Sonar interference

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm installing a Humminbird 688CiHD in a boat that already has an older LMS 334c mounted in it (I know, Both junk but it will get me through the summer) After reading almost every electronic topic on here I still have questions. Seeing that birds are noted for interference, would I have better luck with two hummingbirds in the boat or a bird and a Lowrance or won't it matter much ? 688 will be mostly for running lakemaster and the other unit for sonar. If you had to punish yourself and decide between The LMS 334c or a humminbird 777 for one summer which one would you go with ? I was going to get a lake map for the Lowrance but it's obsolete and hard to find .

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I probably would not even install the transducer for the bird, and use it strictly for mapping. Especially if you are going to be fishing Sakakawea a bit. Run the Lowrance for your sonar.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll have to go into the settings and see if I can disable the sonar , The only reason I'd like the transducer is to tinker with the DI once in a while and have a backup

- - - Updated - - -

Quick disconnect mounts are nice but the downside is that you can't just unhook a cable without tearing it apart.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a garmin next to my humminbird -- raised up the humminbird so the SI wouldnt see it -- no interference on either machine -- even on 2d

To the ones that say mapping on garmin is terrible --- WRONG. i like the map better than the bird that has lakemaster.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are your wires close together short ? I read where you can get wire interference. I have a easy access wire loom so I'd like to string them right along side the lowrance wires for a few feet. About half ways, I have a portable case so I can move it around the boat. It's easier to ask questions than it is to do it twice. Thanks for your input.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
wires touch on the dash when they go through the hole and back by the hull when they go though that hole in addition they lay together all the way up. Now Garmin has a extremely thick wire -- i dont know if that is insulation or not. In addition i wired them to the same ground and same port on fuse box. Keep in mind the garmin is chirp and i am running it in chirp that may be the difference. Now my lowrance and humminbird on the ice -- the lowrance never has interference -- but the bird always does when i run those two close together on ice.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75