Cold blooded 9.9 Mariner

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are all the mariner 9.9 cold blooded or just mine ? My new to me boat has one and it takes way too much cranking when it's cold . The guy I bought it from said they have an accelerator pump so I pump the bulb and I pump the throttle and it still takes a while. Once it warms up it starts nice.

- - - Updated - - -

4 stroke

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The trick to that is it has to be in gear for the accelerator pump to work. Prior to starting pump the primer bulb. Put it in gear then turn the throttle full on and off three times. Put in neutral and make sure throttle is in start position. Choke and start. Run on choke until it kinda starts to run crappy then move the choke in about half way for a bit. Then once warm enough close the choke. This is the procedure I had to use with my older merc. 9.9 and it worked great.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Eye, I knew there must have been a trick . I was pumping it with the Neutral button pushed in.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Worked like a charm Eye, I have it in a barrel of water and pumped it in gear and it worked so good that I almost had it flooded.
I'll have to check the choke/fuel enricher solenoid because I don't hear a click and it doesn't seem to matter if I push the key in or not. I'm just guessing that's how the choke works , I don't see any other knobs or buttons.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
if it's an electric choke it'll have a solenoid and should click. might be getting weak enough you can't hear it anymore either. might need somebody to listen.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I owe you one Eye, I probably would have never figured that one out. I let it run for about 10 minutes last night and this morning it started as soon as I touch the key and idled smooth right away. I set the idle speed down just a tad after it was warmed up good, do they load up at all when you slow idle them ?

- - - Updated - - -

Electric Solenoid must be working , I feathered it a couple times.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
4-stroke shouldn't load up idling low unless you're running rich or have oil blowing past the rings. My 2012 9.9 4-stroke Yamaha needs a couple pumps of the bulb and the choke the 1st start of the day. Once you've run it even just idling a couple minutes it starts with a quick press of the starter button. If I don't pump the bulb a bit and choke, it'll turn over for quite a while before it starts.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
They each have their personality don't they. One thing I won't do is sit and run the starter till it's hot. I see guys doing that at the dock a lot, It shouldn't be.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They all have their sweet spot for starting. Learn it, then its ditto ditto ever after.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
four strokes won't load up. You may get a little smoke for the first few minutes due to incomplete combustion/pooling of fuel when it's cold. Soon as the combustion chamber heats up enough it will be gone.

- - - Updated - - -

I owe you one Eye, I probably would have never figured that one out. I let it run for about 10 minutes last night and this morning it started as soon as I touch the key and idled smooth right away. I set the idle speed down just a tad after it was warmed up good, do they load up at all when you slow idle them ?

- - - Updated - - -

Electric Solenoid must be working , I feathered it a couple times.
anytime. glad I could help.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67