz folks,plenty of water and lakes to fish for all...

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let's remember, not paying sales tax isn't a privilege it's a way of attracting people to shop instead of going elsewhere. Most states aren't to bad for fishing licenses, MT is pricey though. Another thing we can blame on the hippies out west. Same with NR hunting, brutal. That being said, how is the ND economy compared to MT? MT bleeds red numbers all around.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The states east of us are all right around $50, the states west of us are all right around $100. i say we split the difference and go to $75:)

Most states you can buy by the day as well, I'm going to ID this summer for 4 days and the license is only like $35. I'm pretty sure my Manitoba license for Winnipeg this year was only like $30 as well. Fishing is pretty damn cheap everywhere.

Last edited:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let's not forget about ND RESIDENT FREE fishing this weekend. All other laws apply, just no license needed for ND residents this weekend.#$%^&>

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Mn non rez is $51/season...right in line with nodak as minnesota sells over 20k non rez tags to nodak each year and alot of these folks have summer cabins here and visit almost every weekend,no complaints here regarding non-raz folks,plenty of water and lakes to fish for all...

The GIANT difference is people go to Minnesota to recreate and have family time. Maybe take the pontoon out for some sunnies or maybe a walleye or 2 at dark. MN and WI people come to ND to fill freezers and take no prisoners. Which if they are within the law i really cant have a problem with. Just stating facts

Last edited:

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
when I go to Wisconsin next month I'll make sure I catch enough to "fill my freezers".... take some of the pressure off the lakes around here

good luck with the slot fish. There's a reason they travel all this way and it aint for the scenery bub

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
The GIANT difference is people go to Minnesota to recreate and have family time. Maybe take the pontoon out for some sunnies or maybe a walleye or 2 at dark. MN and WI people come to ND to fill freezers and take no prisoners. Which if they are within the law i really cant have a problem with. Just stating facts

THIS IS EXACTLY what we do at our Mn lake property. Often times the wife and I and our dog pontoon around the lake and never wet a line.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always figured our price should be the same as theirs for us.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
It should be no less than $100 for a NR fishing license .

Seriously dude? You complained rampantly on a different forum about the cost of the MT non-resident combo tag but now you want to jack up the price for a NR fishing license in ND? Come on man. That's unbelievable.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a little conflicted on the out of state fishing license cost. I grew up in ND but haven't been a resident for 45 years. BUT my brother, sister and I have some farm land that we pay property taxes on. My wife and her sisters and Mother - ditto. We pay ND income tax on our farm income. The wife and I own a cabin on Metigoshe and pay pretty high property taxes on it. But since the cabin is seasonal and we cannot live there 183 days of the year I cannot change my residency from CA to ND. We live here 5+ months a year and pay state sales tax.

I guess I really shouldn't bitch - my resident CA fishing license costs more than my non-resident license does here in ND.

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just paid for my Saskatchewan Canada yearly non-resident fishing licence, $100 Canadian which is right at about $77 USD

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67