2017 Alaska Caribou Hunt

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We finished up our film of our caribou hunt from last fall. We hunted off of the Haul Road north of the Arctic Circle. Was some amazing country can't wait to get back to Alaska this September! Hope you enjoy.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow! That has to be one of the toughest hunts around with such little cover. Great video. Heartbreaking that you didn’t find him!

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, great video (I first saw it on Steve's FB page) and amazing country!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
that is crazy - it's like bowhunting antelope in oil country

I had no idea a guy could just drive up there and hunt that way.

Pretty depressing you didn't recover it.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats one tough ol' bull. Obviously had a prior injury as well. Sure knows how to soak up those broadheads assuming thats what got him the first time.

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
that is crazy - it's like bowhunting antelope in oil country

I had no idea a guy could just drive up there and hunt that way.

Pretty depressing you didn't recover it.

That's what we were joking about calling them the antelope of the north. the terrain sort of even looked the same as sage country in WY just a very wet version.

yes was extremely depressing we went from such a high of finally getting an opportunity for a shot and positive he was going down right in front of us to never seeing him again. We spent so much time chasing those two bulls and had about 7 stalks where we got less then 80 yards from them and spent hours sitting very close to them while they laid down.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yotkilr,

Cool video thanks for sharing. Couple questions, did you guys drive all the way up or fly in and rent a pickup? How long a trip was it and what were your costs if you don't mind sharing? Seems like a fun low budget adventure but maybe not as low as I think. Just curious thanks in advance.

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yotkilr,

Cool video thanks for sharing. Couple questions, did you guys drive all the way up or fly in and rent a pickup? How long a trip was it and what were your costs if you don't mind sharing? Seems like a fun low budget adventure but maybe not as low as I think. Just curious thanks in advance.

My buddy Steve who was filming we used his pickup. His wife is up there for a little over a year in medical school rotation. So last year he still wasn't a resident so we took advantage of having our own vehicle and tags that were over the counter and easy access for non residents. So i flew up and we drove his pickup north the 500 miles from Fairbanks. The renting of a vehicle is were it gets expensive most places wont even rent to you if they know you are going up the haul road. places that will usually come at a good price. The cheapest way to go we heard is a U-Haul pickup they are not real expensive and apparently don't ask what your doing with it, but if more than 2 people would probably not be great as they are just single cab pickups. We did meet some older guys from Colorado that rented a F-250 with a slid in camper in the back seemed like a slick set up (other then it being a ford) but they said it wasn't cheap.
For those that don't know if your with in 5 miles of the haul road its archery equipment only no shotguns even. there are no roads that go out from the haul road so walking only and the ground being soft and spongy wears you out very quickly. If i was to do it again i would probably hire someone to fly us out the 5 miles so we could have the option to use the rifle. We did see a few rigs of people that drove up from the lower 48 all the way if you had 3-4 people that could all take the extra time I'm sure would save a ton on air fair and wouldn't have to worry about all your stuff making it. we spent 7 days including driving up and back. Hope i answered your questions ok if yea get the chance i would recommend going just the seeing that country was worth it.

This fall Steve will be a resident so we he be going after mountain goat when I'm up there and I'll get a black bear tag. I will be flying up and then driving one of his vehicles back as he and his wife are coming back to ND later in the fall.

Let me know if you have any other questions ill try help you out.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good video,
Looks like did all you could do with the time you had to find him.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The only rental company I know of that lets you drive the Haul Road is Alaska 4x4 rentals. I tried to post a link but it wont let me because i don't have enough posts.

I've rented probably 20 different times in Fairbanks and all the rental companies at the airport are very strict about driving off paved highways. It is mentioned probably 5 times before they hand over the keys and then they make you sign twice. They have been burned a bunch and they have learned their lesson so don't expect to get away with it. I'm not sure on the U haul but that may be a decent option. Only problem with U haul is that through my experience, they refuse to give you a spare. Don't think I would take that risk on the Haul Road. With no cell service, you could be sitting there for a couple days of your hunt.

What the companies are charging for fly outs up there is getting WAY out of control. Almost to the point its hard to justify without doing a combo with another species. I think there are still a couple air boat transporters that will get you off the road if you want to go that option. Usually cheaper.

O ya, and good video!

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only rental company I know of that lets you drive the Haul Road is Alaska 4x4 rentals. I tried to post a link but it wont let me because i don't have enough posts.

I've rented probably 20 different times in Fairbanks and all the rental companies at the airport are very strict about driving off paved highways. It is mentioned probably 5 times before they hand over the keys and then they make you sign twice. They have been burned a bunch and they have learned their lesson so don't expect to get away with it. I'm not sure on the U haul but that may be a decent option. Only problem with U haul is that through my experience, they refuse to give you a spare. Don't think I would take that risk on the Haul Road. With no cell service, you could be sitting there for a couple days of your hunt.

What the companies are charging for fly outs up there is getting WAY out of control. Almost to the point its hard to justify without doing a combo with another species. I think there are still a couple air boat transporters that will get you off the road if you want to go that option. Usually cheaper.

O ya, and good video!

Very point guess I never thought of if they give you a spare tire or not. We only seen one Uhaul pickup up there and looked uncomfortable as they had 4 guys squeezed into a single cab lol.

We did hear of a guy out of Coldfoot (Only real place about half way up the haul road) that flys people out for caribou for $500, but unless you had a vehicle up there like us would still need to rent something to get that far.

We also did see and hear a lot of air boats going up the river and seen them leaving down the road. Most looked successful as we seen racks in almost all of them. Never looked into them so no idea on cost.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77