New broadheads this year?

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anybody trying new broadheads this summer/fall?

I've been shooting Steelforce Phatheads the last couple years, and while they fly great and are built like mini razor tanks, I haven't been overally impressed with the blood trails.

I just picked up a pack of the new Slick Trick Wicked Tricks and some Black Hornet Ser-Razors. Both fly great, right with the FPs and Phatheads out to 60 yards. The Black Hornets have thicker blades and I've heard great things about the bloodtrails and penetration with them. Right now I'm leaning towards the Slick Tricks, just for the bigger hole.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am new to it i am going use strickland helix my brother in law shoots them and they have performed

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
NAP Killzone 125grain,, If your shooting a bow and arrow setup (weight) that has enough KE for it., It is devastating on whitetails and antolope. Love me a good blood trail :)

Founding Member
Founding Member
VPA heads are about as tough as they come.
Machined from a solid piece of carbon steel, deadly little works of art with zero things to go wrong.

https://vparchery.com/product/vpa-3-blade-broadheads-100-grains-vented-1-18-width-3-pack-2/

vpa.jpg

Last edited:

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up 6 of the 100 grain vented Iron Will broadheads to use this year. If you haven't heard about them yet, definitely read up on them. They are expensive ($99 for 3), but they have a lifetime warranty on bends/breaks and they are manufactured in ND. The business itself is based out of CO.

They fly great, and it appears that they kill even better. During testing, guy were using the same head on multiple animals each year with no sharpening in between and no damage to the head. I can't wait to try them in the field.

https://www.ironwilloutfitters.com/

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll check out those VPA heads, been using the same Rage 100 gr. for a long time and have had zero problems with them, blood trails like a garden hose but all of the horror stories make a guy wonder. Do these broadheads mentioned above come with a practice head?

Founding Member
Founding Member
No practice points but they sharpen easy enough. I know guys that have killed 20+ critters with the same head.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be using the same muzzies that I've been using for 25 years.

Ain't broke,ain't gonna try fixing!

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried the black hornet non serrated last year. No complaints here. Flew like my field points out to 60 yards.

125 grain head with a 42 grain insert on black eagle carnivores was a great set up for my bow.

clean shot on the deer, not a great blood trail but hunting from the ground and a higher shot than I would like will do that. That isn’t the broadheads fault.

deer was down in about 100 yards.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
You don't realize how many broadheads are out on the market until this topic gets brought up and you see how everyone is shooting something different. I personally love mechanical Grim Reapers. I've shot them for a long time and have zero complaints. They fly like a field point and leave a giant exit hole.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
g5 montec for me again. deadly, but blood trail has been hit and miss on wither there is an obvious one or a spec here and there type trail. normally they don't run very far so its not a huge deal to me.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am on the list to get the new Thrive broadheads when they hit the market for my shop. The guy who invented them has an instgram page and they look awesome! Mechanical held in place by magnets and built like a tank. Check them out.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
the guy making them has been saying “almost ready to sell!” For 3 years now....

I am on the list to get the new Thrive broadheads when they hit the market for my shop. The guy who invented them has an instgram page and they look awesome! Mechanical held in place by magnets and built like a tank. Check them out.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made the switch to the DRT single bevel and won't be switching to anything else anytime soon. Done with mechanicals after shooting these beasts!

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I tried the G5 T3 expendable's for a couple years and killed deer. Not really impressive. I always go back to the old tried and true Muzzy 4 blades.

Fish On!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
still have a quiver full of QAD Exodus and Grim Reapers. Trick is to be able to get out and actually use them.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There are a ton of options out there. I've been trying some different fixed blades the last couple years. 2 years ago I settled on the Phatheads after trying the VPA 3 blades and a couple others I can't remember. I wanted the VPAs to work for me really bad, the non vented version is a solid head, but just didn't fly the best for me.
I like the looks of the Iron Will heads and have heard great things, I just can't bring myself to spend 100$ on 3 heads, lifetime warranty or not. I doubt they replace the head if you can't find it haha.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing new in my quiver this year. G5 Montecs for this guy again. They just plain work for my style of hunting and I REALLY like that they can be resharpened after a shot. Like was stated before: "If it ain't broke......."

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep - G5s - not messing with something that flies like field points do - and can be sharpened

Last edited:

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
What broadheads do you guys run with light poundage bows? Im going to get my wife into bow hunting and she will be shooting 30-40 lbs. I personally shoot grim reapers and love them but Im not sure how well mechanicals work in light poundage bows.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75