Cleaning weathered look on inside of Ranger

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member

The plastic ??? or whatever it is on the top part of the inside panel on my 2014 185 Reata is somewhat faded and kind of blotchy. Is there a product I can treat it with that will bring back some luster to it. I tried a couple of 303 products to no avail.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's what I would try first too. seems like it will work good for mst plastic parts but there are some that just sty dull no matter what you try. . If yours is stubborn like some old snowmobile parts that I tried almost everything on then you can rub it down with a mixture of 1/3 boiled linseed oil and 2/3 paint thinner . That works like a charm.

- - - Updated - - -

thorson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try a product named SC-1. You will never use armour all again!

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
Okay, I had to try this myself after I heard/seen it but a friend of mine had an old Chevy pickup and the dash was faded brittle and had some cracks. He said he was going to use Vaseline as Armour-All didn't treat the vinyl with the softeners it needed to bring it back to original. We'll I'll be damned if it didn't work! It took a couple applications to bring back the pliability but it was in pretty bad shape. He said his dad turned him on to it years ago. Works on wiper blades, vinyl, plastics and the rubber seals around doors and windows. The downside is it isn't pretty and shiny like Armour-all but I really done car about the shiny part.
Best way to use it is on a nice hot day, give it a coat with your fingers or from a rag, let it set for a couple hours and wipe of the excess. Repeat as needed. Works really well on wiper blades that get stiff and clean well one direction but don't the other.
Much cheaper than any vinyl protectant on the shelf too.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dont use Armour all on anything. Its will actually dry out rubber and plastic. I will only use 303 for protecting vinyl, plastic and rubber. It is not silicone based like Armour All.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Stuff called Aerospace 303 works well and has a lot of UV protection built in.
still, if it’s an old boat like mine, nothing will bring it anywhere back to new, any more than all the magic stuff advertiseD on the internet will bring my ancient sun damaged weathered wrinkled up face back to its former youthful splendor! LOL

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stuff called Aerospace 303 works well and has a lot of UV protection built in.
still, if it’s an old boat like mine, nothing will bring it anywhere back to new, any more than all the magic stuff advertiseD on the internet will bring my ancient sun damaged weathered wrinkled up face back to its former youthful splendor! LOL

I have tried it and you are correct. I would like to get a little of the luster back. I have an older Ranger with very few sparkles. And as you said JayKay I do take very good care of my STUFF.
;)

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
I’m going to try the Vaseline trick, too! The surfaces of my old boat are flaking off a bit and the interior all looks....well...old! Doesn’t bother the fish, but starting to look tacky.

Does anyone have any ideas for replacing old worn out carpet? The idea of climbing in and around the boat tearing out and installing new carpet is pretty daunting to this old fart! My other older boat, a Boston Whaler is all fiberglass which cleans and shines up like new, even though it’s also about a 2000 model. A huge advantage of fiberglass, IMO.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77